What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dpippin said:

I missed the screen adjuster mod
Can you tell me what's involved

thanks

Fix that stupid windscreen adjuster - Page 3 - FJ-09 Tracer 900 General Discussions - FJ09 Tracer 900 Forum
https://www.tracer900.net/topic/7668-fix-that-stupid-windscreen-adjuster/page/3/#comment-92286

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Replaced the KTM guards with Barkbusters Storm, bar-end single point mount. I like the simplicity of this mount, although the guard plastics aren't quite as sleek as the KTMs. I hope this works out. I recall @keithu had good things to say about these guards. My OBR ADV Enduro mitts fit well over them... 👍

20221021_192622.thumb.jpg.b2722c2d2a9544f830d9fdca12a90ac0.jpg

Found a leaky fork leg as I moved to the right side of the bike to install the hand guard. Lots of gunk and grit came out as I cleaned the oil seal. Left the dust cover off overnight and we shall see what happens. A perfect ride weather tomorrow. 😒

20221021_190107.thumb.jpg.5f16a162535c6a7e51cdffd63f25ac18.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

14 hours ago, pilgo said:

I have no idea why those 2 pictures have posted sideways 🤔

Mine go upside down.🙄  

I finally found "the cure"  Go into the photo edit on your phone, shrink the borders VERY SLIGHTLY, save, then they post here right side up.🤷‍♂️ IDK.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Here were the plugs from the 24k mile service, original and untouched from new.   Definitely have some use on them, and each has a dark and light side based on how they were oriented in the cylinder.    I’ll probably change them at 12k mile intervals going forward…

7AEDB1B3-8005-4228-BC53-F4748F505433.thumb.jpeg.769ea053afb68a3e23f1d36d024e4595.jpeg 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

They actually make and I have used special washers of various thicknesses thicknesses to orient the open side of the plug toward whichever side the swirl wash is coming from usually towards the intake valves.

They're made of copper and are used in conjunction with the OM crush washers.

A flow bench is used for racing engines to Index the plugs

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

They actually make and I have used special washers of various thicknesses thicknesses to orient the open side of the plug toward whichever side the swirl wash is coming from usually towards the intake valves.

I believe it is called “indexing” the plugs and yields very marginal HP gain.

the plugs above look well used but clean burning.

@texscottyd how hard were they to break loose?

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

When I first read in the Owner's Manual about the 8K interval on spark plugs, like many veteran riders. I basically scoffed at it. Plugs can surly go more than that. But I got suspicious, and started making inquires to some of my contacts in the Yamaha Technical Division that I have known for many years.

They told me to adhere to the 8K interval, and the reason is due to the high voltages in the Tracer's electronic ignition system. He said the old-school method of visually inspecting a spark plug to determine its actual condition is no longer valid in modern bikes; you have to take into account the plug's internal resistance that builds up with use. And the although the plug will obviously still fire past 8K, he said it makes the overall system work harder.

So one changes the plugs at 8K to avoid making life hard on the adjacent components in the ignition system. I am just repeating what the guys in the Tech Division told me - this does seem to make sense to me. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Yesterday I swapped the FJ with the VTR onto the lift.

As I had only ridden the VTR once before this season (which started very late this year in mid-July for me due to my multiple surgeries), I took it up to Adrian's Frozen Custard for my usual Black Cow & 2 (only fair but that's all they have) Johnsonville beef hot dogs.  Only about 80 miles round trip my route but some pleasant country roads with some big fast sweepers.  There I met a real nice Federal Marshall (mike) on his big 17 Road Glide.  Since we schmused too long, I caught some light precipitation messing my pristine VTR, which I immediately rectified once back in the Bret Cave; then swapped the FJ back to its fast getaway position.

Tuesday thru Thursday it's forecast to be sunny and back in the high 60s low 70s again (woo woo), so you'll know where I'll be.

One sad note.  My right hip has continued to worsen and has made riding the VTR a torture rack.  It's even also become an issue on the FJ.  I told SWMBO she needs to get me into my sports med doc for a big shot ASAP!  I want something that when the doc says I'll be able to dance afterward I can say great, cuz I don't know how to now!

20221030_184013[1].jpg

20221023_181032[1].jpg

20161117_112700[1].jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, Warchild said:

Garage Assistant Kitty examines Spiegler kit for completeness. SS Brake Lines are one of several winter projects planned while the snow piles up outside.

SpieglerCat.thumb.jpg.6882434195d80dd869657cb7e2c25907.jpg

After inspection did Kitty think that the Spiegler's were the Cat's whiskers?

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member

Noticed that my footage from the front (dash cam V-SYS P6FL) camera was now looking straight down at my front mudguard after a recent ride.

On inspection it must have taken a hit from something or just fatigued and broke off the tangs on the mounting plate that hold the camera.

After taking some measurements followed by some modelling in Fusion 360, out of the 3D printer comes it's stronger replacement. 😁

It's these kind of odd repairs where a 3D printer comes into its own I reckon.

1983342_BrokenMount.thumb.jpg.d0e2246d5c6fba4c8146cdf057ce9d76.jpg

image.thumb.png.53fe66bee239b42f529b215781d072bd.png

300293780_NewMount.thumb.jpg.6e1bfeb0144984b68b1ed17503571dde.jpg

131778997_NewMount1.thumb.jpg.c228cb4d2cea2cb43f713e20ec616e73.jpg

Happy to share the STL file if anyone ever has the need.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1