What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

First time out on her for about a month earlier , just finding new roads around my part of Fallon NV.

Finally found a rear rack for sale , hopefully that'll turn up this week. Slowly getting the bike to how I want it 😎 

20220619_202913.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

National Weather Service alert for Houston today:  “...HEAT INDEX VALUES REACHING 105 TO 107 DEGREES THIS AFTERNOON MAINLY ALONG AND EAST OF THE I-45 CORRIDOR...”

So, to showcase my infinite wisdom, I volunteered to chase cones around an asphalt parking lot for a friend who was instructing an MSF class just off I-45.   Hot doesn’t begin to describe the experience… 

632BBC62-99F6-46C1-B6F1-ABF7236027CC.thumb.jpeg.51ec340b4d8ea1400cbaef071780ef7c.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, pilgo said:

First time out on her for about a month earlier , just finding new roads around my part of Fallon NV.

Finally found a rear rack for sale , hopefully that'll turn up this week. Slowly getting the bike to how I want it 😎 

20220619_202913.jpg

At least you're on the right track

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, pilgo said:

If you want to venture outside of Fallon, this is a full- day ride, but its PHENOMENAL!

Ebbetts Pass, Sonora Pass and Monitor Pass

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 6/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, betoney said:

If you want to venture outside of Fallon, this is a full- day ride, but its PHENOMENAL!

Ebbetts Pass, Sonora Pass and Monitor Pass

And it follows along CA4 that I love.  In 2017, I was on a California ride and one day we were on 4 and stayed in Arnold at the Meadowmont Lodge.  Nothing fancy at all but everything you need and owners that did anything for you to make your stay pleasant.  Big plus is the Snowshoe Brewery literally across the street with a restaurant.  Sadly Ebetts Pass was closed so we didn't get to go much further up 4.

• Like 1

Took her out and cheated on her right in front of her with a lovely sleek Ice Grey BMW S1000XR, a vixen half her age. (full option 21 model) image.thumb.png.82fcd221c2ededca34ad4f11569393a0.png

I was ready to leave her but I've come crawling back with my tail between my legs.

The XR surges and hunts all over the rev range in any mode. The extra high BMW screen sucks as bad as the Tracers. I much enjoyed the looks, seating position, electronics, smoothness apart from the surging, the display (they really nailed it) but the tracer actually put a grin on my face when I rode back home. Power everywhere. 

I am disappointed because I was committed to start a new adventure and have been known to stubbornly follow through when I set my mind on something but I must be getting wiser because I must admit to myself that I already have the better bike (for me).

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

a buddy has a 15 xr and thinks it literally is the greatest thing since sliced bagels.  And he paid 7k for it as a recertified used bike.  Hes' never mentioned surging.  I hate him cuz it's also red.

• Thumbsup 3

45 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

a buddy has a 15 xr and thinks it literally is the greatest thing since sliced bagels.  And he paid 7k for it as a recertified used bike.  Hes' never mentioned surging.  I hate him cuz it's also red.

I got some reactions that this is not normal. Maybe life wanted to give me another lemon bike but I dodged it this time. I'm going to try and test ride another one.

Do you hate him because it's red or because it's red that's faster than fastest red? ;)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, petshark said:

I got some reactions that this is not normal. Maybe life wanted to give me another lemon bike but I dodged it this time. I'm going to try and test ride another one.

Do you hate him because it's red or because it's red that's faster than fastest red? ;)

Faster red but also becuz he got it SO cheap!  He always finds super deals but he's retired with big discretionary funds.

I'm semi retired with health issues and no savings left as a result, and a long road yet to hoe.  But hey, it always could be worse.

• Thumbsup 2

On 5/26/2022 at 5:17 AM, vancuy said:

Hi Mate,
Why did you drop the front forks by 14mm? Does lowering kit comes with instructions to lower?
my bike has been lowered with yamaha oem lowering kit. but forks are not lowered.

Thanks

I know it's a late reply, but yes, you should lower your forks the same amount as your lowering links to maintain the intended geometry of the bike.  Lowering just one end (front or rear) affects the intended steering feel which is usually a "neutral" feel from the factory.

Lowering the front end is easy.  Place on center stand, loosen triple clamps, push forks, measure and then tighten everything up.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Installed sprockets, chain and rebuilt/serviced Nitron shock. Took the swingarm off for access to the shock. Cleaned up and greased everything down there.

Had the parts for about a month. I was waiting for a nut and bolt for the shock. They were on a slow boat from Japan. In the mean time the Yamaha dealer closed up. Not sure what transpired, but we're redirected to another dealer here that sells BMW and Ducati.

Not sure when I'll see those parts. I reused the bolt I was worried about. It was good.

Was never happy with the Nitron. I sent it up to Norwest to get serviced and rebuilt. He rebuilt the OEM shock. Did a good job on that one. May take out tomorrow for an extended test ride.

Avoided a disaster. Applied back brake so I could loosen countershaft sprocket. Thought the brake wasn't holding. Check out sprocket and it's already loose. Don't think I did a good enough job tapping that metal piece so it doesn't move. 

Part of the delay was we had to move. We're building a home. Should be done in September. Landlords want to sell the house. So two moves in four months. Great

• Thumbsup 2

Went out for a group ride, that was interrupted by thunderstorms with warnings of golf ball sized hail.  Our ride consisted of dodging the thunderstorms and hiding out drinking coffee through the worst of it, then more dodging of thunderstorms heading home.  Some nice rainbows though - I'm right on the edge of one here, sun behind me and the storm alongside.  It's always irritated me that rainbows photograph so badly, anyone know what that's the case?  Always seem so much brighter in person.

Got to splash through some 1" deep flooding on the way back, which was honestly a huge bonus.  Riding through water never gets old :)

image.thumb.jpeg.63b65a29eec71ad702f4597a5a96fc21.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

It's always irritated me that rainbows photograph so badly, anyone know what that's the case? 

Something about having two eyes instead of one, I wasn't really paying attention or it was a dream. Could go either way.

• Thumbsup 1