Bike tipped over yesterday

In my 9 years of street riding, I have never once dropped a bike. Well, yesterday, when stopping for ice-cream with my girlfriend out on a beautiful day trip, it happened..

The lot was gravel and sand. I moved it around when park on the side stand to make sure it was in a stable spot. I even tested it a few times and the kick stand was stable. We ate our ice cream and I got up towards the bike to start suiting up again. I stepped up and suddenly the bike very slowly started tipping. I could not save it!!! Down she went. I was just gutted.

Not much damage. Gravel scrapes on the left hand guard. Little scrapes down on the engine. Front indicator light scraped and the handlebars are slightly out of wack. 

Battle scars perhaps? 

Oh, and after getting home, I realized I rode over a plastic party balloon which stuck to my exhaust headers and is now burnt on. No idea how to remove that mess. Any advice would help.

It was a tough day for my bike yesterday. It went from pristine to used in 1 ride. Not happy...  :(

• Premium Member
In my 9 years of street riding, I have never once dropped a bike. Well, yesterday, when stopping for ice-cream with my girlfriend out on a beautiful day trip, it happened.. 
The lot was gravel and sand. I moved it around when park on the side stand to make sure it was in a stable spot. I even tested it a few times and the kick stand was stable. We ate our ice cream and I got up towards the bike to start suiting up again. I stepped up and suddenly the bike very slowly started tipping. I could not save it!!! Down she went. I was just gutted.

Not much damage. Gravel scrapes on the left hand guard. Little scrapes down on the engine. Front indicator light scraped and the handlebars are slightly out of wack. 

Battle scars perhaps? 

Oh, and after getting home, I realized I rode over a plastic party balloon which stuck to my exhaust headers and is now burnt on. No idea how to remove that mess. Any advice would help.

It was a tough day for my bike yesterday. It went from pristine to used in 1 ride. Not happy...  :(
try a heat gun and steel wool.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Certainly disheartening. You lasted much longer than most people do for their first drop. Mine happened in my first year of riding with my 1970 CB450. I pulled into a parking spot. Went to put my foot down and it wouldn't go down. My pants were caught on the choke lever. The bike slowly tipped over to my horror. It bent my choke lever and put some scratches on the engine guard, grip and clutch lever. Once the bike, and myself were down, I had to unhook my pants from the choke lever to get up myself. The worst damage I think was to my pride so I feel for you. They have a saying, "There's only two types of riders. Those that have dropped their bikes and those that will."

Sorry, I don't have much of a suggestion to get the balloon off, but I did want to extend my condolences for your bad day.

Dang Root, I thought I was the only one to pull that stunt;-) 
  Pants leg caught on the shift lever of my old ZX-9 somehow and down I go like a felled tree. Amazing how time slows down!  Even worse is being pinned under your bike and waiting for your laugh-so-hard-they're-crying-'friends' to help.
  Now you can ride it like you stole it 8-)

Brian

I went 12 years before my first tip over. During a routing 'discussion' astride our bikes in a parking lot, I started to get off without putting the side stand down. Ended up gently lowering the bike to its side, zero damage.
Second tip over was less than 24 hours later, on the same trip! Park bike on campground grass, turn around and walk away, THUMP! Bike was in gear, side stand not all the way forward. Again no damage.
That was in 1997, no tip overs since. 2 crashes from deer attacks though...

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived