How to use a magnetic tank bag on plastic tank

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
My project today is to add magnets under the forward plastic gas tank fairing so I can use my magnetic tank bag. The lower part of the tank is metal and the tank bag will be partially secure there, but I found it starts to fall down during spirited riding, thus the reason for this mod. I wrote this from memory after the job was completed, so please advise if I have any steps reversed or missed removing some fasteners.
Note: this modification was deemed a partial fail in a further post as the tank bag did not stay secure going fast.

Here we go:
1A. Trial fit your magnetic tank bag and use tape to outline were you will place the magnets.
1B. Remove the two allen screws holding the black cover.
20150118_095614_zps81021995.jpg

2. Remove the four quarter turn fasteners (2 each side) holding the black cover on, and remove the black cover.

20150118_095722_zps567fbe72.jpg

3. Remove the two screws holding the aft part of the red tank cover.

20150118_100701_zps160ff485.jpg

4A. Remove the forward lower fairing screw, one each side, and remove the red tank cover.

20150118_100753_zps177523ca.jpg

4B. Remove the two quarter turn fasteners (both sides) from the front of the lower fairings:

20150118_112754_zpsb6fdf784.jpg

5. Remove the aft lower fairing bolt (one each side), disconnect the electrical connector (1 each side), and pop off the lower fairing (plastic pin goes into rubber grommet).

20150118_112913_zps8190922e.jpg

6. Remove two allen screws and one nylon fastener, from both sides.

20150118_113046_zpsfab2987d.jpg

7. Get yourself some magnets and glue, I sourced from HomeDepot.

20150118_111002_zps8ea85941.jpg

8. Glue the magnets to the underside of the plastic pieces, I used six magnets each side.

20150118_114812_zpsb4e8ddb4.jpg

Let dry, and reverse the order to put it back together noting all the tabs and slots that need to re-engage, such as the lower fairings at the bottom each side, and the forward part of the upper black piece, both sides.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I've been using Tankbags on my FJR's that clip onto a gas cap ring.  Available from Twisted Throttle (Bags Connection).  I have used the two piece quick release gas cap set up on several different bags.  I cut a piece lexan or plexi-glass the exact dimensions of the inside of the bottom of the bag and attach it to the bag with plastic autobody clips.  I've heated the plexi with a torch and bent the plexi to match the slope of the tank.  I used 1/4" lexan on one occasion and two layers of 1/8" plexiglass laminated together with clear peal and stick plastic film on another occasion.

Works great and no scratching of the tank!
Good luck

• Premium Member
Pictures and installation steps added. It is nice that there are quick disconnect 1/4 turn fasteners.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

@ulewz the magnets don't touch the tank hey? Neat trick. Hope you got the polarity right ;)

I remember reading somewhere that you aren't supposed to use magnetic tank bags on matte finish tanks. Maybe I'm imagining that, I really can't remember where I heard it. If it's true, I guess grey owners can't do this anyway.

Pictures and installation steps added. It is nice that there are quick disconnect 1/4 turn fasteners.
Thanks for that how-to guide with pics! I'll be doing that 'mod' too. I really like my RKA tankbags. I have these two, I use the bigger one for multi-day rides:
http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/16M%20Build%20sheet/16M%20Build%20Sheet.htmlI have the older version of that one, without the extra little bag at the front:http://i.imgur.com/PogeR3U.jpg
The bigger bag:
http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/25m%20Build%20sheet/25M%20Build%20Sheet.htmlhttp://i.imgur.com/uMebtq2.jpg
They both work really well on the flat & level gas tank on my Street Triple R.
And yes, I can see the gauges over them! They seem higher/taller in pics.
The sloping 3-point Shiloh would be a better fit on the FJ-09's sloping gas tank:http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/19SR3%20Build%20sheet/193W%20Build%20Sheet.html
But I prefer the simpler attachment of mag bags.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Jan 22, 2015 22:17:38 GMT -8 b12ty said:
Or you can use a tail bag like me........

Jan 24, 2015 12:05:46 GMT -8 deersslayer said:
Makes it tough to read the directions in the map window. :D

That bag looks like a good fit on the FJ, nestles in nicely between the pillion grab bars!

That's what my GPS is for... ::)

Just a personal preference, I have never used a tank bag, I like it uncluttered in front of me.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
deersslayer Avatar Jan 24, 2015 12:05:46 GMT -8 deersslayer said:
b12ty Avatar
Jan 22, 2015 22:17:38 GMT -8 b12ty said:
Or you can use a tail bag like me........

Makes it tough to read the directions in the map window. :D

That bag looks like a good fit on the FJ, nestles in nicely between the pillion grab bars!

That's what my GPS is for... ::)

Just a personal preference, I have never used a tank bag, I like it uncluttered in front of me.

Ty

Have you bobbed the tail yet Ti? When are we going to ride?

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Pivoted the handlebar mounts today, got the tail assembly off. Will finish up tomorrow morning. 
I'm open to riding anywhere next weekend!

Ty
Break that thing in before we ride so there are no excuses. (rofl) 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 1 month later...
7. Get yourself some magnets and glue, I sourced from HomeDepot.

20150118_111002_zps8ea85941.jpg

8. Glue the magnets to the underside of the plastic pieces, I used six magnets each side.

20150118_114812_zpsb4e8ddb4.jpg

ULEWZ, did you research the compatibility of the glue & plastic?
A friend had glue in a similar project eventually eat right through the plastic. ???

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
The good news is the plastic is fine. The bad news is the project was a fail. My magnetic tank bag did not stay planted. See my Dryver QD thread for the real deal.It works perfect.
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

The good news is the plastic is fine. The bad news is the project was a fail. My magnetic tank bag did not stay planted. See my Dryver QD thread for the real deal.It works perfect.
Thanks for posting that, I didn't make the connection when I first read that thread!
I guess I need to buy an old classic UJM to use my magnetic tank bag.Or it's another incentive to get the Norton finished! :D

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived