• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

It seems my hydraulic rear brake light switch is on the blink as well so that will probably be the next maintenance job.

Need it to work for not only activating the brake light (naturally!) but also for deactivating my McCruise cruise control.  Gave me some cause to butt clench for a moment when the cruise control kept on powering forward while I was under rear braking!

Ha... my hydraulic switch (Vortex) failed in the closed state 1/3 way through a long trip earlier this year. Naturally I chose to save my CC, so... snip. I lost the ability to defeat cruise and activate the brake light with my foot. No biggie... but needs to get fixed for sure. Whose switch (one that failed) did you use?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, piotrek said:

Ha... my hydraulic switch (Vortex) failed in the closed state 1/3 way through a long trip earlier this year. Naturally I chose to save my CC, so... snip. I lost the ability to defeat cruise and activate the brake light with my foot. No biggie... but needs to get fixed for sure. Whose switch (one that failed) did you use?

The switch brand that I installed a while ago was a no name one and therein may be the reason for the issue. 🤔

Since returning from that ride I haven't been able to get it to fault again when testing it while in the garage - of course!  First ride back out and it'll let me down I'll wager.  I've pumped the rear brake pedal a 'hundred' times while testing it and maybe that's been enough to free things up?

Anyway, I'll probably end up changing it out with something of quality when I do get around to it.  Any suggestions?

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

The switch brand that I installed a while ago was a no name one and therein may be the reason for the issue. 🤔... Anyway, I'll probably end up changing it out with something of quality when I do get around to it.  Any suggestions?

I was tempted to go the Amazon way, but bought Vortex... supposedly a decent brand. Got me a lemon I guess.

Spiegler is another, but Vortex was available locally. Haven't yet decided.

• Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

The switch brand that I installed a while ago was a no name one and therein may be the reason for the issue. 🤔

7 hours ago, piotrek said:

I was tempted to go the Amazon way, but bought Vortex... supposedly a decent brand. Got me a lemon I guess.

Spiegler is another, but Vortex was available locally. Haven't yet decided.

I have the Spiegler switch, its been installed on my bike for many years and am at 73k miles on the odometer now, it has been 100% fault free.

Before purchasing the switch, I looked at them all and liked the angle, construction and routing of the Spiegler best.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spiegler-brake-light-switch

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 11/16/2022 at 5:47 PM, betoney said:

I have the Spiegler switch, its been installed on my bike for many years and am at 73k miles on the odometer now, it has been 100% fault free.

Before purchasing the switch, I looked at them all and liked the angle, construction and routing of the Spiegler best.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spiegler-brake-light-switch

And at $20, it's not like you're spending a huge amount of money.  Why not go name brand there? 

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:57 AM, texscottyd said:

Note to self:  You ride exclusively for fun.  This does not look fun.  ☹️

FD1102BF-BBB2-42CA-86E3-746108591655.thumb.jpeg.adc9c5ee2e5b437eb8d36091e62b7e9b.jpeg

Even as a Wet Coast boy at heart, this is the weather I least like riding in.  I'd honestly rather ride in snow.  

I mean, I will, and it can be fun on a big adventurous trip, but for regular day trips?  Getting suited up is such a hassle, and you'll almost always get wet anyways.  It's just miserable, and it's made even worse for short trips because then you're all wet for whatever else you where going to do.  

• Thumbsup 3

Today I finally found a way to mount my GPS above the dash, in my line of sight. I've been looking for a way to do this for ages, but there really isn't a good crossbar option for the 2019 model. I finally found a 3D printed mount sold by printedparts on eBay, and a similar version of it sold by Ali Express. I ordered both by mistake so I now have a spare one.

If any other Tracer owners would like a GPS mount let me know as I have this extra one to sell. Suits the 2019/20 model.

Photos at https://photos.app.goo.gl/WaxPhMe4M5FARPNu9

Picked up my bike from the mechanic's workshop where the bike was getting it's 24,000 mile valve check service and new tires fitted. All the exhaust valves were tight and needed shimmed. Because the bike was registered as off road and I had stripped most of the bodywork off before sending it in, I decided just to push it the 1/3 of a mile home. Maybe not the best decision ever made, We talk about the Tracer being a light bike and at just over 200 kg (european) it certainly feels that way flicking round corners. Doesn't feel quite so light pushing up a slight incline. Half way home decided enough pushing and rode the rest of the way. 

Mileage at service was only 20,500 so i'm going to shout this next bit out

"DON'T LEAVE YOUR VALVE CHECK TOO LATE"

Serviced.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Why was it registered off road

The intake valves didn't need to be touched

Do you have the stock Cam chain tensioner

I presume you'll put the body work on after another test ride listening for things

Do you ride through the Winter

And have good wet gear I'm sure and electric liners

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Why was it registered off road

The intake valves didn't need to be touched

Do you have the stock Cam chain tensioner

I presume you'll put the body work on after another test ride listening for things

Do you ride through the Winter

I don't use the bike through winter too much salt spread on icy roads and no enjoyment. I usually SORN (statutory off road notification) for 4 months from the end of October and put it off the road and get the remaining road tax refunded.

The intake valves were all within tolerance but Andy the mechanic shimmed one of them to make it similar to the rest.

Started the engine at the workshop and it sounded really sweet. But next job now I have it back is to clean all the nooks and crannies and spray some ACF50 over the bike and get the bodywork back on

Tensioner is stock

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Spiegler lines, new EBC HH pads, fresh fluid, TBS, plugs, air filter, valves at the Yamaha dealer.  None of the independent shops around here would take the bike - they're all too busy.  The dealer took 2.5 of the 3 weeks they thought it would take after I scheduled the appointment a month ahead of time.

At 42,500 miles, 2nd valve check (first at just past 20,000 miles) - one tight intake valve, two tight exhaust valves.  One more intake and two more exhaust at the lower limit so the dealer moved them to the upper limit.

Brakes are a huge improvement.  Engine - I feel like I maybe have a little more oomph in the midrange.  Gas mileage is lower, but it's also lower on the car and the truck at the same time so maybe weather or gas.

I'll have a little more fun on Sunday after the rain passes through and the temps are back near 50.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1