Fuel gauge way off?

I'm in Canada, so first off, excuse the metric. Actually, wait, metric makes perfect sense! You guys change! ;) 

Okay, so the bike has an 18 liter fuel tank. My computer says I'm averaging 5.6L/100KM, which means a range estimate of 320KM. I've gone 230KM so far, and I'm on the last bar of the fuel gauge. Something tells me the last bar, plus reserve (2.6L) shouldn't equal 1/3rd of the range, so is the fuel gauge just wildly inaccurate? Im in the break-in period, so I don't even think the ECO light has gone off. Surely I should be getting pretty super range right now. When I get the revs up after break-in, is the fuel economy going to suck? Yeah, I know if you ride like a bat out of hell, you're going to pay for it at the pump, but within reason...

This is my first tank of gas, so maybe it learns over time. Maybe there's some breakin that causes excessive fuel burn (which means the average L/100KM is way off). Maybe I shoudln't even post this until I've filled up enough times to have a decent sample size. I'm coming from a bike with a really accurate fuel gauge that had 10 segments on the display, so you really knew how much was left. This bike seems to burn through half a tank before the first segment goes on the display, and I think one of the segments went after about 20KM. 

Now I know I can just do the math in my head to figure out how much is left, but when you're focusing on not crashing a motorcycle, should you really be doing math? ;)

Whats everyone else's fuel guage doing? 

Guest eatpasta
I'm in Canada, so first off, excuse the metric. Actually, wait, metric makes perfect sense! You guys change! ;)  

:D 
that made me laugh - classic, hoser.....

I would chalk it up to most bikes' fuel gauges arent very accurate and/or new bike.   Ive never had an accurate fuel gauge on a bike till the FJR and learned many years to ago to be able to calculate my range via the odometer to dammed near to the mile as Im sure most of us do.
     On a bike there are too many variables - having to depend on a fuel gauge is against our nature

O_o

@eatpasta I figured I could chalk it up to an inaccurate fuel guage. Before going through one tank of gas, I'm definitely jumping the gun on worrying about it. I can compensate for the guage being off, as long as I'm getting the mileage I should. If I hit 300km (186 miles) that sounds pretty average from what I hear.

Now, back to eating poutine and watching hockey (actually what I'm doing).

FigJam-0hnine not sure of FJ-09 fuel gauge accuracy but I remember reading several FJ-09 reviews with comments about inaccurate indications. For what it's worth my Duc MTS looks like its getting 80 mpg on full tank then drops to about 20mpg when level drops below half a tank had sensor replaced twice under warranty with same result. Had same issue with a VStorm also. Riding buddy with GSA BMW has same complaint after replacement of sensor so problem does exist in other bikes flow no matter the msrp delta.

Guest eatpasta
@eatpasta I figured I could chalk it up to an inaccurate fuel guage. Before going through one tank of gas, I'm definitely jumping the gun on worrying about it. I can compensate for the guage being off, as long as I'm getting the mileage I should. If I hit 300km (186 miles) that sounds pretty average from what I hear.  
Now, back to eating poutine and watching hockey (actually what I'm doing).
I can remember from doing the 36K service on my 1150 that in order to change the fuel filter you had to remove the tank and there was this huge apparatus and circuit board (!!!) submerged inside the gas tank that included this weird metal deal-thingie that is the fuel gauge. 
Fuel-plate-with-filter-2.jpg

After I finished and put everything back together I can remember the fuel gauge was wonky for awhile but it evened it but was never correct at all - more like an average. 

Im sure that's all that this is - I would assume creating a fuel gauge for a container that's constantly being leaned over would be tricky

Guest eatpasta
@eatpasta right... the well known metal deal-thingy issue. I once read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It didn't mention the metal deal-thingy, but it also didn't really talk much about actual motorcycle maintenance.
It didn't mention the metal deal-thingie??  What the hell kind of second rate publication.... 
    I started that book a few years ago and kept pecking away at it until my son was born last year.... I may never finish it.....and no there wasn't too much in there about working on bikes

Looking back on that picture, its a wonder that the fuel gauge ever worked at all.  Gassing up the GS, rarely would the fuel gauge ever make it up to full bars and man all the owners would endlessly belly ache about it - Beemer owners....

(puke)

Archived