Three wheel tracer/fj

• Premium Member
Dafuq?? Like brick said... Why?
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Looks "interesting".  If it is as functional as the smaller Piaggio's, it could be a blast!  But what I saw, the larger Piaggio (500cc?) was not as well liked as the smaller version.  So what would an 47cc be like???  The idea of motorcycle dynamics without the liabilities of a single track vehicle appeals to me.  But definitely a wait and see what it's really like.

That looks sick 8-)[span id=transmark][/span] !

It's not surprising that they are at least thinking about it. 3wheelers are quickly gaining on popularity and sales, at least in Europe. There are more and more people that would like the feel and thrill of riding the motorcycle on one hand, but do not have the motorcycle driving license (you can ride them with car driving license) or they are afraid of falling over, so they want more secure feeling on the other hand.

With this you would probably get the closest to the real bike riding felling. Till now there were only 3 wheel scooters. So this would definitely be an interesting machine.

But I am not swapping my FJ for one :) .

(you can ride them with car driving license)
Not in my state. A motorcycle is basically considered anything with 2 or 3 wheels. I think that's true across the US, although specific licensing varies by state for trikes. The Elios 3 wheeled car, with all the controls and stability of a car still requires a motorcycle license since it only has 3 wheels. Indiana doesn't have any helmet laws if you have your endorsement, so you at least aren't required to wear a helmet, but for states that do have the law it is unclear if you still are required to wear a helmet in that car. If I'm not mistaken, some states have exemptions for enclosed vehicles, while others don't. Again, it varies by state. They do give out motorcycle licenses here that are trike specific though, but you have to still complete a written motorcycle test and do a motorcycle driving test on a trike. If you complete the test on a trike, you are not licensed for 2 wheel motorcycle. If you complete the driving portion on a 2 wheel motorcycle, you are licensed for both 2 and 3 wheels in Indiana, but if I'm not mistaken, there are a few states that require a separate endorsement for trike. They argue that a 3 track vehicle is still different from a single track or double track.

That looks sick 8-)[span id=transmark][/span] ! 
It's not surprising that they are at least thinking about it. 3wheelers are quickly gaining on popularity and sales, at least in Europe. There are more and more people that would like the feel and thrill of riding the motorcycle on one hand, but do not have the motorcycle driving license (you can ride them with car driving license) or they are afraid of falling over, so they want more secure feeling on the other hand.

With this you would probably get the closest to the real bike riding felling. Till now there were only 3 wheel scooters. So this would definitely be an interesting machine.

But I am not swapping my FJ for one :) .

A motorcycle endorsement is required in all states in the U.S. with the exception of California and possibly one more for all vehicles 3 wheels or less and that includes both traditional trikes such as Goldwings and reverse trikes such as Can Am Spyders.  It would also apply to the Yamaha concept.  Spyders have become very popular in the U.S. and there are many in my neck of the woods.  They are not just for those people who have a disability.  There is nothing safer out there on 2 or 3 wheels than a Spyder - nothing.  I have owned 2 of them (RS and RT).  I now ride the FJ-09.  I had the Spyder because my wife would go 2 up on a Spyder ONLY.  She knows how safe it is.  When she cut way back on her riding time I went back to 2 wheels (FJ-09).  The FJ is my 3d Yamaha.  Bottomline - don't rule out reverse trikes.  The Spyder as well as this new Yamaha (if it's built) will be great rides - just different - very different. 

(you can ride them with car driving license)
Not in my state. A motorcycle is basically considered anything with 2 or 3 wheels. I think that's true across the US,
That's why I pointed out that they are getting more and more attention in Europe   ;)  .  I was able to try out Quadro 350d 3wheel scooter. It is a beet down on power, but still a fun toy. 
In my country and some other EU stats that I know (but I can’t say it’s true for all EU countries), reverse trikes like Piaggio MP3, Peugeot Metropolis, … regardless of engine cc, can be ridden with a normal car driving license as long as they have a foot operated brake, the width is big enough between the front wheels, and that the blinkers are at the correct place. From the video it seems, that MWT could meet all those 3 condition. So if that would be the case, it would probably be a big hit in EU.

But I can also see a big potential for MWT in countries that you would have to have a motorcycle driving license to drive it, like US. I would think there is quite a few people that would be persuaded by the added stability and safety of the revers 3wheel platform, to take it on, although they would not try a real motorbike. It can also be a great learning (and judging by the video also crazy fun) bike to get use to leaning in the corners for the beginners.
But I wonder what would the price be?  

All in all … I really hope to see the MWT on road soon. Maybe they will bring the concept to Milano Motro Show. I’ll snap some pictures, if I see it.

Not in my state. A motorcycle is basically considered anything with 2 or 3 wheels. I think that's true across the US,
That's why I pointed out that they are getting more and more attention in Europe   ;)  .  I was able to try out Quadro 350d 3wheel scooter. It is a beet down on power, but still a fun toy. 
In my country and some other EU stats that I know (but I can’t say it’s true for all EU countries), reverse trikes like Piaggio MP3, Peugeot Metropolis, … regardless of engine cc, can be ridden with a normal car driving license as long as they have a foot operated brake, the width is big enough between the front wheels, and that the blinkers are at the correct place. From the video it seems, that MWT could meet all those 3 condition. So if that would be the case, it would probably be a big hit in EU.

But I can also see a big potential for MWT in countries that you would have to have a motorcycle driving license to drive it, like US. I would think there is quite a few people that would be persuaded by the added stability and safety of the revers 3wheel platform, to take it on, although they would not try a real motorbike. It can also be a great learning (and judging by the video also crazy fun) bike to get use to leaning in the corners for the beginners.
agreed.

Not in my state. A motorcycle is basically considered anything with 2 or 3 wheels. I think that's true across the US, although specific licensing varies by state for trikes. The Elios 3 wheeled car, with all the controls and stability of a car still requires a motorcycle license since it only has 3 wheels. Indiana doesn't have any helmet laws if you have your endorsement, so you at least aren't required to wear a helmet, but for states that do have the law it is unclear if you still are required to wear a helmet in that car. If I'm not mistaken, some states have exemptions for enclosed vehicles, while others don't. Again, it varies by state. They do give out motorcycle licenses here that are trike specific though, but you have to still complete a written motorcycle test and do a motorcycle driving test on a trike. If you complete the test on a trike, you are not licensed for 2 wheel motorcycle. If you complete the driving portion on a 2 wheel motorcycle, you are licensed for both 2 and 3 wheels in Indiana, but if I'm not mistaken, there are a few states that require a separate endorsement for trike. They argue that a 3 track vehicle is still different from a single track or double track.
Exemptions for Elio in 45 of the 50 states last time I checked (and it's been awhile). Too bad the latest is that they've failed to raise money and have lost their planned mfg facility. 

that's frustrating. I hope they can figure something out. Seems to be the case with most automotive startups, failed before they even get started. Tesla has been a shocker to me. The one that disappointed me the most was Aptera. I loved that car.

Archived