Garmin Zumo wiring route and connection

• Premium Member
I purchased a new Zumo 660-LM last week at really good price. (I thought so anyway). I will be using the ram mount ball with the left handlebar bolt. I was wondering the best way to route to the battery and connect so it is on when the key is on or in acc. I have both left and right dc outlets up front but it looks like it's you have to use the cradle and wiring harness that came with the 660. Thanks.

Jon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I connected a male plug on the end of my Zumo lead - a nice one with a red LED - readily available on ebay LINK - just solder the leads together and use a bit of heat shrink or self-amalgamating tape. 

I have also fitted another 12V socket on my bars with a 5V USB socket to charge my phone LINK

If you really want to hide the lead then you can use one of the fly leads used for accessories under the screen subframe.

Personally, I prefer to have it so I can remove the satnav hardware when not needed - I only use it if going somewhere specific where I don't know the way. That way the cradle on my Zumo (it's the less robust 590 one) doesn't get exposed to the winter weather when on local rides. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Personally, I prefer to have it so I can remove the satnav hardware when not needed - I only use it if going somewhere specific where I don't know the way. That way the cradle on my Zumo (it's the less robust 590 one) doesn't get exposed to the winter weather when on local rides. 
Yes, the 660 has a plate that snaps on when not using the GPS and is very tight to protect from the weather. I installed the cradle and harness on my F6B and ordered another one for the FJ so I can just move the Zumo from bike to bike. It's been a fun little toy so far.  
Jon

• Premium Member
the 660 has a plate that snaps on when not using the GPS and is very tight to protect from the weather. I installed the cradle and harness on my F6B and ordered another one for the FJ so I can just move the Zumo from bike to bike. It's been a fun little toy so far.

So that's what that plate is! I puzzled over that when I got the 660, but then got distracted by shiny shiny and forgot about it.

I had been planning to put a plastic bag over the mount while commuting this winter and now I have a much better solution. Thanks!

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I have been eyeballing the 390LM for some time now. I have a 2,000 mile trip to Yosemite in 2 weeks and would really enjoy having it for the trip. But ugh...I don't know if I want to spend the money! Especially when I want an exhaust too! haha

• Premium Member
I find it very useful as a tool for understanding when I should be thinking about gas.
The "you need to refuel" warning is indeed a very nice feature if you have a bike without a gas gauge.  I used that a lot on my old Daytona, whose trip odometer was insanely hard to reset with gloves on so I was constantly not doing it and trying to calculate range in my head, not always reliable at the end of a long day. 
I turned off the gas mileage when I got the FJ, though.  The fuel gauge works well enough, the miles-since-reserve is really useful (no more "how long did it take me to notice the low fuel light?" worries), and it's a snap to reset the odo even while moving with gloves on.  The Garmin feature is kind of redundant.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased a new Zumo 660-LM last week at really good price. (I thought so anyway). I will be using the ram mount ball with the left handlebar bolt. I was wondering the best way to route to the battery and connect so it is on when the key is on or in acc. I have both left and right dc outlets up front but it looks like it's you have to use the cradle and wiring harness that came with the 660. Thanks.
I had my wrench hardwire my Zumo 660, everything tucked away and still leaves outlet available.

• Premium Member
Just my $.02 worth... You are asking/wanting to hook you Garmin up switched. You realize that every time you get gas or for any reason turn off the bike the Garmin will have to reboot each time. This gets to be a PIA after a while.
I usually add an FZ1 Fuse box for all my accessories. You then wire everything through it. You have the option to make it switched or not just by moving the fuse.
My Garmin is always hot. Yes I have to turn it off/on but I don't have to reboot at every gas stop. It also allows you to share/show the route with riding buddies without turning the key on.
YMMV!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Just my $.02 worth... You are asking/wanting to hook you Garmin up switched. You realize that every time you get gas or for any reason turn off the bike the Garmin will have to reboot each time. This gets to be a PIA after a while. I usually add an FZ1 Fuse box for all my accessories. You then wire everything through it. You have the option to make it switched or not just by moving the fuse.
My Garmin is always hot. Yes I have to turn it off/on but I don't have to reboot at every gas stop. It also allows you to share/show the route with riding buddies without turning the key on.
YMMV!
My 2610 needed bike power but my new Zumo 390 has a battery so can stay on if the bike is switched off. When the bike power goes off you get a pop-up asking you if you want the Zumo to go into standby.

As my RAM mount is not secure I tend to put my Zumo in my pocket when refuelling or going for coffee. Then I can fiddle with it using battery power around the coffee table. 

Much better now I have upgraded to a 21st century machine...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I had my wrench hardwire my Zumo 660, everything tucked away and still leaves outlet available.
 I got it installed hardwired into the right outlet connector, leaving the left. Looks great and works great.  
Jon

• Premium Member
Just my $.02 worth... You are asking/wanting to hook you Garmin up switched. You realize that every time you get gas or for any reason turn off the bike the Garmin will have to reboot each time. This gets to be a PIA after a while. I usually add an FZ1 Fuse box for all my accessories. You then wire everything through it. You have the option to make it switched or not just by moving the fuse.
YMMV!
My 2610 needed bike power but my new Zumo 390 has a battery so can stay on if the bike is switched off. When the bike power goes off you get a pop-up asking you if you want the Zumo to go into standby. 
As my RAM mount is not secure I tend to put my Zumo in my pocket when refuelling or going for coffee. Then I can fiddle with it using battery power around the coffee table. 

Much better now I have upgraded to a 21st century machine...
Yep, when bike power is removed my 660 ask asks if you want it to remain on.  
Jon

I hardwired mine straight to the battery, took about 10 minutes to cleanly route the cables.
I mounted the satnav above the clocks using a little ingenuity for my given circumstance (with a Givi touring screen and support bracket) saves taking the eyes too far off the road.

Archived