A FJ-09 Trike in the Future?

redfjniner

MT-09 Trike unveiled at the Tokoyo Motorcycle show:

4097248.jpg

4097233.jpg

4097249.jpg  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

MT-09 Trike unveiled at the Tokoyo Motorcycle show: 

I saw that in a quick video at lunch, thought I was seeing double, guess not!

What's the purpose, double the tire contact up front? At least you can lean like a bike... looks like it wouldn't be cheap with double suspension up front. Weird....

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
The three wheelers are quite popular in Europe - Piaggio being the masters with the MP3 and their sister brand's Gilera Fuoco which is 500cc. I see an MP3 on my commute. Looks a good thing for commuting. Extra grip, no need to be able to reach the floor so great for shortarses or those with leg/foot problems. Not so sure a 115bhp version will be popular, though
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On the Yamaha EUR website there is a survey on the Trike. Some lucky (some might say unlucky) winner will also get a test ride. I volunteered myself. I have a feeling it will be too expensive. Interesting looking at the suspension though - two cartridges each side.

• Premium Member
On the Yamaha EUR website there is a survey on the Trike. Some lucky (some might say unlucky) winner will also get a test ride. I volunteered myself. I have a feeling it will be too expensive. Interesting looking at the suspension though - two cartridges each side.[span]    [/span][span]    [/span]

I have entered too
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 months later...
VisorDown.com is reporting that the MWT9 will be released as a 2017 model. I'm 79 and have been hoping for a reasonably priced, adequately powerful, three wheel leaner since the Carver (which wasn't reasonably priced). Having the added stability (safety) of a third wheel without giving up the best qualities of a motorcycle becomes more important as I age and lose strength, coordination and skill. Same for riders with many other disabilities, no matter their ages.

An added benefit for me and possibly others on the FJ forum, if Yamaha goes ahead with making the MWT9 a production model, we should be able to transfer accessories (like cruise control, saddlebags, etc.) to the MWT9. Not to mention an eased transition to the MWT9 from having experience riding and maintaining the FZ/FJ platform. BRING IT ON YAMAHA!

Link to Visordown article: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/yamaha-mwt-9-three-wheeler-bound-for-production/30875.html

VisorDown.com is reporting that the MWT9 will be released as a 2017 model. I'm 79 and have been hoping for a reasonably priced, adequately powerful, three wheel leaner since the Carver (which wasn't reasonably priced). Having the added stability (safety) of a third wheel without giving up the best qualities of a motorcycle becomes more important as I age and lose strength, coordination and skill. Same for riders with many other disabilities, no matter their ages.  
An added benefit for me and possibly others on the FJ forum, if Yamaha goes ahead with making the MWT9 a production model, we should be able to transfer accessories (like cruise control, saddlebags, etc.) to the MWT9. Not to mention an eased transition to the MWT9 from having experience riding and maintaining the FZ/FJ platform. BRING IT ON YAMAHA!

Link to Visordown article: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/yamaha-mwt-9-three-wheeler-bound-for-production/30875.html
Exactly! There are some people who need a trike for various reasons, so why not have an exciting option.

I like the 3 channel ABS.
I like the blacked out exhaust, and extended trim on the exhaust. (And the squared off tip.)
It needs to be red. LOL

I like the frame. (Would make doing a turbo really easy to plumb.)

Should come with cruise control, and traction control standard. Price will be higher, but I doubt they will give us forks with separate compression and rebound adjustment... LOL

I'd be interested in one as my next ride. The ability to just leave it standing up is cool, ditch the kickstand, but they need to add the center stand for easy chain and rear wheel service. (As well as putting up the bike up so it will not fall over, or move when parked.)

I like the 3 channel ABS. I like the blacked out exhaust, and extended trim on the exhaust. (And the squared off tip.)
It needs to be red. LOL

I like the frame. (Would make doing a turbo really easy to plumb.)

Should come with cruise control, and traction control standard. Price will be higher, but I doubt they will give us forks with separate compression and rebound adjustment... LOL

I'd be interested in one as my next ride. The ability to just leave it standing up is cool, ditch the kickstand, but they need to add the center stand for easy chain and rear wheel service. (As well as putting up the bike up so it will not fall over, or move when parked.)
I like the frame too - at least I like seeing the frame, engine and other working parts; a visible "motor" is part of what makes a motorcycle (and not seeing it is what makes me think " scooter").  TC will almost certainly be standard, as it is for the members of the FZ9 family (FJ-09, XSR9).  As for cruise,  adjustable suspension and other electronic amenities, Yamaha's other variants of the FZ9 platform have kept to Yamaha's high tech/low price marketing model, so maybe the MWT9 will have other surprises to offer. 
As for keeping the trike upright, the usual practice for "leaners" is to have a manually operated front suspension lock to hold it upright when stopped.  On the Aprilia MP3 (probably others), the lock disengages when the vehicle moves forward (may be speed dependent) allowing it to lean normally.  Hopefully, Yamaha made the locking function fully automatic on the MWT9. 

Archived