new member in NorCal

ericm

I got a test ride on an FJ-09 last week and liked it.  It would replace a 2007 BMW R1200GS.  But dealers, even the one I test rode at, don't seem to want to return my emails.  WTF?  It's 2015.  The last car I bought, in 2008, I made the entire deal via email. I just showed up to sign the paperwork and get the car.

Previous motorcycles have included
R1200GS
R1150GS
Ducati E900 Elefant
Scorpa SY250 trials (French bike with Yamaha two stroke engine)
Montesa Cota 348 trials
Yamaha 250 trials
Beta 250 trials x2
Yamaha RZ500
Yama RZ350 x3
Maico 250 mx and 440 enduro
Yamaha Seca 750
Yamaha XS750
Triumph 650 Bonnie

• Premium Member
I got a test ride on an FJ-09 last week and liked it.  It would replace a 2007 BMW R1200GS.  But dealers, even the one I test rode at, don't seem to want to return my emails.  WTF?  It's 2015.  The last car I bought, in 2008, I made the entire deal via email. I just showed up to sign the paperwork and get the car.
This depends on the dealer.  When I bought my FJ I sent out email messages asking for quotes, then worked out final deal details by email, and just showed up with money and the old bike for trade-in. 
Dealers who didn't respond weren't even in the running for the sale.  I don't have the time or inclination to drive all over kingdom come talking to sales droids, TYVM.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I got mine at GP Sports in Santa Clara for their asking price of $9499 + fees. This was cheaper than Berkeley or Hayward. The salesperson was nice, but didn't really add much to the experience since I already knew what I wanted.

GP at least is not like a BMW dealer. Don't expect a huge amount of high-touch or value-add!

And I may never be back there, since I have the awesomest independent garage ever that I can take my bike to. (Tokyo Moto in SF, if you are interested!)

• Premium Member
I couldn't get them to email me either, they all called me even after I requested email. I ended up getting mine at PCP in Sacramento for $9299 and it was a good experience. I wont ever buy from East Bay because of past experience with them even if it is a lot closer. I believe there are many dealer's that have the same bike's but its how you are treated during the buying experience.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09

2015 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail

2015 Polaris Rzr Xp1000

I finally got email back from East Bay but I'd already made a deal with GP. They're a lot closer to me and gave me a test ride on an FJ-09, and a better deal than East Bay offered.
I had to call them though, email didn't work. Very laid back sales experience, which is ok with me.

Thanks for the reference to the shop in SF but I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. I do a lot of my own work as it's a hassle to take stuff in. I will miss BMW's loaner bikes for people getting service.
I'm looking forward to picking up my FJ-09 tomorrow.

Archived