What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

OK, so it's not much, but I'm new here and just got my bike two weeks ago, so thought I'd post. Today I found a good spot to install a USB port on my '22 T9GT...and with a free (accessory) connector from my local Yamaha dealer, I'm now good to go.

20220910_222648_1.jpg

20220910_222708_1.jpg

20220910_222835_1_1.jpg

Edited by Randango
Inserting pics
  • Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

I also changed my route through Idaho, Bailed on going to Ketchum, and am now riding up to Lolo, MT and over to Lewiston -> Richland, WA the day after, side stepping some of the bigger fires and biggest smoke... hopefully.... 

Lolo Pass is a fantastic ride. I have ridden it 4 or 5 times and am creating a route for next summer to ride it again. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 minutes ago, betoney said:

Lolo Pass is a fantastic ride. I have ridden it 4 or 5 times and am creating a route for next summer to ride it again. 👍🏻

So far, Lolo Pass is my favourite road in the US.  I'm sure there's better, but of what I've ridden, it's the best.  I just LOVE the scenery riding along the river valley, there's lots of high speed sweepers and tighter corners that really thrill at speed. 

image.jpeg.6e71ad4dc83f72ff1b6e0239a3672480.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

So far, Lolo Pass is my favourite road in the US.  I'm sure there's better, but of what I've ridden, it's the best.  I just LOVE the scenery riding along the river valley, there's lots of high speed sweepers and tighter corners that really thrill at speed. 

image.jpeg.6e71ad4dc83f72ff1b6e0239a3672480.jpeg

My comment to that sign is in Mr Burns voice "Excellent.." :)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/11/2022 at 12:32 PM, Kenny A. said:

Ditto. 👍

+1

My mother-in-law has been in the hospital, so I’ve started riding over to visit (weather permitting), rotating the bikes in the stable.  Today was FJ Day… this thing still makes me smile.  

3F5C7CDB-CF9B-4C08-A15D-157D2D15A64F.thumb.jpeg.0cc8ef05cdc86f036912dd778ec4ba82.jpeg

• Thumbsup 6

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, texscottyd said:

+1

My mother-in-law had been in the hospital, so I’ve started riding over to visit (weather permitting), rotating the bikes in the stable.  Today was FJ Day… this thing still makes me smile.  

3F5C7CDB-CF9B-4C08-A15D-157D2D15A64F.thumb.jpeg.0cc8ef05cdc86f036912dd778ec4ba82.jpeg

Hope she gets better soon. I'm starting to hate the visiting hospitals and funerals part of aging. 

And on topic: just went back to the tall Givi screen and handguards for fall and winter riding. It's still warm and very, very humid down South. But I'm looking forward to an 800-ish mile weekend with a buddy and it's much easier to hear the Sena behind the tall windscreen. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Hope she gets better soon. I'm starting to hate the visiting hospitals and funerals part of aging. 

And on topic: just went back to the tall Givi screen and handguards for fall and winter riding. It's still warm and very, very humid down South. But I'm looking forward to an 800-ish mile weekend with a buddy and it's much easier to hear the Sena behind the tall windscreen. 

Do you have the GV tour screen the barn door

Because when it's hot and humid I get faint behind it

By the way running a big screen like that it's recommended to reinforce the screen support brackets which has been covered extensively in prior threads otherwise cracks can develop

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Thanks, and I completely agree about hospitals and funerals... It's become too regular of an occurrence.  Fortunately, she's on the mend, and should be home soon. 

Finding the right screen on these bikes continues to be an elusive search.   I just can't deal with the coastal heat behind a big screen, but an 800 mile weekend would be testing my limits with the short Cal Sci screen I run on my FJ.   With earplugs, I'm good with the Sena up to about 75 mph...  above 80 and it's getting overpowered by the wind noise.  

Observation:   How is it possible that my new Speed Twin (with ZERO bodywork or windscreen, other than a big round headlight), is noticeably quieter and smoother than my FJ at 75 mph?   Has anybody ridden an unfaired FZ9 at highway speeds?   It's one of those aerodynamic mysteries that I still don't understand... 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

@2and3cylinders - yes, the barn door. Yes, it's hot when air temps over 90. I hate the wind noise without it, but I ride a shorty screen May - Sept. 

The upper faring bracket has a crazy spiral fracture, so I bent 1" flat metal strips to tie the windscreen mounts to the lower bracket.

@texscottyd - Fj09 no windscreen at all is just a little quieter. Don't know about FZ09. When I stand on the pegs and get as far as possible from the bike, I still get the high freq wind noise but I lose all the low freq booming. Aerodynamics on this bike are weird. I read a review of a BMW S-XR that said all adventure style street bikes have wind problems. 

Glad your MIL is doing better. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Observation:   How is it possible that my new Speed Twin (with ZERO bodywork or windscreen, other than a big round headlight), is noticeably quieter and smoother than my FJ at 75 mph?   Has anybody ridden an unfaired FZ9 at highway speeds?   It's one of those aerodynamic mysteries that I still don't understand... 

Not the FZ specifically but my brother owns a Honda 919 naked and we  go on week long road trips every year.  When we swap bikes he always mentions how loud the wind noise is on my bike even with a small fly screen, his always has smooth clean air.  

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I leave tomorrow on my ride and the last 2 days have been chaos of me designing and printing farkles for my bike :)

1. I made a little shelf thingy for the rear top case (Yamaha 50L) that has 2 lugs that go into some of the depressions in the bottom and keep my photo/laptop backpack upright and as far toward the front as possible.   I put some small velcro to keep it in place, but the weight of the pack keeps it there as well.   I've been wanting to do this after getting frustrated at my snacks and such getting mangled by the pack.  Also keeping the pack toward the front as much as possible helps with the weight on the bike. 

2. I also... and I am pretty happy about this... made a mount to hold my TPMS at eye level.   I took inspiration from that other GPS mount a guy sells.   (I've never bought one, but just have seen it around and appreciated how it mounted).   I took a bunch of measurements on the mechanism, and after 3 tries had a design that fit snug and now I have my own template to make other kinds of mounts on that screen adjuster.   For now it just has a big tab off to the side holding the TPMS on with velcro.   Its clean and is a big improvement since it was down low before on the bars. 

Total time to design both of these things was ~ 3 hours.     

20220912_202249214_iOS.jpg

20220912_201804687_iOS.jpg

20220912_152737764_iOS.jpg

20220912_152720041_iOS.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2