What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I've been getting the Tracer ready for a trip to the Black Hills area of South Dakota. Fresh oil, new tires, and bags packed! Now I need to wait until Thursday morning :(

Keep an eye on the weather, I’ve postponed more trips than I’ve taken this year. I was planning on taking off Thursday morning but am pushing it back a week. 😩

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

I've been commuting a bit on a Suzuki GZ250. It gets about 75mph

20220507_143823_resized.thumb.jpg.dfbbeaa775a7745a2c11634531aab4cf.jpg

Nice, just like my first bike. A left over DMV GZ250 with 9 miles on the clock, picked up at the State auction.

• Thumbsup 1

41 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

Nice, just like my first bike. A left over DMV GZ250 with 9 miles on the clock, picked up at the State auction.

It's also my daughters first bike. She doesn't take her Motorcycle Safety Class until July, so I've been driving it some in the meantime.

• Premium Member

Belt n suspenders

Unsrung weight but still very light and sturdy, I had the rear paddock stand lift Bobbin / sliders and added the axle sliders

I have a host of other little things to do, call them functional farkles, FF.

I did all the heavy maintenance before my last surgery so now it's just a matter of biding my time and seeing if in a month or so I can finally get on the road again.

I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again

20220608_200145.jpg

20220608_200408.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

After my 3000 mile trip a couple weeks ago (did 12 SE states on almost exclusively 2-lane backroads), I decided to change the oil and clean her up.  I've just completed the oil change.  Thank goodness for the fans I have in the garage to keep from absolutely sweating to death.

The oil filter did not want to come off.  The sized filter remover and even my nylon strap remover didn't budge it, so it was Channel Locks to the rescue! 

58265C76-B9B9-4E84-9491-CFFAC657749F.thumb.jpeg.37140196d243161b0a3af186558b4bfd.jpeg

The filter held on for dear life but eventually relented.

FA76DCCA-B650-4367-9DD2-12C1ADA6F5F7.thumb.jpeg.37cd79876e51a3cbbc8da0ace99555b1.jpeg

I had picked up a lot of Shell 4T oil for the Tracer and Ducati when Advance Auto put it on sell back in the winter, so I gave her the good stuff.

36B82A06-4B85-4C16-A3E8-2013C81C8BF5.thumb.jpeg.301c3f448248578cdf32575d3b186032.jpeg

One thing to note is that I almost overfilled her.  Luckily I short fill my changes, start the bike, let it get to temp, and then turn it off and let it settle to check the level.  I noticed it was pretty damn close to the upper end of the sight glass.  I did some math (I was already barefooted, so that helped) and then looked at the bottle.  That's when I noticed the Shell bottles are in litres, not quarts!  I was still just under the 2.7L the service manual calls for.

Now it's time to pretend it's a Harley and clean it stem to stern.

{I have no idea why it uploaded the first two pictures upside down and the third correctly}

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 3sum said:

After my 3000 mile trip a couple weeks ago (did 12 SE states on almost exclusively 2-lane backroads), I decided to change the oil and clean her up.  I've just completed the oil change.  Thank goodness for the fans I have in the garage to keep from absolutely sweating to death.

The oil filter did not want to come off.  The sized filter remover and even my nylon strap remover didn't budge it, so it was Channel Locks to the rescue! 

58265C76-B9B9-4E84-9491-CFFAC657749F.thumb.jpeg.37140196d243161b0a3af186558b4bfd.jpeg

The filter held on for dear life but eventually relented.

FA76DCCA-B650-4367-9DD2-12C1ADA6F5F7.thumb.jpeg.37cd79876e51a3cbbc8da0ace99555b1.jpeg

I had picked up a lot of Shell 4T oil for the Tracer and Ducati when Advance Auto put it on sell back in the winter, so I gave her the good stuff.

36B82A06-4B85-4C16-A3E8-2013C81C8BF5.thumb.jpeg.301c3f448248578cdf32575d3b186032.jpeg

One thing to note is that I almost overfilled her.  Luckily I short fill my changes, start the bike, let it get to temp, and then turn it off and let it settle to check the level.  I noticed it was pretty damn close to the upper end of the sight glass.  I did some math (I was already barefooted, so that helped) and then looked at the bottle.  That's when I noticed the Shell bottles are in litres, not quarts!  I was still just under the 2.7L the service manual calls for.

Now it's time to pretend it's a Harley and clean it stem to stern.

{I have no idea why it uploaded the first two pictures upside down and the third correctly}

If that was your 1st oil change I would think you would have done it at 600 miles per the manual But regardless if it was the original filter, I think they put them on with a 6' breaker bar at the factory.  Everybody seems to have had issues removing the original filter...

• Premium Member
On 5/16/2022 at 2:22 PM, roy826 said:

The GT+ has arrived! Arrived late Friday and the lead tech at the shop fell ill. He’s in bad health shape and the only one I trust there to do the PDI on my bike. He was out Saturday and they’re closed on mondays. So I’m hoping it gets put together tomorrow Tuesday. The panniers ship separately due to their size. Hoping they make it by weeks end. I ordered the over priced oem heated grips Saturday for it. It should have come with these. But I see why Suzuki does it this way. Some buyers do not want them on their bikes and this model is sold as a GT and GT+. They are all GTs until you add the panniers and it becomes a GT+.

How is it compared to the Tracer?

I've got a new Corbin in process of breaking-in.  It is doing nicely, but still a ways to go.  A few days ago I ordered a new Shoei Neo-Tec helmet to replace my aging Harley (HJC?).  Then, progress interrupted by this:image.jpeg.00ed912cc67e6137fcdfcca88c9c0eb9.jpeg

Big piece of left ear removed (4th surgery there in 5 years) yesterday because Skin Cancer. So, can't ride, can't try out my new helmet when it arrives on Monday, because can't get it on my head.  The first surgery I had on this ear, I had just bought my new FJR and couldn't bear not to ride it. So I forced a medium RF900 onto my stupid haid and tore out stitches.  Not gonna make that mistake this time.  I'm slow to learn, but I do learn.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

If that was your 1st oil change I would think you would have done it at 600 miles per the manual But regardless if it was the original filter, I think they put them on with a 6' breaker bar at the factory.  Everybody seems to have had issues removing the original filter...

Nowhere near my first change. I have over 20k on the clock but somehow the filter got super tight. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

I've got a new Corbin in process of breaking-in.  It is doing nicely, but still a ways to go.  A few days ago I ordered a new Shoei Neo-Tec helmet to replace my aging Harley (HJC?).  Then, progress interrupted by this:image.jpeg.00ed912cc67e6137fcdfcca88c9c0eb9.jpeg

Big piece of left ear removed (4th surgery there in 5 years) yesterday because Skin Cancer. So, can't ride, can't try out my new helmet when it arrives on Monday, because can't get it on my head.  The first surgery I had on this ear, I had just bought my new FJR and couldn't bear not to ride it. So I forced a medium RF900 onto my stupid haid and tore out stitches.  Not gonna make that mistake this time.  I'm slow to learn, but I do learn.

Holy s*** I thought I had it bad that's got to be the most frustrating thing that you're ready to go except for your friggin ear

Has it affected you're hearing it's gotta be somewhat muffled lol

Hopefully they've taken care of the problem and in a few months you'll be able to get some nice fall fall riding in without worrying about the heat at least cause that's gotta be a pain with your ear  Is literally

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, 3sum said:

Nowhere near my first change. I have over 20k on the clock but somehow the filter got super tight. 

Hmm

My FJ was the 1st bike in 40 years that I had a filter  Loosen slightly

It just wanted to give me a nice sphincter moment when my peg got slippery running high speed down the road

Tightened it up didn't lose much oil but put on a big hose clamp and safety tied it back

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Hmm

My FJ was the 1st bike in 40 years that I had a filter  Loosen slightly

It just wanted to give me a nice sphincter moment when my peg got slippery running high speed down the road

Tightened it up didn't lose much oil but put on a big hose clamp and safety tied it back

If you have to safety wire everything you might as well do track days. 

Was a glorious day for a ride, dropped the kiddo off at the old folks home and ran around 350 miles. Wife decided it was time for a big girl bike as well. Sadly the  white z650 she had her heart set on was gone before we got there so we'll wait a bit longer.

PXL_20220618_122839827.jpg

PXL_20220618_163646428.MP.jpg

• Thumbsup 5