How old are you?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
66, I've had 8 bikes since a Suzi 350 when I was 20 and in the Army in TX.
65 here.  I also owned the 1970 Suzuki T350 II Rebel (in green) which, as I remember, was actually a 315cc. It was my second bike and lots of fun.  Loved those light and quick two-strokes.  You could pop the front wheel up in 1st and 2nd.  I sold it to someone who wanted to ride it to South America (this was in 1971).  He apparently got turned back at one of the borders because he was unwilling to pay a deposit (basically equal to the value of the bike) to prevent him from selling it there.  Given that this was his whole plan (he wanted to fly back on the difference in pricing there) he ended up driving it back.  I heard from a friend that saw the bike when it had >75K miles on it.  He could hear it coming a mile away (apparently no real upkeep had ever been done on the bike since he bought it from me).  Ah well... 
Small difference from that bike to the FJ right?   :)

49 here.
Have ridden since a teenager and younger.
KTM 630 EXCe for years, great bike.
2006 FZ1, fast red of course. Had to go with the divorce.
2014 FZ09. (Red with the black stripe.)Fun, but the cam chain tensioner failed, ate the slider and engine, traded it in for the current ride.
2015 FJ09, fastest red, with all the stuff I'd like the FZ09 to have added on. Better gauges. Windscreen and LED lamps that are worth having. (The FZ09's light is terrible.)

Funny thing, the tires on the FJ are better than the ones on the FZ. They don't slide on the tar strips, don't track groved highway concrete, don't make nearly as much noise, wear better so far and inspire pushing them more with a more comfortable ride. This is the first OEM tire I'd actually replace new again if the price was right to do it I'm that pleased. (Otherwise it's PR 4 GT's)

• Premium Member
I turned 66 yesterday. Riding for 52 years. Here are some of the bikes I have owned during that time (likely forgot a few):

1966 BSA Thunderbolt
1970 Kawasaki Bighorn 350
1970 Husqvarna 250 mx
1972 Suzuki RM250
1974 Honda CB750
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000
1993 Honda CBR900RR
1992 Ducati 851
1993 Honda CBR600F2
1990 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Honda SuperHawk
2001 KTM 640 Supermoto
1998 Honda XR650L
2003 Kawasaki KLR705
2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2009 KTM 690 Enduro R
2013 KTM 350 EXC-F
2015 Yamaha FJ-09

So far, customizations on the FJ-09 include:
Garmin 660 GPS
OEM Heated Grips
OEM 2nd 12v outlet
Shorai LiFe battery
Low profile Mazda drain plug mod
KTM Hand Guards
EcoTech radiator guard
Seat Concepts seat covers and foam
Graves TI & Carbon Fiber exhaust system
Graves air injection blockoff plates
JRI Double clicker shock (on order)
Forks by Matt fork upgrades (on order)
SW Motech Blaze saddlebags (on order)

The combination of the Shorai battery, KTM hand guards, Graves exhaust and replacement of the air injection crap with the blockoff plates probably lost 18-20 lbs, some of the other stuff is weight neutral, and some likely added a couple pounds.  So the bike is probably about 15lbs lighter than stock at this point.  

I turned 66 yesterday.   
The combination of the Shorai battery, KTM hand guards, Graves exhaust and replacement of the air injection crap with the blockoff plates probably lost 18-20 lbs, some of the other stuff is weight neutral, and some likely added a couple pounds.  So the bike is probably about 15lbs lighter than stock at this point.  
Welcome old guy with tons of experience, especially with many different rides.  Look forward to your posts and wisdom. 
By the way, how much do you weigh?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I turned 66 yesterday.   
Welcome old guy with tons of experience, especially with many different rides.  Look forward to your posts and wisdom. 
By the way, how much do you weigh?
Thanks.  There will be posts, not sure how much wisdom. 
Way too much, but I am working on it.  

BTW, I did not make any of the changes I have made for weight-saving, it is just a side benefit of those parts as compared to OEM stuff.  

If I wanted to reduce weight (other than from my big butt), I would choose lighter wheels.  Reduction in unsprung weight helps more than anywhere else.  Suspension tracks better, bike turns easier, engine spins up in gear faster, brakes work better, everything.  No downside to light wheels except the cost (and I doubt any good ones even exist for this bike).

age 63. For me bikes are about fun (mostly in the corners). Fj09 motor puts a grin on my face everytime but I would not want it as my only bike.

Wish they would build a more fully faired version with same motor and better brakes and suspension as an option if they need to. Sort of a mini fjr or even an f800gt.  I think it would sell well to those of getting to where we are less enamored of 600+ lb bikes.

And it might appeal to women of a wider age range for the same reason.

But I suppose neither of those markets are big enough to get much attention as compared to young males who I am guessing buy most of the bikes sold in the world.

Bottom line is fj09 is lots of grins per buck but I wish Yamaha could make money taking the components a little further up the food chain rather than having to try to keep the price down to $10k in such a competitive market.

the good news is the fz09 and fj09 are so popular that lots of information and aftermarket stuff is showing up that helps us improve whichever areas we want if we are willing to take the time trouble and expense.

66, I've had 8 bikes since a Suzi 350 when I was 20 and in the Army in TX.
65 here.  I also owned the 1970 Suzuki T350 II Rebel (in green) which, as I remember, was actually a 315cc. It was my second bike and lots of fun.  Loved those light and quick two-strokes.  You could pop the front wheel up in 1st and 2nd.  I sold it to someone who wanted to ride it to South America (this was in 1971).  He apparently got turned back at one of the borders because he was unwilling to pay a deposit (basically equal to the value of the bike) to prevent him from selling it there.  Given that this was his whole plan (he wanted to fly back on the difference in pricing there) he ended up driving it back.  I heard from a friend that saw the bike when it had >75K miles on it.  He could hear it coming a mile away (apparently no real upkeep had ever been done on the bike since he bought it from me).  Ah well... 
Small difference from that bike to the FJ right?   :)

As I mentioned, I was 20 and in the Army in TX in the early 70's, if I laid down on the tank and held it wide open on the flat TX highways I could get up 80.  Of course cars and trucks were flying by me, 80 wasn't nearly fast enough to keep up in those days.  I rode it down to Houston once and as I was entering a freeway one of the plugs fouled out.  I found a pop top (remember those?) on the side of the road and scraped the plug clean and rode it back to Mineral Wells.  Ah, the good ol' days, huh. 
The difference with the FJ is truly amazing when you think about it.  But it was simple to work on, a real plus.

Archived