Virginia

tehnoah

Anyone do the Dragon's Back on Rte 33, just west of the BRP, yet?
Great idea for Virginia to get in on North Carolina's Tail of the Dragon moto-tourism action! 
http://www.virginia.org/listings/OutdoorsAndSports/BackoftheDragon/

Haven't been out that way yet, anyone have a ride report? I hear the terrain is very different from Tail of the Dragon, i.e., less banked corners, lots of guard rail. 

CafeRacer, I'll try to do it next weekend. To hit it from NOVA on 66 cut thru Gainesville 15 south and take 211 across to  I81 down to exit 72, I77, near Blacksburg, to 614, to 16 in Tazewell.  16 is the Dragon's Back. For you, I64 west to I 81 to I77, 614 to 16. It's almost 400 one way. 

Just got back; rode Skyline from Front Royal down to the BRP past 64 and cut west to 81 in Augusta County. About 400, starting in NOVA to Front Royal and return to NOVA. 150 of those miles on 66 to/from NOVA&Front Royal on 66. 10 great hours, including lunch and a fill up. 44.4 mpg, including I 81 & I66. Heavy LEO presence on I66 again.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

CafeRacer, I'll try to do it next weekend. To hit it from NOVA on 66 cut thru Gainesville 15 south and take 211 across to  I81 down to exit 72, I77, near Blacksburg, to 614, to 16 in Tazewell.  16 is the Dragon's Back. For you, I64 west to I 81 to I77, 614 to 16. It's almost 400 one way.  
Just got back; rode Skyline from Front Royal down to the BRP past 64 and cut west to 81 in Augusta County. About 400, starting in NOVA to Front Royal and return to NOVA. 150 of those miles on 66 to/from NOVA&Front Royal on 66. 10 great hours, including lunch and a fill up. 44.4 mpg, including I 81 & I66. Heavy LEO presence on I66 again.
Glad you got to get out to the BRP, rain hampered most of my riding plans this weekend, although I did get out for a quick coffee run to Richmond on sat: 

21mzog5.jpg

Wow, dude. Did you not see my bike in the parking lot, like right next to where this picture was taken?

I was sitting in my friends apartment like 300 feet from right there, right across the canal, on Saturday. hahaha

Hey, Va riders!

Caferacer, myself, and some of our riding buddies are headed up to "bikes in the bottom" at Poe's Pub in downtown Richmond Sunday morning.

Anybody else think they might show up?

• Premium Member
What time y'all meet? I typically attend church on Sundays... but might attend after.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

What time y'all meet? I typically attend church on Sundays... but might attend after.
Last time we left NN a little after 8. Taking the long way I think we were at Poe's around 10:30/11:00AM. We hung out and ate brunch for maybe an hour, then rolled out.

If you saw a Grey FJ09 on I95 between 123 and Ashland on the 13th, it was me... Down & Back trip to drop off paperwork. Got rained on at Occoquan, blow dried on the way down.

2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Okay Virginia riders - leaving from Front Royal at 10 am tomorrow to run the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and hang out at Hunt's. Currently riding with one other biker on a stage 2 103 Police HD.

I am not a Virginia rider but I am down here in Lynchburg right now for work and I will say that you all have some beautiful countryside and roads to ride down here; this whole time all I have been thinking is that I wish I had my FJ to drive instead of a Hyundia Santa Fe rental. I am really surprised that I have not seen more bikes since I have been down here....I will definitely be back but next time on a bike!!

dvinny13, yes VA has some great roads, maybe you don't see many bikes because this state differs vastly from rural areas near where you are, where you probably see a few cruisers, to where I am in Hampton Roads, a lot of military and govt. so loads of sports and cruiser bikes, to Richmond where they have a large retro/cafe and adventure scene, to Northern Virginia (suburbs of D.C.) where people don't really have time to ride.

Let us know when you return with the FJ!