High beam "+" wire

a1willson

Does anyone know where I can tap into the positive side of the high beam? I'm trying to wire up my Clear Water LEDs and they have a wire from the controller to tap into high beam so the fog light go to the highest setting when you turn the high beams on. I have tried a few different wires but I can seem to find the right one.

• Premium Member
Does anyone know where I can tap into the positive side of the high beam? I'm trying to wire up my Clear Water LEDs and they have a wire from the controller to tap into high beam so the fog light go to the highest setting when you turn the high beams on. I have tried a few different wires but I can seem to find the right one.
Hard to tell from the wiring diagram, but the green wires come from the circuit breaker 94, go to the headlight controller, and on to the low/high beams. I would assume the green wires go to both headlight beams as the plus side, and the black wires are the ground side. The yellow, yellow/black wires go to the dim pass switch 81. 3970336.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Thanks I check the greens with a voltmeter but they appear to have power on for both high and low beams
I edited my post, might give more information. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I have checked the yellows and the power goes off when the high beams are turned on so it has the opposite effect of what I'm wanting. I guess I'll just not wire them to the high beams. Thanks for the help
Check the black wires. The yellow is for passing. Go from black to ground. 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 4 months later...
Hi, just wondered if anyone has came up with an answer for this one?
I also wanted to fit Clearwater lights so they would come on full power with high beam but I can't find a live either.
As above the wire seem to loose power when high beam is switched on as opposed to being powered up?
It has me beat at the moment.

This is simply "negative switching".  Not a common method, but my all means not entirely unusual.
If you were to connect your power feed to your lights the green/s, then the "earth" from your lights to the yellow - they will function correctly.

So I thought I had this problem licked. I got a NO/NC relay with 5 pins so as the 12V on the yellow wire drops off, the relay, would power up the other terminal (87a). I just finished wiring with this method and it does not work. as the 12V drops off, it still has a small voltage and seems to hold the switch open! Works fine with a 12V feed from the battery. Grr

Any electrical engineers out there? Or could you doc explain more about what you propose? I hesitate to connect earth to the yellow, which to me is a short?

This is kim's other half by the way.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

OK, Got it.

Doc is right, the high beam is negative switched. There are diagrams on google if you search them on how to do the relay, You have to run power to the relay where you would normally run earth.

Does this work for you?

I had tried to get it to work using the same yellow wire and it shows about 0.1v when the power drops off. I found it was putting the High Beam symbol on the dash display at all times? Maybe I have done something wrong somewhere?

I had all but given up on the idea and was thinking about using a totally separate feed threw a different switch.

Any info would be great!

Andrew.

Kimmie can you either link to what you found online or explain how you wired a relay to work for the negative switch? I would really like to get my Clearwater LEDs to switch to the max brightness when I switch the high beams on.
Hey Wilson,

I can't take the credit for this......my super wonderful hubby Karl is the genius and figured it out.
When I get home, I'll ask him if he do a detailed response to the forum.
Hopefully that will help you.

Here's the result of the installation of Rigid Industries driving lights (3060 lumens each)

Standard low beam

20160126_205718_zps0lc0vnph.jpg

High Beam + Driving Lights

20160126_205724_zps3bdbs2fy.jpg

I'm looking forward to testing them out on the open road very soon.

This page explains negative switching and has a nice diagram. Worked for me with the yellow wire as the trigger.

Paste into google: canter4x4.com/technical/installing-driving-lights/

K