Anyone adjusted the handlebars?

I'm sorry to say this thread has me turned around now. The first pictures by TexscottyD show the risers in one position that he says are not standard, or supposedly how they are supposed to be from the factory. That means that setting is further away from the rider. Ok, but then perolaforss posts the risers in the exact same position and says they are in the stock position? See my trouble? 

I've looked at them closely and mine are in the same position as both of those folks. The longer part of the rectangle is further from the rider. So which is it? I want the bars bit closer to me. 

54 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

I'm sorry to say this thread has me turned around now. The first pictures by TexscottyD show the risers in one position that he says are not standard, or supposedly how they are supposed to be from the factory. That means that setting is further away from the rider. Ok, but then perolaforss posts the risers in the exact same position and says they are in the stock position? See my trouble? 

I've looked at them closely and mine are in the same position as both of those folks. The longer part of the rectangle is further from the rider. So which is it? I want the bars bit closer to me. 

The pictures are from different angles. @texscottyd's picture is from the front looking toward the rider and @perolaforss is from the rider's position looking forward. The risers are facing opposite directions.

To answer your question, if you want the bars closer to the rider, the angle on the risers should be facing the rider position. The top clamp is irrelevant.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

23 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

The pictures are from different angles. @texscottyd's picture is from the front looking toward the rider and @perolaforss is from the rider's position looking forward. The risers are facing opposite directions.

To answer your question, if you want the bars closer to the rider, the angle on the risers should be facing the rider position. The top clamp is irrelevant.

Thanks, I was looking at them wrong. Now I have to figure out how to loosed those damn nuts under the triangle. I can reach them with long extensions but for some reason my 14mm sockets. both 6 sided and 12 sided, slip on the nuts instead of turning them. You can't approach them from straight ahead with a straight system because the forks clamps push you off center. I guess I would need one of those swivels that let's you change the angle of the input from the output! 

Edited by Salish900
Misunderstood what I was seeing.

2 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

First impressions are that it is on the edge, but maybe fine. Give me a few thousand miles and I'll know. 

I spent some time with mine before deciding that I wanted my bars further back.  The angle of the seat and the position of the pegs tend to make you lean forward as it stands as a default riding position, but I wanted to be able to sit upright comfortably without straight-arming the bars and I have a very long torso (and am 6'4").  

I ended up going with Helibar riser (there's a thread in the parts reviews about it), which moves the bars up and back IIRC 1 1/4", which - for me at least - was absolutely perfect.  It's a very solid part, too, blends in with the bike so well it appears stock.  

Hey Wintersdark, I hear you and appreciate the experience being shared. I'm 6'2" and so am a bit on edge here. I really don't mind or even notice the leg and foot position, even though it seems a big problem for many. I just don't notice it. Very comfortable to me, but I'm fairly athletic still in my early 50's and all the joints are still pretty much like new. My arms are a bit more extended than I may prefer, and I'm leaning forward a bit, not neutral but like I said it is on the edge of Ok. 

By the way, I have good friends in Calgary and have spent a fair amount of time there and a whole lot of time backpacking through your gorgeous Canadian rockies for almost 30 years. Paradise to me. You are lucky. I did a road trip there and around on my Connie a few years ago. Great memories. Will do again on my Tracer! 

• Supporting Member

Just for reference, here’s what the risers look like off the bike.  You can clearly see the offset of the handlebar clamping area from the centerline of the mounting stud.   

The second picture gives you an idea of how much the bar moves when you rotate the risers 180 degrees.  

A04A19EA-994E-471C-8A8C-9B81E20D9CF0.thumb.jpeg.3ee3370ec9ee8cb7808490ddb64de4ba.jpeg

4C91E06A-3DF4-42C6-AE0E-ED23B8AEFB21.thumb.jpeg.ecf877a346201afdae20fee95a55ff12.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1