Everyone, please answer this poll!! Elka Rear Shocks.

Cruizin

• Premium Member
Ken makes a good point, I haven't put in enough miles yet to determine if it good or bad. I am just assuming I would need to upgrade due to my weight and past experience with my previous bike. So I think I will probably wait and put in some miles and break it in before I upgrade myself.

Much appreciation to Elka for coming on board and working with us on a shock upgrade.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had the bike out in the Carolina mountain twisties 3 times since I got it and as far the suspension goes I haven't noticed anything to complain about. I've got Ohlins on my FJR so I'm no stranger to the benefits of good suspension but I'll likely wait a couple seasons for the stock FJ-09 suspension to wear out before I upgrade. I might get linear springs for the front forks but that's about it for now.

I've had the bike out in the Carolina mountain twisties 3 times since I got it and as far the suspension goes I haven't noticed anything to complain about. I've got Ohlins on my FJR so I'm no stranger to the benefits of good suspension but I'll likely wait a couple seasons for the stock FJ-09 suspension to wear out before I upgrade. I might get linear springs for the front forks but that's about it for now.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think linear springs will do for you? (not a loaded question, just curious).

Just out of curiosity, what do you think linear springs will do for you? (not a loaded question, just curious).
Yamaha uses progressive springs in the FJ-09 forks which are a one-size-fits-all deal with resistance to bottoming out.  Not bad but linear springs rated for my weight would be better and are an inexpensive upgrade. 

• 2 weeks later...
How about a shock with a bit better technology, comp and rebound, preload, length adjustable, A mid valve, and a bypass, with a 35mm piston? For under a grand? 

I'm waiting for - "But wait! There's more! If you order now you also get the shamwow ultra..."

How about a shock with a bit better technology, comp and rebound, preload, length adjustable, A mid valve, and a bypass, with a 35mm piston? For under a grand? 

I'm waiting for - "But wait! There's more! If you order now you also get the shamwow ultra..."

Shamwow? Hey look, I'm trying to find good deals for the members of this forum. I'm not out trying to scam anyone or sell junk.

Do you guys have a Problem with that?

Shamwow? Hey look, I'm trying to find good deals for the members of this forum. I'm not out trying to scam anyone or sell junk.

I thought the 'shamwow' was just in response to drduc's wish list for a very high end shock at low end price?? Keep up the good work Cruizin, ignore the peanuts! ;)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

The prices listed in the poll are in Canadian $$ (Elka is in Quebec. Still in Canada for now...)
Currently CDN $1 = US $0.80

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I thought the 'shamwow' was just in response to drduc's wish list for a very high end shock at low end price?? Keep up the good work Cruizin, ignore the peanuts! ;)

Indeed.  

• 2 weeks later...
Good info John. The abilities and price point of Stage 4 suit me just fine, I found once the proper spring rate for rider is installed one click up for a long tour is no big deal to adjust with a tool.

Is the shock length identical on both FZ09 and FJ09 ? Have you worked out resi plumbing yet ?

Thanks Cruzin and Elka, keep us informed.

Archived