What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Clean machine!

What pattern you running on the Blaster?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

On 5/31/2022 at 5:21 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I wasn't talking hp but comfort and especially handling and brakes.

A FJ back then was a poor man's XR which is a rocketship but other than a QS and CC didn't have a lot I wanted for the complication and shekels. 

The GSX1K back then had worse fueling issues no one seemed could cure and was definitely NOT a sport tourer or could readily or cheaply converted to one.  The Ninja was an is an excellent ST at a great price but for me was heavy and had too sport committed ergos. Ditto for a VFR.  I not only rode both enough to know they didn't fit me but working on them is a shit show due the fairings, and the V4 also doubles the # of cams and working in the V is a PITA..  Plus I didn't want more that 3 pots and short of a Duc MS twin then, which were and are primo lira and non too reliable, offer limited and pricy dealer coverage and parts availability. 

I don't regret the money and more so the time I've spent to make my FJ my own, as it's the journey not the destination I enjoyed.  And I knew going in 105 HP at 470# was adequate, though 10 more #' would be nice and match my VTR.

Pure HP is fun occasionally but as long as it can easily crack a ton and still get me 500++ miles a day in comfort I'm a happy camper (or used to be when I didn't need a bed and bathroom LOL).  Don't the XR and KTM SDgt get like 33 mpg too?  A Triumph ST/Tiger and BMW RT had / have the same foibles as the Duc MS.

Yeah, no argument.  Beginning to end, I was at no point saying spending money on farkles in general was bad, just that spending money on go-fast farkles is incredibly inefficient in terms of money spent to zoomies zoomed.

Performance mods are very expensive and (short of VERY expensive ones, like turbos) net very minimal performance gains.

That's it, nothing about more comfortable seats, suspension, etc.  That's generally something you have to do with almost any bike, unless you're getting very much the top tier models. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, no argument.  Beginning to end, I was at no point saying spending money on farkles in general was bad, just that spending money on go-fast farkles is incredibly inefficient in terms of money spent to zoomies zoomed.

Performance mods are very expensive and (short of VERY expensive ones, like turbos) net very minimal performance gains.

That's it, nothing about more comfortable seats, suspension, etc.  That's generally something you have to do with almost any bike, unless you're getting very much the top tier models. 

I have never put money into engine mods except an ECU flash or dyno tune just for optimization and efficiency. 

My "go-fast" upgrade has always been suspension.  Ride a stock bike with notoriously sub-par suspension like the original FZ09 or FJ09 and then ride one with well setup suspension and its very noticeable how much faster (and in control) you can ride.

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Apparently I rode it through a black hole and was briefly teleported to a parallel universe.   

6,770.5 miles in a little under 4.5 hours… there’s a glitch in The Matrix:  

855F1959-FE4C-4D5C-898B-A14C23A2D08C.thumb.jpeg.7b3c9a27a50c99315e012fb665316760.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
On 6/4/2022 at 8:11 PM, Warchild said:

Today I washed the Oregon snow-melt splooge from all the little nooks and crannies - a tedious but oh-so necessary task.

image.thumb.jpeg.887a756a36086870403ad7def2897a20.jpeg

Try one of these, saves water and fast!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VX947W1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SPY1CLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753FSQN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got out riding!  Is anyone else riding less and enjoying it less because it's over $20 to fill the tank now? I am.  All my riding is now joy riding. No commute, maybe a store run.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Got out riding!  Is anyone else riding less and enjoying it less because it's over $20 to fill the tank now? I am.  All my riding is now joy riding. No commute, maybe a store run.

No, not at all.  I only use my bike as a recreational vehicle because I WANT to not because I HAVE to as an only means of transportation.  I ride as often as the crappy NW weather allows.

A few weeks ago I took a week long trip to California where gas was getting close to $8 in a few places, over $30 to fill the tank but I had the time of my life.  I have several more trips planned throughout the summer. 

• Thumbsup 3

I haven't seen anything close to $8/gal here in southern CA, unless $6.70 is considered close, which I suppose it is come to think about it.

I'm just happy there are no fuel shortages.  In the distant past we had shortages AND high prices.

Anyways, in the past week I've installed my new Corbin saddle.  This caused me to need handlebars a little further back, so I ordered a Helibar adapter online.  The thing arrived from ME to CA 36 hours later!!  The 21 Tracer has a different front brake hydraulic set-up compared to the instructions that came with the Helibar, so a little improv was required.  Once installed, the Helibar solves most of the ergonomic trouble caused by the new saddle.

The Corbin takes a lot of break-in, and that is what I will be doing for the next few days!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I haven't seen anything close to $8/gal here in southern CA, unless $6.70 is considered close, which I suppose it is come to think about it.

I encountered those prices for premium in Lee Vining and Lone Pine.  Most places averaged about $6.50.

image.thumb.png.b3b1fb365f16579474f51dc258559208.png

• Sad 2