What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

3 minutes ago, betoney said:

A helpful tip for air filter maintenance. Replace the 11 mounting screws in the air box lid with hex head screws, I think I used 10mm, that way you can use your 10mm socket on a cordless drill attachment and have the job done in no time. šŸ‘šŸ»

Very good idea.. itā€™s still apart and will take your adviceĀ 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

This works well too

Ā I'm gearing up for my 22000 mile maintenance

Couldn't find a new air filter in my attic stock, so I cleaned and oiled an old filter.Ā  Then of course I found the new one...

If you're careful and use the right cleaning solution, soft brushes and compressed air, OEM paper filter clean up nicely and are good for another 20000 miles.

20211228_162513.jpg

20211228_163210.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

21 hours ago, Garybinnyc said:

Very good idea.. itā€™s still apart and will take your adviceĀ 

Be careful not to strip them when tightening!!! Most screw guns will quickly wreck the coarse, plastic threads of some lower air boxes. Ā Even the smaller M5 or M6 screws can be quickly ruined.

I use a cordless screwdriver with variable torque settings and a P2 bit to REMOVE, but always install by hand.Ā 

I hope that saves somebody some misery Ā 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, skipperT said:

I hope that saves somebody some misery

I'm putting plugs (all 16 of 'em!) in my Ram truck today...Ā  Other than more alcohol, do you have any misery-saving suggestions for me, too?Ā Ā  :)Ā 

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2021 at 2:15 PM, texscottyd said:

I'm putting plugs (all 16 of 'em!) in my Ram truck today...Ā  Other than more alcohol, do you have any misery-saving suggestions for me, too?Ā Ā  :)Ā 

Yikes! Never done thoseā€¦ are they as bad as the Fords where you have to buy a special tool to break off the spark plugs and re-tap the cylinder head/extract them in order to install new ones?

ā€¦and beer. Ā Beer is good. šŸ‘šŸ»

-S

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Is the fun stuff before the real maintenance work begins

Ā 1st I tried the rubber covered pegs then went to the wider ATV That were adjustable And loweed about 3/4 of an inch and about 3/8" forward but they've made shifting awkward so now I'm trying similar but round pegs

20211229_201333.jpg

20211229_201322.jpg

20211229_201536.jpg

20211229_201951.jpg

20211229_201554.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

20211229_201536.jpg

Ā 

These really do look quite nice. The grip tread certainly looks aggressive. Are you finding you have to adjust your shift position (and/or shift-assist linkage), since this footpeg arrangement has your boot sitting both outboard and lowered from stock? I am guessing that contributes to the outermost portion of the shift rubber being worn first.

• Premium Member

Both the foot shift linkage / lever peg & brake pedal had to be adjusted down for the lower pegs.Ā  Adjusting down the brake pedal is a bit tricky and entails modifying the adjustment mechanism.

Being outboard about 10 mm for me really is easy to adapt to, as the bike is so narrow, and I naturally am a bit pigeontoed as part of my riding body control movements.

The previous wider, flat topped ADV style pegs required ankle manipulation that took adapting to and added awkward movement, lifting and re-orientating foot and ankle that delayed the shift, and I felt added risk versus a narrower, rounded top peg.Ā  The new pegs do have a more aggressive grip pattern but not really more than other metal racing pegs.Ā  I hope the narrow 1" diameter (less the depth of the "knurling") of the new pegs, which have significantly less surface / load bearing area than the stock height (elevation) flatter rubber covered pegs I had (but really not less than the OEM pegs, which are also shorter in length), do not impart comparatively more stress on the bottom of my foot due to their corresponding increased PSI.Ā  Now I wear good quality MC boots with reinforced, stiff soles, which hopefully will dissipate the increased concentrated load from to the narrower pegs.

Besides being able to lower and move forward the prior ADV pegs (which the new pegs also can be adjusted), I wanted their massive increase in surface area.Ā  However, the new 1" diameter pegs are actually effectively about 5/16"+ lower than the ADV pegs because the latter are that much more thicker in height.

A lot of thought must / should go into foot peg design and their positioning.Ā  Adjustability for race bikes has been developed for decades, and has now trickled down to mass produced bikes, as evidenced by the pegs on the 21 T9.

I have not had an opportunity for a test ride, as winter is now upon us after a record late snow fall season.Ā  I last rode on 12-13, and could have ridden a few more times after but had surgery the next day!

Stay tuned for images of my new shift lever peg rubber cover!

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:43 PM, Instinct28 said:

I purchased my 2015 fj-09 in July and from then I've put a BMC airfilter in and cut the snorkel half way up in the air intake box. Then replaced the seat, Sargent seat an the rear shock with a K-Tech and cut off the muffler and slipped on a Competition Werkes. Now I've replaced the rotors with Galfer wave and HH Sintered pads front and back. I also put a sump guard on it.

Next is Andreani fork cartridges and ECU flash.

Also, my clutch was slipping so I ordered the OEM plates and springs off Partzilla. $250. Watched a couple YouTube videos and tackled it myself. The old plates were fine so it must have been the springs but I put the newĀ  in anyway and it works great. Sometime in theĀ  summerĀ  I might do theĀ  slipper clutch. I need a new rear for the summer so there's one on Amazon, Pirelli Angel ST $125. Going with a 190/ 55-17. Good looking tire and great price. I only got 4 to 5000 miles out of a Shinko Raven but I only payed $97 for it on Amazon. I really don't like buying off of that site because they are anti free speech and pro Communist but they have great deals.Ā 

Ā 

20211231_112026.jpg

Edited by Instinct28

Ā IĀ hope the narrow 1" diameter (less the depth of the "knurling") of the new pegs, which have significantly less surface / load bearing area than the stock height (elevation) flatter rubber covered pegs I had

I had similar concerns when I brought over these Oberon Racing Pegs from my 2005 YZF-R1 to my 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa, but ran them for 12 years before trading in the Busa, now they reside on the 900 GT:

OLDER_RightSide_closeup.thumb.jpg.023e1ecc87c3662caef7f4dc777d554a.jpg

Ā 

However, Warchild-wife was having none of the factory pillion footpeg business, she directed me to bring back her comfortable FJR1300 rubber-covered footpegs. Yes, ma'am.Ā Ā 

FJRpassenger.thumb.jpg.b4e0d0b3077b2e632dd3100b6b5d49bc.jpg

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

Also, my clutch was slipping so I ordered the OEM plates and springs off Partzilla. $250. Watched a couple YouTube videos and tackled it myself. The old plates were fine so it must have been the springs but I put the newĀ  in anyway and it works great. Sometime in theĀ  summerĀ  I might do theĀ  slipper clutch. I need a new rear for the summer so there's one on Amazon, Pirelli Angel ST $125. Going with a 190/ 55-17. Good looking tire and great price. I only got 4 to 5000 miles out of a Shinko Raven but I only payed $97 for it on Amazon. I really don't like buying off of that site because they are anti free speech and pro Communist but they have great deals.Ā 

Ā 

20211231_112026.jpg

Ā Why didn't you just install the slip assist clutch?

Partshark.com has a complete kit including the hub, dampers, springs and plates for maybe less than what you paid for just the stock friction plates & springs from Partzilla...

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Warchild said:

I had similar concerns when I brought over these Oberon Racing Pegs from my 2005 YZF-R1 to my 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa, but ran them for 12 years before trading in the Busa, now they reside on the 900 GT:

OLDER_RightSide_closeup.thumb.jpg.023e1ecc87c3662caef7f4dc777d554a.jpg

Ā 

However, Warchild-wife was having none of the factory pillion footpeg business, she directed me to bring back her comfortable FJR1300 rubber-covered footpegs. Yes, ma'am.Ā Ā 

FJRpassenger.thumb.jpg.b4e0d0b3077b2e632dd3100b6b5d49bc.jpg

I wanted the adjustable pegs I could lower and move them forward for more leg room and less rear bias.

Do the same rubber pegs for the pilot fit the pillion?

I don't need them because I ride solo but am just curious.Ā 

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Do the same rubber pegs for the pilot fit the pillion?

I don't need them because I ride solo but am just curious.Ā 

I know the FJR1300 footpegs fit the 900 GT natively, just like FJR1300 hard cases do. I don't recall if the pilot/pillion footpegs are interchangeable, tbh, but it stands to reason they might be.Ā 

11 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Ā Why didn't you just install the slip assist clutch?

Partshark.com has a complete kit including the hub, dampers, springs and plates for maybe less than what you paid for just the stock friction plates & springs from Partzilla...

Oh really. I'll check into that. The cheapest slipper clutch that I've found is $780Ā https://biohazardcycles.com/yoyodyne-t22503-mt09-slipper-clutch-kit-mt-09-fz09-14-21/