How to install the 2nd 12 volt outlet

gfventresca

Haven't seen anyone do this or post of doing it. Maybe you could be the first and post pictures of the process. Seams like it would be an easy one, plug and play type install similar to the heated grips, but easier.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
It couldn't be easier. Some have said that you can remove the instrument cluster to get at the connections, but I removed the windshield and it's mounting plate to access them. Couple of plastic pop rivets to remove the cover around the location where the new socket will reside.

Easy. Once you start, you'll figure it out.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
Remove it the same way you do the larger ones.
The others were easy as I could reach behind and push.

If you push the center part in it releases. Are you removing the wind screen and its associated parts?

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Any tips on how to push out the center (white) pop rivet in dash cover?
Push the center in, not out (will release the locking mechanism just like pulling it out) and you then use your fingernail to pop the entire fastener out. Note, you do not remove the center piece as some have alluded to.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

No, easier than that. These are quick fasteners, no need to take the centre out.

TO REMOVE
Push the centre pin in - this releases the "legs" and allows you to pull the whole fastener out

TO REPLACE
Push the centre pin back so it protrudes beyond the front face (this also releases the legs)

Place the fastner back into the hole and push the pin so it is flush with the surface - legs are now locked again
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

No, easier than that. These are quick fasteners, no need to take the centre out.  
TO REMOVE
Push the centre pin in - this releases the "legs" and allows you to pull the whole fastener out

TO REPLACE
Push the centre pin back so it protrudes beyond the front face (this also releases the legs)

Place the fastner back into the hole and push the pin so it is flush with the surface - legs are now locked again
I've been making it too hard.  Have been pushing the center up from behind which allows the whole thing to come out easily. 
I didn't realize that all I had to do was push the center in and the whole thing also came out. 

Thanks for straightening me out!

They're quite ingenious aren't they!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• 2 years later...
It's a good idea. Get a connector (pic2) and wire in to cigarette lighter socket. This will the plug into empty back socket behind dash. 102 pic 3 I the popped in a dual USB pic 1 so I can power phone, whilst using original cigarette lighter for my aging garmin.

IMG_3773.png

IMG_3774.png
IMG_3604.jpg

It's a good idea. Get a connector (pic2) and wire in to cigarette lighter socket. This will the plug into empty back socket behind dash. 102 pic 3 I the popped in a dual USB pic 1 so I can power phone, whilst using original cigarette lighter for my aging garmin. 

IMG_3774.png

Where did you get this connector?  The only place that I found that sells them is in the UK and they do not ship to Canada.  Do you have a US source?

IMG_3774.png

Where did you get this connector?  The only place that I found that sells them is in the UK and they do not ship to Canada.  Do you have a US source?

K&L supply is the US distributor for OE Yamaha connectors and pins. They’re in CA. Don’t know what shipping to Canada would be sorry.

-Skip