Skully helmets, anyone own one?

Cruizin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I just read and watched a couple videos on the skully helmet. I hope these guys are successful and maybe by version 2 or 3 they'll have one that I can afford. The technology looks really cool. I read on one site that they are trying to implement a small wind turbine so the helmet will self charge as you ride. I really like the rear view camera.

I don't understand the concept of "smart" helmets because it's recommended we switch helmets every 5 years. So unless it has a module that we can switch over to the new helmet, I don't see how it's possible.

• Premium Member
I don't understand the concept of "smart" helmets because it's recommended we switch helmets every 5 years. So unless it has a module that we can switch over to the new helmet, I don't see how it's possible.
If you can afford the Skully, you can afford to replace it every 5 years. 
(I'm only half joking when I say that.)

Like you, I'm more inclined to go for some kind of smart attachment than an uber-expensive helmet.  Bluetooth communicators are a good example, and I anticipate that we'll see versions that have video displays sometime in the next few years.

I've considered building one myself, using a small LCD panel and a Raspberry Pi or Arduino board.  I was thinking that an app on the phone could do the heavy lifting and then transmit display information via BT to a simplistic rendering system on the helmet.  GPS can calculate speed, you could tap into the bike electronics using a BT adapter to get RPM, current gear, etc.

That would be simple enough to build and kind of fun, but I already have more than enough projects to keep me busy until I'm good and truly dead so I don't actually see myself doing it any time soon.  I'll be surprised if someone doesn't do it eventually though.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I'm of the other thinking on this and I wouldn't want one if it was free. Don't need anymore distractions. I honestly don't care what's behind me. That view isn't gonna save my life and I'm not gonna live in fear wondering what's coming. I rather see more advanced tech in noise reduction so I don't ear plugs

• 1 month later...
I do not own one of these helmets, however! I have gotten to ride with one! The display inside the helmet is certainly something to get used to. This has been a project from skully for the past couple years and has been a kickstarter for quite a while. I actually applied to be a beta tester for this product a few years back and did get a chance to ride with one (however was not selected as a beta tester) :( . Certainly if you knew you needed an entire new setup it would be worth looking into, however for the cost of the product it is pretty hard to replace my Sena and my current favorite helmet that I already own for that cost! Certainly an interesting product and just takes some time to get used to the heads up display built in when wearing it.

• 3 years later...
  • Premium Member

Reviving an old thread...

There have been several company's vying for the smart helmet market within the last few years. It's getting closer to being an actual thing. The latest I've seen is Crosshelmet. Apparently they're actually going to produce and ship "by June of 19". Personally, I'm into waiting through a few iterations while kinks are worked out. Thoughts?

igbackground.jpg
WWW.CROSSHELMET.COM

The world's smartest motorcycle helmet, featuring 360° vision, noise...

Archived