Newbie Questions...

martyl

• Premium Member
New question; my left hand hand guard is slightly lower than my right hand guard. I have an Ermax touring sport windshield and because the left hand guard set up slightly lower (tilted down) its hitting the windshield. How to I readjust the hand guard? There is a bolt facing me under the mirror stem and the hex bolt at the end of the guard. Do I just loosen those two bolts? Is there a toque spec for them? Thanks...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
New question; my left hand hand guard is slightly lower than my right hand guard. I have an Ermax touring sport windshield and because the left hand guard set up slightly lower (tilted down) its hitting the windshield. How to I readjust the hand guard? There is a bolt facing me under the mirror stem and the hex bolt at the end of the guard. Do I just loosen those two bolts? Is there a toque spec for them? Thanks...
Torque as shown: Looks like 7Lb/Ft for those. Careful as the damn things are made of swiss cheese.

snippitysnip_zpsobl5nwtn.jpg

Edit - this is the brake side, but torque values are the same on the 2 clutch side retaining bolts shown on 13.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
This diagram might help:

snippity2_zps7ut7ibu1.jpg

• Premium Member
Thanks! So I can assume that loosening the two number 13 bolts and the bolt at the end of the hand guard will allow me to pivot the whole hand guard and clutch lever?

• Premium Member
Thanks! So I can assume that loosening the two number 13 bolts and the bolt at the end of the hand guard will allow me to pivot the whole hand guard and clutch lever?
On the throttle side, yes. 
On the clutch side, there's just one 8mm bolt facing rider position that needs loosened to rotate the clutch lever slightly to drop the hand guard a bit. This one shown just above the number 13:

snip3_zpsknfjwn6z.jpg

• Premium Member
It's good knowing how to adjust the hand levers on a bike. I do this with every new bike I buy, getting the levers to a comfortable position for my hands is pretty important to me. Foot levers / shifter as well. Having them set to your body size & position is a smart move that improves comfort & rider safety. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Made the adjustment today. Still just touching the edge of the Ermax tall sport windshield when I turn all the way to the right. I may have to trim the windshield a little. More to follow... Just loving the FJ09. I'm at around 3800 miles. I can feel she's breaking in. Time to start planning some trips. Here in Central Florida this morning it was 40 degrees out. I like it brisk but now thinking about getting the heated grips... Life is good....

Archived