NGK Iridium spark plugs

peporter

Gonna replace the plugs on mine soon, is it easy to remove the tank? Do you disconnect everything and completely remove it or just enough things to rest it to one side? TIA ;)
As I saw the service done on my bike by 2 different Yamaha dealers, there are 2 ways to replace the plugs: 1) remove the tank 2) remove radiator. Option 2 is less complicated...

Been running iridiums for 5k miles. The 40k rated version, not the 80k rated version with platinum tip. Without a dyno not claiming any performance change. Simply wanted longer service interval and less times to handle/stress/pull those coil-on-caps that look like they could be damaged if ham-fisted.
I installed the NGK CR9EIA-9 plugs at 8000 moles.  I now have 22,600 miles and am having the valves adjusted this week.  I will be relplacing the plugs with the same CR9EIA-9.  I have the 2WDW flash and noticed no difference from the stock spark plugs.  I have had no temperature related issues either.  I also wanted a longer service interval.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 1 year later...

Curious what makes that "correct"? NGK doesn't actually list an iridium for the FJ-09 do they? 

There's more than one that will work IMO. Some are rated 40k others 80k with platinum tip. I've been using the 40k version in extreme conditions and working well. 

5 hours ago, chitown said:

I'd still be interested in an NGK application source if someone has one.

The CR9EIX installed in my '15 have now seen 10k plus in extreme conditions and I'm pleased.

Stock plugs should be good for 12-16k miles even though Yamaha says 8k

iridium plug is on the left.

and no it’s not just the camera angle, they really are that much different in length.

the P in the NGK part number makes a big difference. 

7FEAA3D1-20F6-4E3C-B8C8-919BE79BA707.jpeg

ngksparkplug.jpg

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, skipperT said:

Stock plugs should be good for 12-16k miles even though Yamaha says 8k

In my experience they should be good for at least double that.  I have always changed mine at the valve service, - about 24-26k because everything is already torn apart.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Interesting. That Malaysia guide is the first ngk pub I've seen with an application. Was already aware of the dimensional differences. CPR9EAIX-9 doesn't seem to be available from the places I normally buy plugs. Unless something changes I'll be running the Iridiums I have for 40k ish miles.  

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/31/2016 at 1:01 PM, eeetea said:

The OP states that NGK recommended and he fitted plug CR9EIA-9, and later CocoST mentions an issue of hot pipes.

From the NGK site:

So clearly different plugs will run the engine at different temperatures. On selecting Heat Range, NGK state:

There is also quite a good description on plug basics here Linky Linky to NGK

On the NGK site, when looking for plugs for the FJ-09 / Tracer NGK only list a "Standard" plug, NOT an Iridium alternative. The part No for the standard plug is CPR9EA-9 # Stock Number 2308

It sounds to me as though the Iridium plug CR9EIA-9 probably is the equivalent to CPR9EA-9 ... but that doesn't explain why there is no iridium listing on the NGK site for the FJ09?

Finally as a comment to CocoST, are you sure that you actually fitted the correct plug (id est, did you check the actual plugs? - who know's whether they accidentally ended up in the correct box?

For me, if a supplier says they dont fit my application I DONT BUY THEM! Could be lots of reasons-heat range, too long or short, lots of reasons. Why ask for problems. And if somebody who wants to sell me something but says dont buy it thats good enough for me.