Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

Product offering

NOTE: please ask for a no-obligation quote as pricing has been adjusted a little bit since this post was initially made. (8/4/2016)

I use Paypal's invoice and payment services. Cash discount available.
Turn-around is approximately 3 business days or 1 weekend under ideal conditions but can extend up to 10 days.

Broadly speaking there are 4 main items:

[ol type=decimal][*]Upgrade/Fix the active leg & add compression adjustment[*]Activate the 'dead' leg w/ compression adjustment; adjustable fork cap option[*]Install aftermarket fork kit w/ optional reworking of internals[*]Other custom modification[/ol]

Component pricing (USD)

Fork Service labor
Fork Oil 18-21cSt@40, others on request
Oil Seals
Dust Seals
Sonic fork springs any standard rate (or mixed)
Other fork springs market
Yamaha fork cap from Ron Ayers. better price?
Matt's fork cap pair silver/silver or silver/blue
Shipping (CONUS) USPS ground. DIY varies
Piston credit (per leg) when substitute commercial piston kit
Racetech FMGV S2050C market (per leg) or similar
Cash payment USPS money order or tier-1 USA bank cashier's check. Save transaction fees

Fork Service labor applies to all except DIY kits. Oil and oil seals are likewise customary.

1: Upgrade/Fix 'active' leg - $60

Adjustable compression by removing axle or cross-drilling a small hole for screwdriver access as was done on early/mid-90's Ducati. Shim stack is properly scaled for combined spring rate. Suitable for routine street use.

[ul type=disc][*]Replace mid-valve (rebound) piston[*]Tailored shim stack on both pistons for usage, weight, and spring[*]Replace cartridge bolt with adjustable unit with integrated needle[*]Cartridge floor spacer[/ul]

2a: Activate 'dead' leg (2 piston) - $110

When combined with #1 you will have traditional 4-piston damping. The resurrected leg has externally adjustable compression per above. Rebound bleed is sized small to cooperate with active leg's adjuster. Intended for enthusiastic street and moderate track use. For more precise and convenient damping control, add adjustable fork cap.
[ul type=disc]
[*]Matt's high-flow compression and rebound pistons[*]2 piston bases[*]Tailored shim stack on both pistons for usage, weight, and spring[*]Replace cartridge bolt with adjustable unit with integrated needle[*]Cartridge floor spacer[*]Plug to block off extra holes in cartridge tube
[/ul]
2b: Activate 'dead' leg (1 piston) - $80

Rod-mounted piston operates in compression or rebound (preferred) orientation. Best when combined with an adjustable fork cap. If used in compression, the force curve will be steeper and more progressive than is ideal - such are the laws of fluids. I mitigate those effects by running a very light oil. Intended for normal street use or on non-bumpy tracks. 
[ul type=disc]
[*]Matt's high-flow mid-valve piston[*]1 piston base[*]Tailored shim stack on all 3 pistons for usage, weight, and spring[*]Plug to block off extra holes in cartridge tube
[/ul]
2c: Activate 'dead' leg (BPF style) - $TBD

Conceptually similar to #2b, but modifies both legs to remove the cartridge tubes entirely, put the springs in the bottom, and install a large piston on the end of the cartridge rod. All standard preload and damping adjustment is retained. Needs adjustable fork cap.
[ul]
[*]RaceTech(?) oversize pistons[*]piston base[*]Tailored shim stack on both pistons for usage, weight, and spring[*]Spring adapter
[/ul]
Option for #2: Adjustment at fork cap - $35 + cap

[ul][*]Adjustment rod[*]Needle with spring[*]machine cartridge rod[*]Yamaha OE (single) or Matt's (pair)[/ul]

3: Install aftermarket fork kit - $0-50+

Standard fork service labor charge applies when installing any of Andreani, Matris, Ohlins, or GP Suspension kits available thru retail channels. Possible further discount subject to MAP or other special manufacturer agreement. Optionally, disassemble and re-valve commercial offering to properly match usage, weight, and individual preference. Includes consultation of comparative damping curves as-delivered vs Forks-by-Matt's recommendation.

4: Other custom modifications - $quote

Things like extended-length fork cap to change rake/trail, bespoke internal modifications or swaps. Custom spacers or inserts, shorten.

Example scenarios reflect all-in price and include labor and return shipping.

Refresh - $200
125 (labor) + 15(oil) + 8(seals) + 2(shims) + 50(shipping)

Basic - $330
refresh + xx(springs) + 60(item 1)

Intermediate - $440
basic + 110(item 2a)

Simplified dual-piston w/ Yamaha cap - $550+
basic + 80(item 2b) - 25(base valve credit) + 50(est. cap retrofit) + 135(Yamaha cap)

This is similar to the Andreani configuration (just mid-valves dedicated to either compression or rebound) with the added benefits of retaining a single base valve. My high-flow pistons and valving with Yamaha OE cap provides visual balance and adjustments in each leg.

Advanced - $570+
basic + 110(item 2a) + 50(est. cap retrofit) + 100(Matt's caps)

Big-Piston 'lite' - $TBD
basic + ??(item 2c) + 50(est. cap retrofit) + 135(Yamaha cap)

Matt - Two questions:
1) Where are you located?
2) How does your "Basic" above compare to the Stoltech 14+ FZ-09 GP Suspension Fork Piston Kit. Obviously, your "Intermediate" goes another step by activating the left fork leg.

Thanks!

1) northern VA

2) Stoltec uses a different piston supplier, I do NOT include a custom rebound needle at this time (that will likely change shortly), and I custom-shim every set to match spring rate, rider weight, and usage/preference. I would expect Stoltec/GP Suspension would do that last as well, but their description leaves room for interpretation.

The biggest difference is that I provide compression adjustment. Additionally in 'Basic' I do all the work whereas Stoltec's offering is DIY. His is also cheaper in shipping because it's just 1-way, and a fraction of the weight (~5lb) at that. A set of forks weighs roughly 22lbs ready to ship.

330+(shipping to me) vs 265+DIY.

Thanks for the explanation, Matt. I have a local (southern WI) suspension shop that does my track bike suspension that would do the Stoltec piston kit along with springs and a custom shim stack in the FJ-09. Your offering is intriguing because of the compression adjustment and/or activation of the left fork. Got some thinkin' to do. Thanks.

So, when do you think you'll be adding the rebound needle to your offering??? :-)

Just as soon as I examine the OE geometry and see if there are any glaring faults. Needle adjustment is only really effective that first 2 turns or so.

If you want to see an "extreme" shallow taper, look at the ones on the Andreani. Lots of impingement but also each 1/4 turn is a very small change. If the setup is bang-on or you have a tuner on retainer, then you can get away with such a setup. For most street and casual racers, something coarse is more productive, IMO.

@foxedupone, yes I'm sure we can work something out WRT bring the bike by, sit on my couch while I do the work, and you riding away. I'm not super comfortable with that yet, though. The last one (FZ07 rider from Philly) didn't go so well.

Oh, you mean Mupo.it? Their 20mm valving kit doesn't look appreciably different than the GP Suspension/Stoltech offering. Do they have a US distributor/installer network?

If you're looking for an "easy", polished, commercial solution I think Matris does a nice job at a reasonable price point. That said, I consider my solution to be superior to Andreani/Matris/GP which make unfortunate performance tradeoffs (IMO) in the name of lower price, and very comparable to the AK20. The commercial outfits are better at bling than I am. I will readily concede the point. That's the upside of having millions in CNC equipment.

I can tell you guys that everyone on my forums who has done business with Pattonme has been very happy with his work, communication, shipping and their forks! This is a no brainer deal.

Hi Matt,
I'm very interested in the Intermediate setup you describe. Just curious what kind of turnaround time to expect from when you receive the forks? Thanks.

I don't anticipate any more business trips for a while and with holidays coming up I should be able to stick to the 3-5 business day range.