Africa Twin CRF1000L

db5304

• Premium Member
A tool for every job... I don't understand why make a comparison with the AT to the FJ09. The FJ09 is a budget Sport weekend tourer and not an adventure bike. If I wanted a budget adventure bike I would have bought a KTM 650. JMHO. If I want to play in the dirt I have my Ural Gear- Up. Now that's fun!
How reliable is the Ural? I have been looking for another bike with a sidecar to add to the garage. I like the 2wd ones.
Ural's are maintenance frequent but very simple to work on. Good years to look at are 2007 through 2013 for carbed ones. In 2014 Ural became Fuel injected and disk brakes all around. the 2wd feature is a locked differential. It is like an old pick up truck. You don't leave the 2wd on on hard pavement. That will damage the final drive. 2WD is when you see a problem like deep mud or snow up ahead, engage the 2wd. get through the problem, and disengage it. Urals have a gear driven reverse as well. Four forward speeds and a reverse.The spare tire on the 2014's and up is a temporary tire up to 50mph. The older spare are drum, have no speed restriction,and can very easily go on the pusher and sidecar. The front on 2002 and up is a disk brake. Personally, I like carbed because I can tinker with those and the drum wheels are super simple. The sweet speed is 40 to 60 mph. It's not a highway cruiser and believe me, it's not a Honda in the way of reliability. Urals are a blast and they get allot of attention. They are not for the shy type. If your interested there are used ones out there under ten grand U.S. "Soviet Steeds" is a good website to check out and ask questions. Also, you drive a sidecar. There is no counter steering unless your, "Flyin' the chair" Lifting the sidecar. You drive a sidecar rig like a Jocky on a horse. You shift your weight in the turns. It takes practice and some put counter weight in the sidecar while they learn. I didn't.  Lots of videos out there on You tube.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not agree that the Tracer is a weekend tourer. It is a very competent, long distance tourer. There is a chap in the Facebook Tracer group who is currently in Albania. He has travelled through countries from the Baltic to the Black Sea and is now working his way along the Mediterranean. I have completed a couple of 10 day trips on the Tracer and it is every bit as competent as my R1150GS or Super Tenere were at the job - a bit better on fast highways but not so compliant on nadgery mountain passes. 

Me neither. Did 3k a couple months ago and heading out for 2k more miles in a couple weeks. Not RTW but a fair decent run. 
I have had the FJ on mountain goat trails. For reference I just sold a 2012 DL650 and a 2013 WR250R. The bike was obviously not meant for that crap but it did it anyways. I live in the Nortwest and sometimes your perfectly reasonable gravel road turns crazy hanging on a cliff very quickly :)

And is true it's not a long distance tourer in the traditional sense of a bike that will give you a comfortable ride and be huge and boring when you get there. It's a bit buzzy and light but will put down some serious miles with a bit of effort. Thing is when I get there I have an FJ09 instead of a huge , boring bike :0

End of August when I am riding the mountain twisties for a few hundred miles I wont be thinking of the six hundred flat, straight miles I rode to get there. I'll just be smiling.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

How reliable is the Ural? I have been looking for another bike with a sidecar to add to the garage. I like the 2wd ones.
Ural's are maintenance frequent but very simple to work on. Good years to look at are 2007 through 2013 for carbed ones. In 2014 Ural became Fuel injected and disk brakes all around. the 2wd feature is a locked differential. It is like an old pick up truck. You don't leave the 2wd on on hard pavement. That will damage the final drive. 2WD is when you see a problem like deep mud or snow up ahead, engage the 2wd. get through the problem, and disengage it. Urals have a gear driven reverse as well. Four forward speeds and a reverse.The spare tire on the 2014's and up is a temporary tire up to 50mph. The older spare are drum, have no speed restriction,and can very easily go on the pusher and sidecar. The front on 2002 and up is a disk brake. Personally, I like carbed because I can tinker with those and the drum wheels are super simple. The sweet speed is 40 to 60 mph. It's not a highway cruiser and believe me, it's not a Honda in the way of reliability. Urals are a blast and they get allot of attention. They are not for the shy type. If your interested there are used ones out there under ten grand U.S. "Soviet Steeds" is a good website to check out and ask questions. Also, you drive a sidecar. There is no counter steering unless your, "Flyin' the chair" Lifting the sidecar. You drive a sidecar rig like a Jocky on a horse. You shift your weight in the turns. It takes practice and some put counter weight in the sidecar while they learn. I didn't.  Lots of videos out there on You tube.

Cool thanks for all the info.

Archived