How many Yamahas have you owned?

BVEBRAD

I had 2 ! An 1984 FJ600
and a 2015 FJ09 !
While rethinking about my old 1984 FJ600, and comparing to my new 2015 FJ-09... 
- The brakes were too weak to make tires skid, so this is exactly like having ABS...
- It was totally impossible to do a wheelie, so this also is exactly like having traction control...
- The fuel capacity was 21.5 liters, (vs 18 liters for the FJ09)
- My FJ600 was reaching > 200 kph without any wobble drama. (Not my FJ-09 ! DOH !)
- The seating position was very similar, but the windscreen protected better and produced no annoying turbulences...

So, after 31 years of evolution what more did I get ?

Heated grips, twitchy throttle response, and a fuel gage... ;)

On another note, does having Yamaha Keyboards and Pianos counts ? :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.....2015 FJ-09 
12 so far but none currently. Still hoping Yamaha puts the R1 motor in a sport touring rig with all the gadgets.
Rid of your 2015 FJ-09 already?
Yep, sold it after riding it for 2 months and 2400 miles. It was too uncomfortable to me. The footpegs were the primary reason as they are too far rearward for my taste.

I picked up a BMW S1000XR (my first BMW motorcycle) that is twice as expensive but more than twice as good. 

I agree if it's uncomfortable to ride fix the problem, or move on to something else. Moving pegs forward probably isn't the easiest thing to change.
Nice choice BTW I like BMW motorcycles, currently have a 14 GSA, and look at the S1000XR as a FJ-09 on steroids. I've not ridden an S100XR but I'm sure in addition to power its suspension is more compliant than the FJ-09. 

'77 RD400 Scary, but fun! Learned all about new pistons, cylinder honing and jetting. :P

'88 FZR1000  Dream bike that I ended up hating.  Not at all comfortable on the street, and horrible high frequency vibrations.

I always wanted an FJ1200, but never got around to it.  Liked the FJR and Tenere, but never enough to pull the trigger.

'15 FJ9 - Perfection!  26 years since my last Yamaha, but I love it!

• Premium Member
'88 FZR1000  Dream bike that I ended up hating.  Not at all comfortable on the street, and horrible high frequency vibrations.

That's how my '87 FZR750 was. It was basically the same bike as your FZR1000 but with less horsepower and more expensive insurance. I never hated it, but I quickly realized it was the wrong bike for my needs.

Five Yamahas in 50 years:
1965 YA 125 - My first bike, purchased in 1965.  Two stroke single road bike.  The chain was enclosed in a cover.  Yamaha Autolube system which automatically injected oil into the fuel so no messy mixing.
1966 YM1 - 305cc two stroke twin road bike.  Fast for its time.  They made them for two years then went to 350cc to chase the Hondas. 1973 CT3 Enduro - 175cc two stroke single on/off road bike.  A blast to ride through open fields, chasing rabbits and each other and trying our hands at hill climbing.  The most fun I ever had on a bike.
(the Honda and Triumph years....oops, sorry about that!)
1993 TDM 850 - Purchased new in 1993 and kept until 2015, when I bought....
2015 FJ09 - The most fun yet!!!

I had 2 ! An 1984 FJ600
and a 2015 FJ09 !
While rethinking about my old 1984 FJ600, and comparing to my new 2015 FJ-09... 
- The brakes were too weak to make tires skid, so this is exactly like having ABS...
- It was totally impossible to do a wheelie, so this also is exactly like having traction control...
- The fuel capacity was 21.5 liters, (vs 18 liters for the FJ09)
- My FJ600 was reaching > 200 kph without any wobble drama. (Not my FJ-09 ! DOH !)
- The seating position was very similar, but the windscreen protected better and produced no annoying turbulences...

So, after 31 years of evolution what more did I get ?

Heated grips, twitchy throttle response, and a fuel gage... ;)

On another note, does having Yamaha Keyboards and Pianos counts ? :)

Following that thought....my 1993 TDM 850 Yamaha had a very comfortable seat. On the FJ...a comfortable seat is an extra $300.  Oh wait, the "comfort seat" isn't comfortable either!

XS 250( dog. But did a bit of cash in hand dispatching around london on it.Enough said ) 
XT 600 TENERE ( great bike, loved the noise of that single cylinder exhaust thrumping away ) 
YZF 1000 THUNDERACE ( loved this bike, couldnt bear to watch as matey who brought it rode away on it ) 
FZS 600 FAZER ( original, boxeye version, got me back into bikes after a 9 year gap, would of kept her longer but the bloody TRACER came out, I had a bit of spare redundancy money left and I couldnt resist !!!! ) 
MT 09 TRACER ( fantastic bike and plan on keeping her long term ) 

Archived