What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

When I bought my Fj09 it came with this  huge Puig  touring screen.  Looked really odd, and it felt weird pushing the wind. Made the front end seem unstable. I like to ride fast. Put the stock screen on. Terrible. I'm 6'2"  and the screen made the buffeting on my helmet more than I could stand.  Even with it lowered to the lowest setting it was awful. I figured out that it needed to be lower by 2" at least.  I bought a smoke tinted Puig racing windscreen. Its was 15" high. Set at the lowest setting. My helmet has clean air to go through and the is a slight burble against my shoulders. Almost cant tell.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Brentinpdx said:

When I bought my Fj09 it came with this  huge Puig  touring screen.  Looked really odd, and it felt weird pushing the wind. Made the front end seem unstable. I like to ride fast. Put the stock screen on. Terrible. I'm 6'2"  and the screen made the buffeting on my helmet more than I could stand.  Even with it lowered to the lowest setting it was awful. I figured out that it needed to be lower by 2" at least.  I bought a smoke tinted Puig racing windscreen. Its was 15" high. Set at the lowest setting. My helmet has clean air to go through and the is a slight burble against my shoulders. Almost cant tell.

Agreed, I use a short sport flyscreen as well and the air is very clean and smooth.  Even in Winter, I prefer the smaller screen now.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, Brentinpdx said:

Hahaha yeah the stock windscreen is hot garbage.  Few years into my 2019 now and I'm a strong believer that a minimal windscreen is the way to go - I don't understand people's problem with wind, as long as it's consistent and not buffeting you can just lean against it and it doesn't tire you.  The stock windscreen though in any position seems specifically designed to maximize buffeting directly on the helmet.  I suppose giant might work for some strange people, but that'll never be the way for me to go.

I went with the Puig sport and never looked back.  Far, far better.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Mounted my rear Ohlins shock today. A bit of a PITA but it's done. Front NIX30 cartridges are next but not for a couple weeks or so. -17°F tonight, with 30 some inches of snow on the ground, so no hurry.  75°F+ working in the basement.

20230130_171819.jpg

20230130_134158.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 3

Interesting.  The stock black spring looks heavier duty than the Ohlins spring,

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Interesting.  The stock black spring looks heavier duty than the Ohlins spring,

And the overall eye-to-eye shock length looks shorter on the Ohlins as well.

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, Ride On said:

Mounted my rear Ohlins shock today. A bit of a PITA but it's done. Front NIX30 cartridges are next but not for a couple weeks or so. -17°F tonight, with 30 some inches of snow on the ground, so no hurry.  75°F+ working in the basement

Once the weather clears up a bit you're going to have fun testing and tweaking.  👍

It should be better in all conditions but should really shine as you wick it up a bit.  I find the harder I ride, the better the suspension feels, it just instills confidence to charge into (and then power out of) corners like its on rails at higher speeds.

52 minutes ago, betoney said:

Once the weather clears up a bit you're going to have fun testing and tweaking.  👍

It should be better in all conditions but should really shine as you wick it up a bit.  I find the harder I ride, the better the suspension feels, it just instills confidence to charge into (and then power out of) corners like its on rails at higher speeds.

It will be fun to feel the difference.  If it's better or not I'll report back here.  Hopefully it's better because the stock suspension is not this bike's strong suit.  It was okay, just not great. And beginning to feel harsh over sharp bumps.  Two-up riding should be better as well with the ability crank up the preload, compression and rebound damping.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Watch for my pole regarding projects...

I have been procrastinating starting mine though I did to winterizing oil changes, cylinder oiling, stabilizer and float bowl drains. My shop is heated but I'm preparing for San Diego..

Screenshot_20230130_234806_RadarX.jpg

The little used Cricut machine I bought is turning out to be a good purchase!

NgTzM9rAeHz-G8xthaZsThWmk4vQgtbwEvGr5paD

I like how this turned out. It was a little tricky figuring out how to do the dual color decal with everything staying parallel, but it worked out. I still need to do the other side. I am curious to see how much lifting I get on the edges of the blocks. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I must say, that turned out really well!   Great job aligning with that flat part of the upper frame spar...  it ties it all together very nicely.  

I'm impressed!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, draco_1967 said:

The little used Cricut machine I bought is turning out to be a good purchase!

I like how this turned out. It was a little tricky figuring out how to do the dual color decal with everything staying parallel, but it worked out. I still need to do the other side. I am curious to see how much lifting I get on the edges of the blocks. 

That turned out great.  The white tank and panels broken up by a little bit of red looks awesome.

Thanks, Y'all!

@dazzler24 I am finding the Cricut fairly easy to use with vinyl. I prefer a vector design program over their Design Space program, though you have to go through Design Space to send items to the cutter. 

Its not quite as useful as a 3d printer, but I'm sure I'll enjoy having it when I need custom decals. I bought it used at a significant discount, because I wasn't sure how much I'd actually use it. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1