Broken plastic piece under the seat

Hi everyone, as it turns Out there is an issue with the plastic bit that is right under the seat, when in the low setting the seat pressures the plastic right on the bolt, that particular piece has very little flexibility and it breaks.

I have seen it in 4 more tracers, but our local yamaha won't do anything until there is word from yamaha headquarters.

It only happens on the lowest setting no matter how much you weight, I'm 5'8 and 138 pounds, the right one is already broken but the left is OK, in other cases both are broken.

The questions are.

Any of you have that problem?
How to get in contact with yamaha to find a solution?

Thanks I hope not many have it, it's very hard to see you have to be looking for it.

DSC_0044_2_zpszf0ip0au.jpgDSC_0042_3_zpsj8pctn1e.jpgDSC_0043_3_zpsz0jxolq4.jpg
DSC_0045_3_zpsqq8giqye.jpg

• Premium Member
Yikes. As far as I know I don't have this problem. I was considering raising the seat to increase seat-to-peg distance but now I'm convinced.
I've checked mine and it's not a problem in the lower position. I believe this issue may result from those who have installed the plastic risers underneath incorrectly(even once) and sat on the seat. Installed correctly, there should be no pressure on those plastic side pieces.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I checked mine after seeing the first thread and it is also broken.  I haven't touched the plastic risers at all.  I've thought about the corbin seat, and thought about bringing it up if I get that.  I know if its replaced, it will just break again.  

I just checked mine and it's fine.  3100+ miles, and I weigh about 205.  My seat has always been in the high position. 

You shouldn't have any issue, it seems it only happens in the low position, no matter weight, height or religious beliefs...

• Premium Member
I just looked at mine - no sign of breakage after 6000 miles, first 3000 the seat was in the low position. Now riding in high position.

Are the screws in the picture the suspects? There is some free play on mine as there is a rubber washer between the panel and frame. If the factory missed out some rubber washers on a few bikes the plastic panel would have been torqued down onto the frame without the rubber's cushioning. 2 effects, the lack of cushioning plus the panel would have been bent a few mm due to the lack of the washer's depth.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I just looked at mine - no sign of breakage after 6000 miles, first 3000 the seat was in the low position. Now riding in high position. 
Are the screws in the picture the suspects? There is some free play on mine as there is a rubber washer between the panel and frame. If the factory missed out some rubber washers on a few bikes the plastic panel would have been torqued down onto the frame without the rubber's cushioning. 2 effects, the lack of cushioning plus the panel would have been bent a few mm due to the lack of the washer's depth.

I'll check it out when I get home that could be a reason for some of the panels breaking. The rep from yamaha called me and told me that not only they will change the panels but redesign the seat, so it might be more than just the rubbers.

Yep just checked mine and it's starting to crack... bummer since I've been keeping the bike showroom clean. The seat deflects some on the low setting and I'm guessing the outside lip on the pan catches the plastic slighty. I could hear a slight plastic pop sound when it was on the low setting when getting on in the morning but never thought much of it. I guess the seat will stay in the high position until it gets resolved.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, I'm glad to have stumbled upon this thread. I checked my FJ and both panels are starting to crack - not yet fully detached. I remember the seat not feeling so solid a month or two after owning the bike, so they must have gradually failed. In the meantime, I moved the seat up to the high position and will try to figure out if the dealership can replace these for free.

• 1 year later...
I took a round file and clearanced the the existing ones, I will ask the dealer but I have doubts anything will become of it, so I like the epoxy fix idea, small cracks and not noticeable unless you are looking for them.

Edit
Just got the handlebar recall done, man I still love this bike!

Archived