Rode my FJ home

chrisbryan

After much thought and deliberation, I was able to throw a leg over the FJ and take it for a 15 mile ride. It was a gray demo unit that the dealer wanted to move, so I decided to buy it and ride it home. They installed heated grips and had the saddle bags and mounts, but I opted to not get the bags. I think I'd rather get a top case that could double as a back rest for my wife is she wants to go for a ride. (suggestions on the best top case are appreciated). This morning I took it for a nice little 75 mile ride. I love it. I think the first change I'm going to make will be a more comfortable seat. I'm thinkning about the Corbin, but am open to any other suggestions. I also noticed a slight vibration in the bar. I'll have to look up some posts about how to remedy this situation. Are there any other "must-do" updates? I think I'd like to do something to help stiffen up the forks. 
Thanks to everyone that welcomed me in my first post and wrote suggestions. I'm looking forward to putting lots of miles on the bike.

Welcome to the forum.  I'd be curious in your OTD on a demo, there is a thread dedicated to that in general I believe.  Corbin seat is likely the most comfortable based on feedback, but also likely the priciest.  There is an option with a pillion backrest I think as well as a main rider backrest and heated options.  

For the topcase, I would not recommend the sh39, especially if your not getting side cases right away.  I'm a bit bummed I didn't spend more and get a 45 or bigger.  I think the build quality in the locking mechanism is better on the bigger ones as well as the ability to hold 2 full faces.  I also have the sh36 side cases and pre-ordered them.  Good quality and I like them, but don't use them a lot.  Also Shad support in the US was terrible.  I got the run around for months and most of the time no responses, chats ended early, or hung up on the phone.  If the product is in stock though you are likely in better luck.  My preference would have been the unpainted fjr bags with stock mounting brackets, but they discontinued just after I ordered through dealer.  

For your vibrations, it is normal around 4.5k RPM, but it is only slight.  You might want to check the bar ends and ensure they are tightly secured. Maybe check the bar clamps as well to ensure they are tight.  I think most complaints I have seen about vibrations people have been able to solve.  I've never experienced a noticeable issue.  I did put heated grips on and tightened the bars myself shortly after getting the bike, so I know mine have been secure most the time.  

For Fork, ensure you have adjusted them all the way if needed (mine came very very soft).  

Must-do updates, windscreen only if it bothers you (I went with Ermaxx touring).  Mirror Extenders (I still have yet to do this), Ram mount, frame sliders/crash bars. 

Welcome to the forum.  I'd be curious in your OTD on a demo, there is a thread dedicated to that in general I believe.  Corbin seat is likely the most comfortable based on feedback, but also likely the priciest.  There is an option with a pillion backrest I think as well as a main rider backrest and heated options.   
For the topcase, I would not recommend the sh39, especially if your not getting side cases right away.  I'm a bit bummed I didn't spend more and get a 45 or bigger.  I think the build quality in the locking mechanism is better on the bigger ones as well as the ability to hold 2 full faces.  I also have the sh36 side cases and pre-ordered them.  Good quality and I like them, but don't use them a lot.  Also Shad support in the US was terrible.  I got the run around for months and most of the time no responses, chats ended early, or hung up on the phone.  If the product is in stock though you are likely in better luck.  My preference would have been the unpainted fjr bags with stock mounting brackets, but they discontinued just after I ordered through dealer.  

For your vibrations, it is normal around 4.5k RPM, but it is only slight.  You might want to check the bar ends and ensure they are tightly secured. Maybe check the bar clamps as well to ensure they are tight.  I think most complaints I have seen about vibrations people have been able to solve.  I've never experienced a noticeable issue.  I did put heated grips on and tightened the bars myself shortly after getting the bike, so I know mine have been secure most the time.  

For Fork, ensure you have adjusted them all the way if needed (mine came very very soft).  

Must-do updates, windscreen only if it bothers you (I went with Ermaxx touring).  Mirror Extenders (I still have yet to do this), Ram mount, frame sliders/crash bars. 
First off, congrats and welcome to the OP.   

I'm with you on the FJR bags.  I found some used painted bags on ebay and I'm in the process of repainting them matte black.  Ok, Ok.  Full disclosure.  My buddy's in the middle of painting them matte black for me.   They are turning out really well.  We have them painted black, but didn't decide until after the paint had started to cure that we wanted to do a matte clear coat.  Now we have to make sure the paint is 100% dry and fully cured before we apply the clear coat.  That will likely happen next weekend.  Total cost is going to be significantly cheaper than buying the unpainted.  I still would have preferred the unpainted because the inevitable scratches would be less noticeable on an unpainted surface, but I cant complain about the cost savings.

I'm pretty happy with my Yamaha 50L top box with the back rest.  I had to buy it from Canada though as I couldn't find it anywhere in the states.  It is certainly nice having all the luggage keyed to the bike.  It seems pretty secure but comes off very quick and easy.  It makes it nice to load up all the bags in the house and just carry them out to the bike and slap them on.  With the FJR bags and the 50L top box, I can theoretically carry 4 helmets!  lol.

Archived