The danger with A mode !!!

So I have started to use my Tracer to commute into London. Usually I have to be there for 7am so the traffic is not too bad but recently the call times have been 8am or 9 so its been full on commuter traffic. When the traffic is that heavy I find that B mode is a Godsend and it makes riding much easier (especially in the rain)
But after a particularly late finish (1am) I thought as the roads were empty I would  have some fun and put the bike in A mode. Big mistake.
great fun honing around the empty streets but the camera I thought was a red light camera was either dual purpose or   I had it wrong
43 in a 30! doh
that'll teach me.

• Premium Member
Same here, in STD mode. 0-46 in the blink of an eye, pulling out of a side road in traffic. Camera van got me. 3 points to add to the other 3 plus £100 fine. I was looking forward to having a clean licence next June...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, for those who have speed cameras to deal with... how often do these cameras get vandalized? I'm a little surprised that it is not so common that they don't make sense as a revenue-collection device.
this is one of the reasons the UK has a lot of camera vans, as well as making them mobile to target particularly profitable locations - they put speed recorders (just 2 cables across the road connected to a black box) to identify hot spots for places to send the van. 
We used to have a lot of cameras on poles all over the place but the rural ones got vandalised and it was expensive to send someone to change the film. When the technology swapped to digital cameras sending pictures by the mobile phone network a lot of the rural locations were decommissioned in favour of vans. Part of this was that the public became very intolerant of static cameras and there are regulations now whereby the local authority has to provide evidence that the law is being breached frequently. 

Static cameras are still used in urban areas, either to catch people running red lights, speeding or using bus lanes. These will be monitored by CCTV so people are less likely to target them. The UK is not quite a police state but some have the view that the monitoring we are subjected is unduly intrusive. Fortunately Blair got found out and his creeping surveillance policies were put on hold. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

My offence was in Lewisham - south east London. The cameras are very sneakily placed at the junction so I thought they were red light cameras but they have the dashes so they are speed cameras (maybe they are dual purpose)
Interestingly on the A20 (a major route into London) they have just fitted 4 new speed cameras in a 3 mile stretch. these cameras are very high so almost impossible to vandalise. 2 of them have replaced cameras that were removed about 5 years ago!

on my commute from central London to home which about 40 miles I reckon I went through about 20 cameras. but of that 40 miles 15 miles was motorway and 8miles was country roads.

I live in Maryland near Baltimore. There is a fair amount of vandalism to speed camera's. The vandalism is usually in the form of paint on the lenses or something similar. The cost to clean up the camera is small compared to the huge revenue they generate. If people actually destroyed them the replacement cost might make them a less desirable revenue generator. There was a high profile incident where a guy took a hammer and shotgun to a mobile speed camera van.

Archived