Puig Touring screen

nihilist

• Premium Member
I recently purchased a gently used 2015.  A Puig touring screen was included but not installed. The previous owner told me the handguards hit. He used it once. I removed the outer part of the guard and installed. I didn't receive any literature. Was the fitment issue mentioned?  
 At 5'8" I can look over the shield if I maintain proper posture. Looking forward to quiet and temps above 20.
Contact Puig in Orlando Florida.  They should be able to mail you some displacers which will solve the fitment issue. 
Others on this forum and I have had the same issue.

I've had my touring windscreen for about a week now and I really wanted to like it but the buffeting is more than my oem with the Puig deflector. I'm 6'0 and tried all positions including seat positions. Pretty quiet in mid position with the seat in high but just can't get rid of the buffeting. Not bad looking either for a tall windscreen. I think I'm going to just have to go back to the oem with Puig deflector.

Maybe it's me because I'm sure I'm not the only 6'0 person with the windscreen. Has anyone tried the Puig deflector with the oem screen? Curious to know your thoughts about the two. The combination smooths out the air eliminating the buffeting.

I've had my touring windscreen for about a week now and I really wanted to like it but the buffeting is more than my oem with the Puig deflector. I'm 6'0 and tried all positions including seat positions. Pretty quiet in mid position with the seat in high but just can't get rid of the buffeting. Not bad looking either for a tall windscreen. I think I'm going to just have to go back to the oem with Puig deflector.  
Maybe it's me because I'm sure I'm not the only 6'0 person with the windscreen. Has anyone tried the Puig deflector with the oem screen? Curious to know your thoughts about the two. The combination smooths out the air eliminating the buffeting.

I use the Puig Touring Screen with the Puig Deflector. I'm 5'11" (Over 6'0 with my boots on). I keep it in the middle position. No buffeting, very quiet. I am able to ride with my visor open pretty much all of the time, even on the highway at 80+ MPH (although I dont recommend doing that regularly).

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 months later...
Just received my Puig Touring screen, installed it in less than 1/2 hour. I'm 5'10", seat in low position, shield all the way up. Wind noise is effectively gone, no buffeting and I can now hear the motor and my Sena. This is the best upgrade I have made to my bike, it's so much nicer to ride. I can ride at 100 kph with my visor up no problem and listen to music at 1/2 volume. Will probably still use earplugs when on the highway but not for short trips or around town. Very impressed with this windshield.

• Thumbsup 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't understand why so many people have had problems with the handguards after installing the Puig Touring Windscreen. Additionally, there's no need/reason to order any 3rd party handguard spacing brackets.

The Puig kit comes with brackets to move the outer handguard pieces further away from the bike. Once the brackets are installed, the outer handguard pieces are moved about 2" further out, & the bars can easily turn end-to-end without hitting the windscreen.

Probably because many people received their Puig screen without those brackets.

Mine didn't come with the brackets, neither did the replacement when I swapped smoke for clear. If Puig includes them now that's a good thing.

Probably because many people received their Puig screen without those brackets.  
Mine didn't come with the brackets, neither did the replacement when I swapped smoke for clear. If Puig includes them now that's a good thing.
Obviously, I can't say for how long Puig has included the brackets...after all, I've had my FJ-09 for less than a months....but, having dealt with Puig on other thing things, for those who ordered the Touring Windscreen prior to Puig including the brackets, if you contacted Puig, there's a decent chance they'd be willing to ship them to you, along with the additional hardware pieces (although they might request you to cover the shipping cost).  They're simple brackets (4 pieces), flat, approximately 2-1/2" in length, and come with 8 bolts & 4 nuts (one end of each bracket has, essentially, a built-in "nut". 
I know there are those who don't like, or never liked, the design of the stock Yamaha hand-guards, but there are also those who really like them.  It's for this latter group I suggest contacting Puig.  So far, everyone who has seen my FJ in-person really likes the hand-guard design.

...for those who ordered the Touring Windscreen prior to Puig including the brackets, if you contacted Puig, there's a decent chance they'd be willing to ship them to you, along with the additional hardware pieces...

They did this for me 2 years ago.. I don't remember having to pay for shipping either.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 5 weeks later...
This thread saved my bike, I'm a brand new FJ owner (leftover 2016 model) and the stocker was unbearable on the highway. I am anywhere from 60-90 mph on most of the roads I ride and the Puig has transformed the bike. I got the clear version as I find it doesn't visually stand out as much and make the bike look any different, and it doesn't interfere in my vision at any height.

I'm 5'11" and the Puig works in the lowest position with a small amount of smooth air on me. However, it was gusting side and head winds last night so I threw it up into the top position and it was great. The bubble is large and only the top of my helmet was getting any appreciable air. I took the bike up around 120 mph and it seemed solid and still provided great protection.

I have a Scorpion Exo AT950 modular, and I no longer need earplugs to ride the bike either. It was unbearably loud before, now I can also open my visor if I like at speed, and also hear the exhaust and induction notes.

The package came with the offset brackets. I find the left guard (not the shiny part displaced by the brackets) just kisses the inside of the screen at full lock and screen at max height, but just barely.

Overall this screen is a 10/10 for me. Well made, everything included, easy to install.
  • Thumbsup 1

I've had my FJ for a little less than two months now, and the Puig Touring Windscreen had not only been a blessing in disguise, but has (so far) proven to be the best aftermarket windscreen I've had. Granted, this is not my first Puig windscreen...I've used as Puig windscreen on 2 of my previous 6 bikes (2 other bikes had windscreens from 2 other manufacturers)...but, again, so far, it's the best. Next upgrade is to add electronic cruise control.

• 8 months later...

Hi TL,

I was pleased to see your review on the Puig touring screen. YouTube does not cover this topic well but you have. Unfortunately, I didn't get as far as testing the screen because I was was so disappointed in the bracket arrangement. I opted for the clear screen (on line advice!). The OEM screen comes await in 3 parts, the screen, the metal bracket and an interim plastic moulding. This moulding integrates with the bracket to cover the B surface of the dash panel. Puig have designed their bracket so you cannot reuse this interim moulding and you see the unsightly dash panel B side through the screen. So stupid! Unless I have got something wrong.... I will be returning the screen. We all like our bikes to look good as well as function properly but this looks bad! Any advice?

Capture.JPG

Looks like the design has changed. My clear Puig touring screen's lower section is solid black. 

It's a pretty ugly barn door of a screen anyway. But I like the way it works. If it really bothered me would paint the inside of the lower section.