What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I haven't seen anything close to $8/gal here in southern CA, unless $6.70 is considered close, which I suppose it is come to think about it.

I'm just happy there are no fuel shortages.  In the distant past we had shortages AND high prices.

Anyways, in the past week I've installed my new Corbin saddle.  This caused me to need handlebars a little further back, so I ordered a Helibar adapter online.  The thing arrived from ME to CA 36 hours later!!  The 21 Tracer has a different front brake hydraulic set-up compared to the instructions that came with the Helibar, so a little improv was required.  Once installed, the Helibar solves most of the ergonomic trouble caused by the new saddle.

The Corbin takes a lot of break-in, and that is what I will be doing for the next few days!

I presume you've been riding at least 5 years longer than me and you may  remember the early seventies better than I do, because I was living in San Francisco rather than San Diego at the time.  I don't know if it was crazier in San Francisco or LA but we did have the zodiac murder, the zebra killers, and the SLA weapons liberation at a sporting goods store in Oakland. And Patti Hurst's family creating the foundation for the food for needy Grocery giveaway's

I can't remember where Patty robbed the bank

you later had the SLA finale in West LA But Patty was out of it by then And she married her bodyguard and God knows what she's doing today

Anyway, I remember the 1st oil embargo and what it did to gas supplies resulting in lines that wrapped around and up the hill and down the other side in San Francisco because it Doesn't have a lot of level ground for gas stations

I think my BSA tank had 2 and a 1/2 gallons worth of regular so I could slip in to an unused pump, throw the kid a couple of bucks, cause God it had gone up to 79 cents a gallon from the 29 cents two years before.  While the cagers  Sort of understood and were too stoned to stop me, I was on my way on my way in 5 minutes

I was in San Diego during the 2nd oil embargo and it was more organized this time as they got into the even - odd plate system.  But again because I only had a motorcycle it wasn't that big of a deal for me.

Corbins are as hard as a rock and take a long time to break in based on my derriers personal experience and they're heavy as h***

Maybe you should look at another set of bars with more sweep either with or without the bar adapters.

Let's see some photos of you pounding out the miles for us!

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

I encountered those prices for premium in Lee Vining and Lone Pine.  Most places averaged about $6.50.

image.thumb.png.b3b1fb365f16579474f51dc258559208.png

I can't see anywhere in your photos if that's E10

Can you even get E0 anywhere in California anymore

I have to go about 70 miles to Wisconsin for E0 90

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I can't see anywhere in your photos if that's E10

Can you even get E0 anywhere in California anymore

I have to go about 70 miles to Wisconsin for E0 90

Yes, its E10.  As expensive as gas is in Washington, E0 is an additional $0.50 per gallon over E10.

This website lists all current stations that sell E0, there is an app as well. https://www.pure-gas.org/

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I was in San Diego during the 2nd oil embargo and it was more organized this time as they got into the even - odd plate system.  But again because I only had a motorcycle it wasn't that big of a deal for me.

A bit off-topic, but the second round in 1979 prompted my first venture in entrepreneurial business:   14 year old me instantly saw the opportunity to take advantage of the long lines of tired, frustrated, thirsty, and hungry drivers.   It started with selling cold drinks out of a cooler pulled along in my Radio Flyer wagon, but quickly evolved into a pretty sophisticated enterprise:   Way before Uber Eats, my 'team' would take orders for McDonalds, and deliver to your car for an appropriate service charge.   Suddenly the Value Of Convenience became VERY apparent to me:   It was about a 70% margin business, fully burdened, when it was all said and done.   The real breakthrough was having a secret 'off menu' option for beer, which I pretty quickly figured out who to profile as the perfect 'Hey buddy, you want something special?' target.   Probably illegal, but hey... I was a kid in Southern California.  

My first street bike was a nice 1976 CB400F, purchased with the money I netted (tax free, of course) from this little venture.   Good times... 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 5

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, its E10.  As expensive as gas is in Washington, E0 is an additional $0.50 per gallon over E10.

This website lists all current stations that sell E0, there is an app as well. https://www.pure-gas.org/

I have pure-gas on my cell but around here you learn which counties are epa limited to E10 or worse.

Only 50 cents! Here it's about a dollar or more

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

A bit off-topic, but the second round in 1979 prompted my first venture in entrepreneurial business:   14 year old me instantly saw the opportunity to take advantage of the long lines of tired, frustrated, thirsty, and hungry drivers.   It started with selling cold drinks out of a cooler pulled along in my Radio Flyer wagon, but quickly evolved into a pretty sophisticated enterprise:   Way before Uber Eats, my 'team' would take orders for McDonalds, and deliver to your car for an appropriate service charge.   Suddenly the Value Of Convenience became VERY apparent to me:   It was about a 70% margin business, fully burdened, when it was all said and done.   The real breakthrough was having a secret 'off menu' option for beer, which I pretty quickly figured out who to profile as the perfect 'Hey buddy, you want something special?' target.   Probably illegal, but hey... I was a kid in Southern California.  

My first street bike was a nice 1976 CB400F, purchased with the money I netted (tax free, of course) from this little venture.   Good times... 

But are you still an entrepreneur?

even a CB400F was above my pay grade in 76... by 80 though I bought a brand new CB750F with a matching metallic silver Vetter Quicksilver frame mounted fairing.  Sold it 6 months later and stuck with my Matchless' and 2-smokes.  Burning Castrol Castor bean oil and gasoline in the morning smells like victory!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

But are you still an entrepreneur?

Maybe a little…  I work for a big tech firm now, but I ended up here when the software firm we founded was acquired.   I can legit say that I’m going to retire in a couple of years without ever having had a ‘real’ job…  

My sons & I do dabble in buying & selling motorcycles and cars as a little side hustle.   Nothing serious, but it keeps us entertained & provides a little supplemental recreational income.  

CB750 to a Matchless?  You are a glutton for punishment, Bret!  😀

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I had this match list and sold off probably 5 of them and AJS

Sold my Witworth tools too  A bunch of special tools as well

Then in the early eighties I went to the Japanese and haven't looked back

Those euros have got some stuff going as well the new moto guzzi It's so tasty

I bought and sold basket cases through the seventies to feed my habit for side hacks with AJS 600 twins

I can't retire I'm too poor I'm hoping my kids will keep us in the style we're NOT accustomed to when I finally maybe pull the plug in a couple of years

If you're ever down this way you know where you can stay, out in the shop  With whatever you ride air conditioned and heated carpeting Wi-Fi fridge

On 6/9/2022 at 2:20 PM, peteinpa said:

Got out riding!  Is anyone else riding less and enjoying it less because it's over $20 to fill the tank now? I am.  All my riding is now joy riding. No commute, maybe a store run.

Not even a little bit.  In the grand scheme of my budget, spending an extra $10 per tank does not dissuade me whatsoever.  

I mean, it sucks, sure.  But fuel costs riding are still much cheaper than driving for me, so there's no reason not to commute, and my fun riding is my #1 favourite entertainment activity.  If it costs more, it costs more.  What else am I going to do anyways?  Everything costs more.  It's not like gas is special here.  

$2.19 per liter is just my life now.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 6/10/2022 at 11:15 PM, betoney said:

I encountered those prices for premium in Lee Vining and Lone Pine.  Most places averaged about $6.50.

image.thumb.png.b3b1fb365f16579474f51dc258559208.png

Ouch!  That's (at the current exchange rate) about AU$10 a US Gallon!

I thought we were paying too much at the equivalent of around AU$8.00 for 89 octane/gal (our 95 octane).

The winds of change are blowing.  Inflation is on the march!

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

In the past when I felt cheap I pumped mid grade or even regular. 

I've heard here a few routinely run mid or regular (89 & 87).

Is E10 89 (or 88) still an option for us 1st and 2nd gen motors given we have no knock sensors and ignition retarder?

Are octane boosters (which raise in real RON Octane AKI # not "points") ever more economically viable given their cost has risen less % wise than petrol / gasoline?

If so, which booster gets the best marks?

NOS Racing Octane Booster and Lucas Octane Booster are two rated the best.

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The only time I've run premium is two or three tanks of gas prior to winter storage (no ethanol).  Otherwise I've run exclusively 87 Octane E-10.  20,000 plus miles to date.  The bike doesn't care. 

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've heard here a few routinely run mid or regular (89 & 87).

On 6/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Corbins are as hard as a rock and take a long time to break in based on my derriers personal experience and they're heavy as h***

Maybe you should look at another set of bars with more sweep either with or without the bar adapters.

Let's see some photos of you pounding out the miles for us!

This new Corbin saddle is as hard as they come.  I've been sitting on it for days now and it is still like lumber.  And it is probably true that I need a little more rearward movement of the bars, with the Corbin, than I'm getting with the Helibar adapter.  In order to make that happen, I'll need a longer clutch cable and a longer front brake pipe.  I tend to adapt myself to a new motorcycle rather than adapt the bike to me, so I will give this some more time before looking for new handlebars.

Yeah, it's hard for me to take pics of things.  I'm so busy making history I don't find the time to document it.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, peteinpa said:

Got out riding!  Is anyone else riding less and enjoying it less because it's over $20 to fill the tank now? I am.  All my riding is now joy riding. No commute, maybe a store run.

I've been commuting a bit on a Suzuki GZ250. It gets about 75mph

20220507_143823_resized.thumb.jpg.dfbbeaa775a7745a2c11634531aab4cf.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 2