Test Rode One and Was Impressed Enough To Buy

First eyed an FJ-09 at a motorcycle show in February and was taken with the design and ergonomics but that was far as it got. Then today I saw the Yamaha demo truck at the local dealer so I stopped in and signed up to ride a FJ-09. While waiting for the ride to start I noticed the bike felt as narrow and light as I remembered from the show but once under way is when I was impressed. After we returned from the 20 minute ride which consisted of low speed corners, cruising down the road 50 mph, and an 80 mph jaunt down the interstate my impression was the bike had plenty of torque and power, nice brakes, and light handling..... it just felt right. When I told this to the salesman he said "I'll work up a price for you", and his $9,600 price plus 5% state tax seemed fair. Then he said "we have a used FJ-09 which we sold new, it only has 400 miles if you would you be interested in that I could save you some money?" Well long story short it came home with me.

Anyway this looks like a nice forum, I've been reading through it seeking FJ-09 knowledge and thought I should at least say hello.

• Premium Member
First eyed an FJ-09 at a motorcycle show in February and was taken with the design and ergonomics but that was far as it got. Then today I saw the Yamaha demo truck at the local dealer so I stopped in and signed up to ride a FJ-09. While waiting for the ride to start I noticed the bike felt as narrow and light as I remembered from the show but once under way is when I was impressed. After we returned from the 20 minute ride which consisted of low speed corners, cruising down the road 50 mph, and an 80 mph jaunt down the interstate my impression was the bike had plenty of torque and power, nice brakes, and light handling..... it just felt right. When I told this to the salesman he said "I'll work up a price for you", and his $9,600 price plus 5% state tax seemed fair. Then he said "we have a used FJ-09 which we sold new, it only has 400 miles if you would you be interested in that I could save you some money?" Well long story short it came home with me.  

Anyway this looks like a nice forum, I've been reading through it seeking FJ-09 knowledge and thought I should at least say hello.
Great story, welcome aboard. clap_zpsdyza0r53.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Yeah you're right root I probably should not stop by when a demo truck is there! LOL they asked what I wanted to ride next and I said "nothing". kingfisher I had read posts here where it was mentioned the engine/transmission "settles in" after some miles. In all honesty it seems pretty smooth running and shifting now, even better would be awesome though. For now I'm going to check various fasteners to make sure they aren't loosening, go put some miles on it, then it'll be about ready for its 600-800 mile oil change.
Anyone have Yamaha's soft saddlebag brackets? They're made to hold bags away from the wheel and supposedly are quick release so they can be removed. I already have a set of universal soft bags.

• Premium Member
Congrats, Milo! I had a very similar experience, tested out the FZ-09 then the FJ-09 at the Yamaha Demo Day and was sold immediately. I think you'll really love it even more as you get to put the miles on. Very little to complain about on this bike, great ergos, comfortable enough for longer rides & touring, mountains of power (Don't you LOVE this triple?!?) and superb brakes. It's a truly amazing package, now you see why all the bike magazines are raving! :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Anyone have Yamaha's soft saddlebag brackets? They're made to hold bags away from the wheel and supposedly are quick release so they can be removed. I already have a set of universal soft bags.
A few of us have made our own (actually, I had a metal shop cut mine, but drilled the holes myself.) they're documented on this site. Mine are easy to install/remove: the 2 Allen bolts that hold on the plastic hard bag mounts beside the passenger seat.

http://fj-09.org/post/15505

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

The engine does get smoother with mileage, but the most remarkable thing to me is the power output. Mine was stronger at 2,000 miles than at 1,000, which didn't surprise me much; Yamahas seem to be tightly built from the factory and take a while to break in. The surprise to me is how much stronger it is now at 4,300 miles. If you put it in A mode especially, this thing rips. It feels like a lot more than 850 cc's. Traction control is very helpful, in keeping the front end down.

The engine does get smoother with mileage, but the most remarkable thing to me is the power output. Mine was stronger at 2,000 miles than at 1,000, which didn't surprise me much; Yamahas seem to be tightly built from the factory and take a while to break in. The surprise to me is how much stronger it is now at 4,300 miles. If you put it in A mode especially, this thing rips. It feels like a lot more than 850 cc's. Traction control is very helpful, in keeping the front end down. 

Wow, great to hear. I'm at 550 miles now, after today I'll be around 700-800 so I'll change oil tonight or tomorrow.  

A few of us have made our own (actually, I had a metal shop cut mine, but drilled the holes myself.) they're documented on this site. Mine are easy to install/remove: the 2 Allen bolts that hold on the plastic hard bag mounts beside the passenger seat.

http://fj-09.org/post/15505

Thanks I may fabricate something from tubing or flat stock like in the link.

Archived