What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
On 2/19/2023 at 3:10 AM, Clegg78 said:

Posted the cam tool wrench: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5862747 

Thanks for this.  Also have to say thanks for the details that you put in with the file.  So many contributors leave you wondering about many details of their projects at times but yours is 'complete'. 👍

2 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

I rode the bike for the first time since getting the valves shimmed and valve bodies synchronized, new plugs, and maybe placebo, but the bike feels feisty and smooth.   Happy no leaks found. 

Got home and put a new DID VX3 gold chain on the bike and new front sprocket.   My order of new front and rear locknuts for the sprockets looks like it tore open in transit... I ended up with one rear sprocket nut...   So going to see if any dealers are open tomorrow to get them, then I can finish and put the rear sprocket on.  Then the hardware part of the work on the bike. 

Then just need to change the oil and good to go for many miles.     

Your pride and joy won't know herself after all of this treatment!  I'm sure you'll agree that it's satisfying to complete those tasks yourself though and to know exactly what was done.  👍 

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You can really get away with keeping and using your existing nuts!

Unless they're old like mine...

The number of threads about incorrect torque specs, stripped studs, and other BS around the rear sprocket, I am just going to get the new nuts and do it right and try to avoid messing up the $300 rear hub.   And IMO anything dealing with the driveline on the bike can afford the new hardware they deserve.   Also not in a huge rush... it's going to snow and be cold tomorrow and days after. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, Sandeep said:

Working on installing Denali D4’s; Radiator guard, Fuse block, Continental TKC70 Rock tires for the upcoming trip to Trans- Taiga

Looking forward to reading about your Trans Taiga adventure. 👍

I am interested to know how you're planning your fuel stops, and how much extra capacity you'll carry.

Edited by piotrek
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

19 hours ago, Sandeep said:

That’s my 2020 Tracer, bought new in 2021 March. Working on installing Denali D4’s; Radiator guard, Fuse block, Continental TKC70 Rock tires for the upcoming trip to Trans- Taiga in Quebec, Canada.  Will share pictures soon.. 

3C26869F-4E85-490B-AB11-D73B9E00A071.jpeg

you doing anything for the suspension on the dirt/gravel roads?  Not familiar with what you can all do with the ES style suspension on the 21+  I know on the 20 and such you can just swap the shocks for better ones with more consistent valving and such.   OEM suspension is known to get pretty weak/beat up on high frequency gravel and dirt roads. 

5 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

you doing anything for the suspension on the dirt/gravel roads?  Not familiar with what you can all do with the ES style suspension on the 21+  I know on the 20 and such you can just swap the shocks for better ones with more consistent valving and such.   OEM suspension is known to get pretty weak/beat up on high frequency gravel and dirt roads. 

At the moment don’t have any plans to upgrade suspension. Just planning to cover it with a sox and adjust the rebound. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

State inspection and tag renewal… boring stuff, but you can always take the long way home!  😀

The inspector actually did me a solid, and passed me after quietly pointing out ‘off the record’ that my license plate light is out…  sometimes it’s just your lucky day. 

26278D04-5656-42B8-86F0-469DE101461D.thumb.jpeg.afbe15403ca7c350ae042a2b8eb055d9.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

State inspection and tag renewal… boring stuff, but you can always take the long way home!  😀

The inspector actually did me a solid, and passed me after quietly pointing out ‘off the record’ that my license plate light is out…  sometimes it’s just your lucky day. 

26278D04-5656-42B8-86F0-469DE101461D.thumb.jpeg.afbe15403ca7c350ae042a2b8eb055d9.jpeg

On a related subject coincidentally, I had to get  a new rego plate yesterday as the old one had developed too many stress fractures and was falling apart (I'd lost and recovered it once already).

Anyway, this time I've taken measures to hopefully ensure this one stays attached.  I simply cut a template from some 2mm aluminium offcut and have attached it to the back of the rego plate to give it much more rigidity.

There are commercially available frames to buy but this fix cost nought.

As you say, boring stuff but it might give someone a small tip as losing your number plate from your motorbike - at least over here in Oz - happens more often than it needs to and it costs every time it has to be replaced - not to mention the inconvenience.

20230225_094912.thumb.jpg.a235c49aba23465da1d1303e23631375.jpg20230225_094940.thumb.jpg.a037c685c66d009911661cd4073fe475.jpg

Plate.thumb.jpg.2e48e668975f74e17fda4dc9df72074b.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

In San Diego!

Renting a 16 FJ for 5 days on the 1st.

Hope weather impro!ves!

Will Report back then

20230224_155937.jpg

20230224_155951.jpg

20230224_170603.jpg

20230224_153222.jpg

20230224_151030.jpg

20230224_054439.jpg

Great stuff 2and3!  You've been threatening to visit your daughter and looks like you've made good with the threat. 🙂

And I assume some better weather compared to where you've just come from?

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

In San Diego!

Renting a 16 FJ for 5 days on the 1st.

Hope weather improves!

Ive been watching the weather, parts of S.D. county got snow... 😲 and there is a winter storm warning at higher elevations near Julian.  Hopefully it clears up by the 1st and you can enjoy the riding.

Snow in the San Diego Mountains

Friday morning, the NWS measured the following snowfall totals:

• Mount Laguna: 22 inches
  • Palomar Mountain: 15 inches
  • Julian: 10 inches
  • Warner Springs: 3 to 4 inches

FWIW, I recently flew to Mesa, Arizona for a week and wanted to drive up to the mountains (Prescott/Jerome/Sedona/Flagstaff area) for sight-seeing and to scout a future road trip on my bike.  The day we arrived and the day we left had nice weather, the rest of the time was rain, hail, dark grey skies and COLD wind, Flagstaff got about a foot of snow and highways in the area were closed due to icy conditions.  Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***