Africa Twin CRF1000L

db5304

So I saw some news on this bike a few months ago when I saw the pictures of the concept on the street.  I'm still kind of a newbie and the FJ is my first new bike.  I'm still paying on it although I only did a 3 year financing.  I've been tooling around with the idea of a cheaper dual sport / adv bike and really wanted a KLR.  One of the big things I really wanted was a 4 stroke Fuel Injected bike.  Well I just watched the following video (i've seen some others), and I must say I really want this bike.  So much so that if i got a demo on one and it was fun/comfortable enough, I'd consider trading the FJ.  I could afford, but don't think I could justify two bike payments while still having an auto payment.  I am really interested in getting into adventure riding however and love the idea of off road ability.  I've taken the FJ down some rough roads including one that looked like a four wheeler trail.  Its done great on everything but large gravel.  But this bike looks amazing.  I also want to start doing some camping off the back of the bike.  My ultimate goal is going to be to do a canada and or south america tour, although this is likely way down the road. 

I did a search for the bike first on the forum and only thing i can find is cruzin's signature.  Looks like your hosting even another forum good sir?  I may have to join up over there.  Anyone else looking at this bike?  I have a feeling its going to sell like hot cakes, just like the FZ and FJ.  its quite a bit more than the KLR, but IMO offers a lot more, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than a 1200 gs.  it does seem to have a small tank though, and that may be a limiting factor for range. 

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzT_bKsItLA]

Edit: according to specs on the EU website it gets about 21.7 km/l and with an 18.8 litre tank thats a 256 miles per tank.  I converted along the way and determined its almost 51 mpg with an almost 5 gallon tank.  thats impressive and beats out the FJ.  

source

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I saw some news on this bike a few months ago when I saw the pictures of the concept on the street.  I'm still kind of a newbie and the FJ is my first new bike.  I'm still paying on it although I only did a 3 year financing.  I've been tooling around with the idea of a cheaper dual sport / adv bike and really wanted a KLR.  One of the big things I really wanted was a 4 stroke Fuel Injected bike.  Well I just watched the following video (i've seen some others), and I must say I really want this bike.  So much so that if i got a demo on one and it was fun/comfortable enough, I'd consider trading the FJ.  I could afford, but don't think I could justify two bike payments while still having an auto payment.  I am really interested in getting into adventure riding however and love the idea of off road ability.  I've taken the FJ down some rough roads including one that looked like a four wheeler trail.  Its done great on everything but large gravel.  But this bike looks amazing.  I also want to start doing some camping off the back of the bike.  My ultimate goal is going to be to do a canada and or south america tour, although this is likely way down the road.  
I did a search for the bike first on the forum and only thing i can find is cruzin's signature.  Looks like your hosting even another forum good sir?  I may have to join up over there.  Anyone else looking at this bike?  I have a feeling its going to sell like hot cakes, just like the FZ and FJ.  its quite a bit more than the KLR, but IMO offers a lot more, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than a 1200 gs.  it does seem to have a small tank though, and that may be a limiting factor for range. 

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzT_bKsItLA]
To be honest, the only reason I looked at the adv style bikes is because of the ergonomics of them. They just fit me better than any other type I've tried. A very large percentage of the people with adv styled bikes never take them off road and that includes me. That's the main reason I got the FJ over much more off-road capable competing bikes. The FJ doesn't compromise the on road performance for something I personally will never do. If you will take it off road, it looks like the Africa Twin would be a great bike for it. You certainly don't want to do much off-roading on the FJ. So while the Africa Twin is not for me, I can certainly understand the appeal for those that want to do real off-roading. IMHO, one of the biggest reasons the GS is so popular is because of the show Long Way Round. Great show. It's a great time to be a biker. There are so many awesome bikes to ride. Sometimes it makes it very difficult to choose which is right for you.

Yea long way round is really what got me into trouble with all this thinking.  They talked about Ted Simon and I put his book on my wishlist.  Well then I bought the first one, started reading and bought the other 2 jupiters books.  

I just can't stomach the price of the BMW's, they seem like nice bikes and all, but I don't think they are worth the price tag.  This is why I'm in no way a Harley fan as well, evne used the bikes go for way too much.  I don't understand how a 90's standard cruiser can still be selling for $7k when I could buy a 201x star/suzuki for $2-5k range.  I won't even talk about fully decked out dresser bikes.    

Yea long way round is really what got me into trouble with all this thinking.  They talked about Ted Simon and I put his book on my wishlist.  Well then I bought the first one, started reading and bought the other 2 jupiters books.   
I just can't stomach the price of the BMW's, they seem like nice bikes and all, but I don't think they are worth the price tag.  This is why I'm in no way a Harley fan as well, evne used the bikes go for way too much.  I don't understand how a 90's standard cruiser can still be selling for $7k when I could buy a 201x star/suzuki for $2-5k range.  I won't even talk about fully decked out dresser bikes.    

The show certainly made me dream of doing a true adventure trip.  I just have no experience with off road riding.  I really don't have access to any good off road riding where I live, at least within a distance that I could go several times a year to prepare.  There's no way I would want to have my first off road riding experience on an 800 lb bike that was loaded up with another couple hundred pounds of stuff for a trip.  So, the realist in me tells me it's never going to happen for me unfortunately.  I am jealous of those that can though.  lol.

• Premium Member

OK you guys have me intrigued... So I looked up Long Way Round on Netflix and it's available to stream..   I'm watching tonight!!! 
Now if they would just do an adventure bike series based on Naked and Afraid....

OK you guys have me intrigued... So I looked up Long Way Round on Netflix and it's available to stream..   I'm watching tonight!!! 
Now if they would just do an adventure bike series based on Naked and Afraid....
Netflix is how I found it.  They did a sequel called Long Way Down as well for when you are done binge watching the first series.

Javashot1, you will not be dissapointed, I was instantly hooked on those.  It is about 10 1 hour episodes, so if you only watched the first one, its a bit slow.  There is a lot of setup initially, but if you haven't watched the first episode, watch the second and you will be hooked.  I already mentioned the Jupiters Travel's series in another post, but I just finished the first and really enjoyed that as well.  Its the book that inspired Ewan and Charlie's trips.  

I'm still waiting for there long way down America's edition to happen.  There was a hint at it in a moto guzzi plug that Ewan did recently.  Maybe they would let me tag along.  

Javashot1, you will not be dissapointed, I was instantly hooked on those.  It is about 10 1 hour episodes, so if you only watched the first one, its a bit slow.  There is a lot of setup initially, but if you haven't watched the first episode, watch the second and you will be hooked.  I already mentioned the Jupiters Travel's series in another post, but I just finished the first and really enjoyed that as well.  Its the book that inspired Ewan and Charlie's trips.   
I'm still waiting for there long way down America's edition to happen.  There was a hint at it in a moto guzzi plug that Ewan did recently.  Maybe they would let me tag along.  

Long way round got my head spun around too. Awesome series.

• 1 month later...
I sat on one of these new africa twins at the long beach motorcycle show (they had prototypes out for the unwashed masses to drool on). at least sitting on it, it felt like a super ten, maybe a bit less hefty. somewhere between a ktm 1190 S and a super ten.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Curiosity got the better of me - I loved the original so, I have a day off later this week and a test ride has been booked.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'm looking forward to test riding the new @ as well, just to see what its like....
Although i've no intention of ever buying one. Its too off roadie with spoked, tubed wheels with a 21" front. I dont go off road, so there's no point putting up with that for road only riding.
If they brought out a more dual sport version with 17/19 alloy wheels, then i could have been interested. Triumph did 2 versions with their Tiger 800, so i dont see why Honda couldn't have done.

• Premium Member
I'm looking forward to test riding the new @ as well, just to see what its like.... Although i've no intention of ever buying one. Its too off roadie with spoked, tubed wheels with a 21" front. I dont go off road, so there's no point putting up with that for road only riding.
If they brought out a more dual sport version with 17/19 alloy wheels, then i could have been interested. Triumph did 2 versions with their Tiger 800, so i dont see why Honda couldn't have done.
they may well bring out what you want, but not at the same time - they have built such a hype about the new AT they don't want to distract it with a sideshow. Once the initial sales spike has tapered off they will do like Yamaha has done with the C3 engine, make more touring focused bikes using the same engine. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'm looking forward to test riding the new @ as well, just to see what its like.... Although i've no intention of ever buying one. Its too off roadie with spoked, tubed wheels with a 21" front. I dont go off road, so there's no point putting up with that for road only riding.
they may well bring out what you want, but not at the same time - they have built such a hype about the new AT they don't want to distract it with a sideshow. Once the initial sales spike has tapered off they will do like Yamaha has done with the C3 engine, make more touring focused bikes using the same engine. 
Yup, possibly they will. I wouldn't want to change bikes yet anyway, i'm really happy with my Tracer still and its a perfect bike for me currently. I reckon a lot of AT's that will be sold in the UK wont ever go off road...... and a lot of the ones that do, will only be on the sort of light off road that could be done with any bike.

Archived