Yamaha -09 Series Beats New Multistrada 1200S in 1/4 Mile!

Sure, you don't have to tell me there is a lot more to what makes a motorcycle than quarter mile speed, but it did bring a smile to my face to see that the $8,190 Yamaha FZ-09 (11.29 sec @ 123.71 mph) pulls a faster quarter mile than the $21,094 (as tested) new Ducati Multistrada 1200S (11.48 sec @ 123.0)!  Also better in 60-80 top gear roll on at 3.22 seconds for the FZ-09 vs. 4.2 seconds for the Duck.  Anyway, I know we don't have "Skyhook suspension" or WTF it is called...but in the bang for the buck category Yamaha winds hands down!   Stats courtesy of the new Motorcyclist and Sport Rider magazines. 

Wow.
Not that I don't believe but I own a 2013 Multitrada and a FJ 09. The Duc is just s faster bike all the way around, especially at the higher mph.
The FJ 09 is a much better value for your money but the Multistrada is just a faster better bike all the way around.
Can you post a link?

Can't post a link because the times are from two different magazines...the latest Sport Rider and the latest Motorcyclist and neither has their newest issue online yet. But your 2013 may well be faster than the 2016 1200 Multi because of the latter's weight gain. But the times are both as tested by these magazines.   Also the Yamaha was an FZ-09 not an FJ, which may be slower due to its weight gain over the FZ.

The FJ is a tiny bit slower than the FZ 0-60 due to weight and possibly aerodynamic disadvantages due to the upright seating position. Quite a bit slower in the 1/4 in the stock trim due to the 115 mph speed limiter. If I remember right it hits the limiter about 3/4 of the way through the run. If I remember right from others posting 1/4 mile times, even with the ECU flash it's right around 12 sec maybe just under for the 1/4 mile on the FJ. I think a Duc Multi could take an FJ just from an academic exercise. Anecdotal evidence from @rogerc supports that theory. Not surprising from a 1200cc engine vs an 850cc.

I didn't buy the FJ because it was faster than everything else. I bought it because it was more than fast enough and it fit my needs well at the right price.

On July 13 Cycle World tested the FJ-09 (In a comparison test with the new Versys 1000) and the FJ-09 ran 11.16 sec. @ 112.10 mph in the quarter mile. Here's the link: http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/07/13/kawasaki-versys-1000-lt-vs-yamaha-fj-09-sport-tourer-motorcycle-comparison-test-review-photos-specifications/

Interesting. Seems weird the FZ took more time at a higher top speed. I think you need the same rider to get comparable numbers.

I had a 2010 multi with the full termi kit and it was a beast and subjectively felt faster than the fj, not that the fj is slow. In addition, I once had it up to 152 on the gps in a 20 mph crosswind and it was rock stable and still pulling like a mule. I love the fj 09 (and will love it more once I upgrade the inferior and dangerous suspension) but the multi was a truly spectacular motorcycle.

The multi has a power to weight ratio of about 3.5lbs:1hp. The FJ is closer to 4:1. With 150 hp vs 115 hp, the multistrada will pull harder at high speed too. Just not sure how an FJ could beat a Multi with the same rider. Now, you put me (both heavy and unskilled) on the multi and Rossi on the flashed FJ and the FJ will win every time I suspect.

Interesting because the FJ-09 hit the top speed limiter during the run. Might have been in the 10s if allowed to continue to accelerate.
I very easily could have had my numbers wrong from the 1/4 mile runs posted earlier. Once I get off my phone and on a computer I'll look them up.

• Premium Member
Ducati has acknowledged that the 2015 Multi was somehow not tuned properly for American-market fuel. This is mentioned in Motorcyclist magazine, in the Multi vs. S1000XR comparo.

Once this is fixed, the Ducati will be faster.

This does not make the performance of the FJ any less impressive.

And in fact it underscores one of the advantages of Japanese bikes over Italian ones--fewer surprises. And the Japanese may be more focused on the U.S. market than Ducati is.

For me, I'm happy to have a cheaper, lighter, simpler bike, that will likely run for longer with nothing but routine maintenance.

And the FJ is right for me, where I'm at. I don't want a $20k+ (US), open-class bike. I live in a city where stuff gets stolen and broken. And I still have a LOT to learn about riding. Having too much electronics would probably get in the way of my learning (although possibly it would save my ass...).

I sometimes think about what if I'd bought a 2014 Multi (I saw one on sale for $15k when I got my FJ!). But I think he FJ will ultimately serve me better and make me a better rider, even if it is not sexy in the same way.

I rode with a passenger on the FJ for the first time the other day. I hardly knew she was there! So much seat space, such good balance.

This does not make the performance of the FJ any less impressive.
[
Agreed. I'm not trying to discount the FJ, I'm just trying to be reasonable. I love my FJ. It's crazy fast. I'm just not under the false impression that it's the fastest bike out there.

I have a 13 Multistrada that I love and still bought an FJ.
The FJ is great and really fun to ride, but so is the Multistrada.
If I could only keep one bike it would be the Multistrada.
If I had to go with just cost the FJ wins everytime.
Both great bikes one is just really expensive.
RC

• Premium Member
@rogerc: Curious to hear how you would compare the Multi and the FJ around town in particular. My guess is that the FJ is easier to deal with around town? Smoother low-RPM behavior, and a bit smaller and lighter in general. Is this the case?

Archived