Rear axle nut size?

scotto

THANKS FOR ASKING !!   i HAD THE SAME QUESTION! NOW TO FIND A TOOL ; ANY ADVICE??
I would just pick up a big socket just for this! That way you can use a torque wrench to torque it properly.  Harbor Freight has one for $4.39, otherwise some other local stores will have one. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-27mm-deep-wall-impact-socket-67790.html

or Sears, if you can find one:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-27mm-easy-to-read-impact-socket-6/p-00915871000P

Or Autozone:
http://www.autozone.com/ratchets-sockets-and-wrenches/socket/duralast-1-2-in-drive-27-mm-socket/557522_0_0/

• Premium Member
I lost my 27mm socket as I moved house twice during the time I had 2 shaft drive bikes. I paid £2.99 for a socket from Amazon. Added to another order to get postage free. I also got a torque wrench from Amazon as my brother "borrowed" mine. Both are Silverline brand which is decent enough quality for occasional use to tighten the axle bolt.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I found a quirk with this bike. There are 2 big ridges formed into the swingarm that pretty much prevent the use of a box wrench on the axle nut. A socket is fine, but I like to have a wrench with me on longer trips so I can adjust chain or remove wheel if needed. My 27mm aluminum wrench would not fit between the ridges to engage the nut. I ground down the perimeter of the wrench head a few millimeters, and now it fits, but can only be turned a degree or 2 to loosen the nut. I can get it done, but the wrench is on the nut kind of crooked during part of the turn. Your results may vary. I have yet to get an allen wrench big enough for the front axle. I think it is a 14mm. This is the first bike I can remember owning that did not come with tools to pull wheels.
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

• Premium Member
I found a quirk with this bike. There are 2 big ridges formed into the swingarm that pretty much prevent the use of a box wrench on the axle nut. A socket is fine, but I like to have a wrench with me on longer trips so I can adjust chain or remove wheel if needed. My 27mm aluminum wrench would not fit between the ridges to engage the nut. I ground down the perimeter of the wrench head a few millimeters, and now it fits, but can only be turned a degree or 2 to loosen the nut. I can get it done, but the wrench is on the nut kind of crooked during part of the turn. Your results may vary. I have yet to get an allen wrench big enough for the front axle. I think it is a 14mm. This is the first bike I can remember owning that did not come with tools to pull wheels.
This should work for touring, low profile, but sturdy, 27mm link. This will work for the front axle, 14mm link

$20 total, not bad.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Those are pretty nice, but I don't think I want to carry a 3/8 and 1/2 inch ratchets. I think that 14mm hex is 1/2" drive. Although an adapter could be used...

I am so glad to be riding on tubeless tires now. For the last few years I have had to deal with tubes and remove wheels and tires to fix flats. Now a 10 minute Stop n Go plugging gets me on my way. I still like the idea of being able to take off wheels on the road though.

Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

Archived