Newbie Questions...

martyl

• Premium Member
Getting my FJ09 in about three weeks. Some newbie questions:
1) Proper break in? Ride and cool down? Intervals? I hear Break in is about 600 miles? I also heard do about 3/4 throttle? Do I go through all modes (A, Standard, & B) while breaking in?
2) I'm sure this will be in the manual but I have to ask, where do I check the oil? Not to start an oil thread but what does Yamaha recommend oil wise? Do I fill the gas tank to the filler neck? I plan on using premium. OK?
3) Tire pressure front & rear? How often do you check?
4) Suspension: I'm 5'11" 200 lbs. Will I have to tweak the shocks?
Thanks... I'm sure I'll have more questions...

A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Getting my FJ09 in about three weeks. Some newbie questions: 1) Proper break in? Ride and cool down? Intervals? I hear Break in is about 600 miles? I also heard do about 3/4 throttle? Do I go through all modes (A, Standard, & B) while breaking in?
2) I'm sure this will be in the manual but I have to ask, where do I check the oil? Not to start an oil thread but what does Yamaha recommend oil wise? Do I fill the gas tank to the filler neck? I plan on using premium. OK?

Here is the first place to look: linky Know issues is here: linky1
1) If you can not find your manual, there is a PDF here. I can link to it if you can 't  find it. Linky2
2) Sight gage on lower right side.
3) 36/42 psi. Premium fuel only.
4) Yes, definately. Not in manual, but different settings here somewhere. I can help you find it if you can't. link3
In the url bock type the following for any questions that you can't find: your question, a space, the word site, a colon, fj-09.org and hit enter.
Example, tire pressure site:fj-09.org

Before you ask, yes the chain is too tight per spec. Use 1 inch to 1-1/4 inch slack.
Yes the stock windscreen sucks and yes there is a HUGE thread on recommendations.
Yup, the top speed is limited to 114 mph on US bikes.
Yup, the seat wobbles. It really wobbles if not installed properly.
And here is everybodies favorite, an OIL thread!!  linky4

Hope this helps.

Hope this is helpful

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Getting my FJ09 in about three weeks. Some newbie questions: 1) Proper break in? Ride and cool down? Intervals? I hear Break in is about 600 miles? I also heard do about 3/4 throttle? Do I go through all modes (A, Standard, & B) while breaking in?

1-according to the manual, break in is to keep it under 5k rpm for the first 600 miles then under 6k rpms until 1k miles. Now that the manual is represented, there are about as many opinions on break in as there are motorcycles on the road.

2- there's a glass window on the right side of the bike to see the oil level. The bike needs to be level, preferably on the center stand. I can't recall the oil type but you don't need to worry about that until you have 600 miles on the bike. By then you'll have a manual.

3-Without looking it up, tire pressure is 36 front 42 back. As far as how often to check, best answer is probably before every ride. That is true of any bike.

4-you should set the sag on any bike. Hard telling where the dealer is going to set the bike up at initially. It somewhat depends on your riding style too.

• Premium Member
most questions have been answered - first thing to do before twiddling suspension, read the manual to find the stock settings and ensure the bike has been left there by the dealer during the set-up. Ride the bike for a bot and then adjust, remembering or noting down, what you have done with reference to the factory setting. That way, you can always go back to a previous setting or just start again if you make a poor choice.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Thanks, I downloaded the manual. Man! The shift points are low! Also, for downshift the manual states 3rd. At 16 MPH. and doesn't even list from third to 2nd. Does that mean when decelerating from third to just pull in the clutch, roll to a stop from 16 MPH. Then put her in neutral?
I have to say this is my first modern motorcycle in my plus forty years of riding. I have to chuckle at all the sensors this bike has. It's cool. Just different for me. I currently own a 1976 Yamaha XS 650C I bought new when I was 17 years old. My other bike is a 2010 Ural Gear-Up with sidecar. Both Okd tech and heavy on the throttle. I realize that the FJ09 is totally different and I'm gonna love it! Whoo! Hoo!!! :-)

Thanks, I downloaded the manual. Man! The shift points are low! Also, for downshift the manual states 3rd. At 16 MPH. and doesn't even list from third to 2nd. Does that mean when decelerating from third to just pull in the clutch, roll to a stop from 16 MPH. Then put her in neutral? I have to say this is my first modern motorcycle in my plus forty years of riding. I have to chuckle at all the sensors this bike has. It's cool. Just different for me. I currently own a 1976 Yamaha XS 650C I bought new when I was 17 years old. My other bike is a 2010 Ural Gear-Up with sidecar. Both Okd tech and heavy on the throttle. I realize that the FJ09 is totally different and I'm gonna love it! Whoo! Hoo!!! :-)
Those shift points are "minimum" shift points that are used by no one in real world driving.  This is my first brand new bike.  My only bike before this was a 1970 Honda CB450 I bought from my father.  Quite a big change to say the least.

• Premium Member
IMO, ignore the shift points and go by the tach. 

I'd recommend shifting down through every gear, including 1st, before putting in the clutch and coming to a halt.

I believe that for any relatively short stop, best practice is to leave the bike in first with the clutch in and your foot on the brake. This puts you in the best position to take off when the time comes, which may happen sooner than you expect (emergency vehicles from behind, crazy idiots from behind, etc.).

Shifting before 5k or 6k at no more than 3/4 throttle will still leave you with more power than most of the surrounding vehicles.

Things get much more interesting above 6k at full throttle :-D

The sad thing about modern high-performance motorcycles is that you can often really wind them out to redline only in 1st and 2nd gears if you want to stay anywhere near any known speed limits. The challenge on the FJ is that you'll be bouncing off the traction control the whole time, as it really wants to wheelie. I have been thinking of attaching some bricks to the fork to keep the front wheel down--I think that would help. (jk)

• Premium Member
you can often really wind them out to redline only in 1st and 2nd gears if you want to stay anywhere near any known speed limits.
80 mph in 2nd, and I'm already past the speed limit. Don't blink or you'll pass the redline! Sure is a hoot tho' 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

1-according to the manual, break in is to keep it under 5k rpm for the first 600 miles then under 6k rpms until 1k miles. Now that the manual is represented, there are about as many opinions on break in as there are motorcycles on the road. 
2- there's a glass window on the right side of the bike to see the oil level. The bike needs to be level, preferably on the center stand. I can't recall the oil type but you don't need to worry about that until you have 600 miles on the bike. By then you'll have a manual.

3-Without looking it up, tire pressure is 36 front 42 back. As far as how often to check, best answer is probably before every ride. That is true of any bike.

4-you should set the sag on any bike. Hard telling where the dealer is going to set the bike up at initially. It somewhat depends on your riding style too.

I am always amazed how many people don't read the manual regarding engine break in.  As noted above in root's post, regarding 600 and 1000 limits for rpm.  This is not what the manual says.  It says to "Avoid prolonged operation above 5,600 rpm" 0-600 miles, and "Avoid prolonged operation above 6800 rpm" 600-1000 miles.  What it says before this is much more important, "do not put an excessive load on it (the engine) for the first 1000 miles"  and the manual also clarifies the use of full throttle by indicating "prolonged full throttle or any condition that might result in engine overheating must be avoided." 
Therefore:  Run it as fast as you want, over 5600 or 6800 rpm,  just don't do it all day long (prolonged).  Rap, that throttle to full throttle, just don't overheat the engine.  Folks, the oil will do it's job if you don't abuse it (heat).  I have  been at 10-11,000 a few times every day from day one.  How can you not want to?  Yamaha says it's okay.  

Don't read into Yamah's Engine break-in what is not there.  Have fun from day one, just don't be stupid about it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I am always amazed how many people don't read the manual regarding engine break in.  As noted above in root's post, regarding 600 and 1000 limits for rpm.  This is not what the manual says.  It says to "Avoid prolonged operation above 5,600 rpm" 0-600 miles, and "Avoid prolonged operation above 6800 rpm" 600-1000 miles.  What it says before this is much more important, "do not put an excessive load on it (the engine) for the first 1000 miles"  and the manual also clarifies the use of full throttle by indicating "prolonged full throttle or any condition that might result in engine overheating must be avoided." 
Therefore:  Run it as fast as you want, over 5600 or 6800 rpm,  just don't do it all day long (prolonged).  Rap, that throttle to full throttle, just don't overheat the engine.  Folks, the oil will do it's job if you don't abuse it (heat).  I have  been at 10-11,000 a few times every day from day one.  How can you not want to?  Yamaha says it's okay.  

Don't read into Yamah's Engine break-in what is not there.  Have fun from day one, just don't be stupid about it.

THIS! I'm surprised at how many people continue to quote the "Don't go above 5K".  It doesn't say that anywhere.  Basically, just ride your bike.  Change the oil at 600.  Done. 

• Premium Member
Another Newbie question... The factory warning sticker on the gas tank (Matt Grey finish), how is that removed? Does it just peel off or do I need some kind of sticker solution? If so, what's safe to use? Just prepping for when I take delivery...Thanks...

• Premium Member
Another Newbie question... The factory warning sticker on the gas tank (Matt Grey finish), how is that removed? Does it just peel off or do I need some kind of sticker solution? If so, what's safe to use? Just prepping for when I take delivery...Thanks...
Mine peeled right off. Try heating with a hair dryer if it is difficult to remove.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

THIS! I'm surprised at how many people continue to quote the "Don't go above 5K".  It doesn't say that anywhere.  Basically, just ride your bike.  Change the oil at 600.  Done.
As I said, there are as many opinions on break in as there are riders.  I'm sorry I didn't exactly quote the manual RPMs and remembered ever so slightly more conservative numbers.  I am always amazed how many people assume things that aren't true.  I read the manual, 6 months and 4000 miles ago.  Sorry if I didn't get all the details exactly the way you interpreted them.  I did read it though.   

With that apology being said, I'm not sure how you can "avoid excessive load" and still "rap the throttle to full throttle".  You can't get a more excessive load on a bike than full throttle.  If the manual says you shouldn't have any regard for the rpm limits listed in the manual, why would they put them there?  You are free to interpret the manual however you please.  There's quite a bit of ambiguity in it.  While I don't disagree that you can take the bike over the RPMs listed briefly and still be within the guidelines of the manual, I disagree that the manual implies you should take it to full throttle day one, especially to the rev limiter.  I'm not saying you are wrong to do so, I just don't believe the manual implies that, no matter how much you want it to.  It's up to each owner to decide for themselves if they want to take it conservative or rap the throttle to full throttle to the rev limiter during break in, or somewhere in between the two extremes.  I personally was somewhere in between.  There's not a lot of evidence I've seen that shows either methodology really does that much harm or good.  Also, there's plenty of power below 5.6k to still enjoy the first 600 miles, if one chooses to take that path.  There's always the motoman break in as well that a lot of people find success with that takes it to the other extreme.  

• Premium Member
Another question; What did you guys get in your tool kit? I have one open end wrench, one shock adjuster spanner wrench, one extender bar for spanner wrench, one helmet holder cable, and one rubber hold down for tool roll. Now, I didn't look at the stock seat that's temporally in the hard bags (I got a replacement Corbin seat installed) maybe there are some more tools attached under the stock seat? Anyway, the tool kit seems pretty lacking?

Archived