Garmin Zumo wiring route and connection

• Premium Member
These are the empty connectors that are on/off with the key. 
Hi @smiley I have the same GPS, Garmin 669, finally, which conexion has you  used? white? black? "yellowW?

Hi Dan77, I used the one in the right of your picture.(The yellow) I tested the the 2 on the left and they would work but I did not have connectors.  
Jon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi @smiley I have the same GPS, Garmin 669, finally, which conexion has you  used? white? black? "yellowW?

Hi Dan77, I used the one in the right of your picture.(The yellow) I tested the the 2 on the left and they would work but I did not have connectors.
many thanks smiley for your answer.
Then I have an extra question, did you buy some connector to use the yellow one (the right of picture)? because we have just two cables in GPS:

e7mkoj.jpg

many thanks.

FWIW I think it would take quite a while for it to drain the battery. I had a GPS hardwired to my CBR500R battery and let it sit for over an hour, mistakenly forgetting to remove it, and the bike started fine. Normally any time I'd be letting my bike sit that long I'd take the GPS off to prevent it from being stolen anyway.

Anyway, good to hear that the wire can be routed from the battery without having to remove the tank. I need to do that this weekend. With the FJ I have been using a car GPS with the accessory power port, but I finally got a Zumo in preparation for a proper big trip so I need to use their battery cable.

• Premium Member
many thanks smiley for your answer. Then I have an extra question, did you buy some connector to use the yellow one (the right of picture)? because we have just two cables in GPS:

e7mkoj.jpg

many thanks.
I did not have the connector either. I cut the end off of the extra DC power outlet that I had installed and sliced it in. ( I really didn't need 2 anyway)  I have since ordered  extra connectors and will put an end back on the DC outlet when I get around to it. 
Jon

• 8 months later...
many thanks smiley for your answer. Then I have an extra question, did you buy some connector to use the yellow one (the right of picture)? because we have just two cables in GPS:

Dan, this is where I ordered the extra connectors from. 
http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html

Smiley, Dan,

Which exact connector (or set of connectors) did you end up buying? The page has a bunch of them and I am new to this stuff, so dont know which exact connector to use? I have a Garmin Zumo 590LM and it has 4 wires coming out of the GPS motorcycle mount, so have to also find a way to deal with the other wires which are of no use to me... 

Many thanks for your help guys!

Arvind.

• Premium Member
Dan, this is where I ordered the extra connectors from. 
http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html

Smiley, Dan,

Which exact connector (or set of connectors) did you end up buying? The page has a bunch of them and I am new to this stuff, so dont know which exact connector to use? I have a Garmin Zumo 590LM and it has 4 wires coming out of the GPS motorcycle mount, so have to also find a way to deal with the other wires which are of no use to me... 

Many thanks for your help guys!

Arvind.

IMG_8089.png
Jon

• Premium Member
Thanks Jon, 
Did you need all of the items in the screenshot for just the GPS install? Thanks!

Arvind.
You are welcome. I did not need all the items...figured I would just get some extras.  
Jon

Jon,

I'm a total noob when it comes to electricals... could you please specify what exact parts you got for the GPS Install only?

I'm also seeing a possibility to add LED aftermarket lights and was wondering what connectors to buy for those? I'm assuming that there are 3 open spots available - 2 for lights and 1 for the GPS (or the second cigarette plug) based on an image someone had posted in another thread.

Again, sincere thanks! :-)

Arvind.

Arvind, if you look at the picture in the last post on page 2 of this thread, you'll see two grey connectors. Yamaha has put the connectors you need, actually in the sockets already. The male part of the socket is already there, blanked off with two rubber grommets where the wires go in. Some people have had luck with simply pushing wires into the socket. I bought a similar looking socket and took the internal metal parts out and put them into the Yamaha socket when I wired in LED lights on th the handguards.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

Just wanted to provide a quick update.... I finally ended up direct wiring my GPS to the battery.... remove the panels on the right and was able to zip tie the bunch of cables (of the Zumo 590LM) tightly enough and place them along the right lower faux carbon fiber looking panel... tight fit but a decent fit.

I still might need to open up the windshield base to access and fit LED lights once I decide to get them! :-) the farkling never ends, does it?

Thanks to you guys for ideas and possibilities... this forum has a wealth of information and I'm glad to be a part of it!

Arvind

Archived