Puig Touring screen

nihilist

TL,DR:

IMHO the Puig Touring windscreen is the end-all-be-all of touring screens for this bike.  Total noise elimination and zero buffeting put it beyond my expectations.  The down side is that the reduction in air flow is so complete that it is not ideal for riding in very hot conditions.

Now for the full review:

I received my Puig Touring windscreen from bs-motoparts.  The order took 7 business days (ordered late Friday, August 21 and received Tuesday, September 1), and everything was as expected.

The box was mildly crushed but there was no damage to the contents. 

Inside

7okoolF.jpg

The shield mounts via its own bracket

cCbJLf6.jpg

I had to remove the plastic fairing piece that the stock windshield mounts directly to (sorry this pic is kind of over exposed)
JdyHJbk.jpg

Mounted
m7ixOgB.jpg

dey9jNh.jpg

HiEgiYb.jpg

VJZDjSG.jpg

Those pictures are in the high position.  I put it to the lowest position and went riding.  

Xvr13g8.jpg

I used the test ride to go get a replacement 3mm hex key, because mine wandered off.  I went to get this because I needed to take the hand guard fairings off - they hit the windshield which severely limits driveway manoeuvres, and I am not a fan of worrying about such things.

I got home and, as I was about to remove the hand guard fairings, I realized one of the bolts had come out.  This would only happen to ME!  I guess when I bumped the piece against the windshield as I found its limits while backing out of the driveway, it loosened the bolt which vibrated until it fell out during the ride.  I somehow didn't have a replacement among my myriad random bolts....back to the hardware store I went, with the guards removed for the time being.

I came back, hex bolts in hand, and fixed up the hand guards.  I got some black bolt caps to lose the ugly silver screw look.
kYwXTzV.jpg

bozTWOA.jpg

And we're done.

Now for my thoughts on the windshield...

First, some details: I am 5'9" tall with a 32" inseam.  The seat is set to the high position, and the windshield wound up in the high position.  I can see over the shield up to approximately 12-15 feet in front of the bike.  I didn't measure the vertical heights of everything.

In short, the windshield is almost TOO effective.  With the visor open on my helmet, there is zero wind noise - it's almost eerie.  With the visor closed, there is a very small amount of noise but barely noticeable let alone problematic.  The reason I say it's almost too effective is that I now get absolutely no airflow on my body, and that makes it freaking HOT since it was 31 celsius and a billion percent humidity during the ride.  This is not a summer shield.  I was a huge fan of riding with my visor open at night and not getting bugs on my riding glasses.  I have a tinted/mirrored visor so this is really great.

I tested the shield up to 140km/h and had no issues at any point.  Even at 140km/h I was able to leave the visor open without any issues.

The verdict:
- Buffeting elimination 10/10
- Noise reduction 10/10
- Aesthetics 9/10, as far as touring shields go
- Build Quality 8.5/10, feels good, much thicker than stock, but the lip visibly flaps in the wind a bit (though not at all concerningly and still significantly less than the stock shield)

Between this and my heated grips and hand deflectors, cold/winter riding will be fantastic!  I'll be much more keen to commute on the bike during the shoulder seasons when it's ice cold in the mornings but nice during the day.

Further thoughts:  Anyone taller than me would find it noisier than I did - if I raise myself an inch I start to get noise.  However, I had the seat in the high position so there's maybe 2" of room above my head before the noise starts.  Someone taller than 6" would need the additional clip on to totally eliminate noise.  These number assume inseam-to-height ratio is the same as mine, of course.

I'm happy to answer any questions!
  • Like 1
//QED

We are seemingly on the last heat wave of the season, so I'll definitely appreciate it for the chilly fall mornings that are quickly incoming. I'll buy a shorty summer shield next year.

The only thing is I wish it was a quick release screen to make switching easier. As it is, I have to remove the screen, remove the mount, reattach the plastic stock mount, then attach whatever other screen to the stock mounting points. Not the end of the world, but it means I won't be switching back and forth except between seasons.
//QED

• Premium Member
The only thing is I wish it was a quick release screen to make switching easier. As it is, I have to remove the screen, remove the mount, reattach the plastic stock mount, then attach whatever other screen to the stock mounting points. Not the end of the world, but it means I won't be switching back and forth except between seasons.
Sounds about the amount of time it takes to enjoy a good beer - so the change is quality time in the man cave. ;>) Cheers

• Like 1
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I like the way you think!

II just couldn't take off the handsavers plastic that hits the windshield, I just can't handle how ugly they look, I did in all fairness order the Puig handsavers to stop any issues with the oem handsavers.

I like the way you think!
II just couldn't take off the handsavers plastic that hits the windshield, I just can't handle how ugly they look, I did in all fairness order the Puig handsavers to stop any issues with the oem handsavers.
I talked to Puig USA and they said the hand protectors are still in development, and they'll be available Nov/Dec.  I'll definitely be buying a set when they are available.  I think it does lose something with the superficial deflectors removed, but I honestly don't notice a huge difference, at least with those nasty silver screws blacked out.
//QED

I talked to Puig USA and they said the hand protectors are still in development, and they'll be available Nov/Dec.  I'll definitely be buying a set when they are available.  I think it does lose something with the superficial deflectors removed, but I honestly don't notice a huge difference, at least with those nasty silver screws blacked out.

Blacking out the screws seems a pretty good idea I'll give it a try, until I can get the handsavers from Puig. The vendor from where I got the windshield told me that he had already ordered the handsavers, but your information comes directly from Puig, so I'm thinking he's not being really straight forward... :(

• Premium Member
Did you ever consider these? http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-original-factory-handguards  Doctore777 has pic of them installed on his bike. I have them on mine, and they look great  and perform  as they should. They are better than what I had on my V Strom, and I rode it all winter even into the teens with just winter gloves on and never got cold. 40 mile round trip commute.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
How did you modify the hand guards to clear the windshield? Sorry if it was already mentioned and I missed it.

I removed the inside flat portion of the handguard with a bench grinder... It is surprisingly very nice plastic... It didn't chip or break or wreck the paint... After i was able to sand it with some 320 paper to clean the edge.... It smoothed out very easy and it's hard to tell that they have been modified. I hate the look of the bike without the guards so I did what I had to to fit the piug. I can go lock to lock with the bars and not touch the screen with the guards now.