Have FZ-07 thinking FJ-09, input needed

fitrider82

Hi all,

as as the title states, I currently have an FZ-07 and it's been a great bike. I've put about 4300 miles on it in 4 months and it's starting to get a little boring. I would like to ride to the U.P. (Michigan) comfortably (and with more power) and the FZ won't allow me to do so. 

Im 5"7 and was wondering how you think I'd fit on the bike? I imagine I'll be tip-toeing which is okay as I ride a CRF450R as well that's a bit tall for me but I manage just fine. There aren't any stealers hips in SE Michigan with an FJ in stock to sit on. 

I've been considering buying an Fz-09 and "touring it out" but the FJ just seems like an all around better bike for the money. 
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

I am 6'1" and flat foot the bike with the seat in the high position. I wouldn't mind the seat a little higher to be quite honest. There are people as short as 5'4" that I've heard of riding the FJ. A quick google search returns your CRF450R has a seat height of 37.5" and the FJ's seat height is 33.3"-33.9" depending on if it's in the low or high position. That being said, the CRF450R weights 243 lbs and the FJ weighs 465 lbs not to mention gear for a U.P. trip. That being said, the FJ is by no means a heavy bike. Really the only way you are going to know if you fit, is to sit on it and try it. My guess is you'll be fine since you are already used to a tall bike.

Hi all, 
as as the title states, I currently have an FZ-07 and it's been a great bike. I've put about 4300 miles on it in 4 months and it's starting to get a little boring. I would like to ride to the U.P. (Michigan) comfortably (and with more power) and the FZ won't allow me to do so. 

Im 5"7 and was wondering how you think I'd fit on the bike? I imagine I'll be tip-toeing which is okay as I ride a CRF450R as well that's a bit tall for me but I manage just fine. There aren't any stealers hips in SE Michigan with an FJ in stock to sit on. 

I've been considering buying an Fz-09 and "touring it out" but the FJ just seems like an all around better bike for the money. 
How "SE MI" are you.  I bought my FJ at Honda East in Maumee, OH, on the South side of Toledo.   They were recently offering a better deal than I got last January.  Last I saw, they still had one in stock. 
I'm guessing that if you enjoyed the -07, the -09 will be that much better.  I had an FZ-09 and am greatly enjoying the FJ.  I'm 6' w/ 32" inseam.  The CP3 triple is just "intoxicating".   That motor offers an incredible blend of V-twin torque with inline 4 HP.

From what I've read, the FZ-07 most certainly "could" do the UP trip, but I more than understand your thought that it has become "boring".  For some, I suspect the FZ/FJ-09 triple could become that way as well.  But they would be incredibly jaded. 8-).

• 4 months later...
Wow I completely forgot I started this thread, thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I actually bought an FJ on eBay 2 nights ago and will be driving to Kentucky on Tuesday 3/15 to pick her up. $7600 with 213 miles, I'd say a good deal. Can't wait for the upgrade!

Mike
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

Wow I completely forgot I started this thread, thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I actually bought an FJ on eBay 2 nights ago and will be driving to Kentucky on Tuesday 3/15 to pick her up. $7600 with 213 miles, I'd say a good deal. Can't wait for the upgrade! 
Mike
congrats!

Archived