Anyone increase seat height with shorter dog bones?

Kurgan

I've read about some owners thinking of lowering their FJ with longer dog bones but what about raising it up?  Nothing crazy, maybe 5/8" increased height.  That, combined with proper front springs and rider sag, increase the ground clearance and eliminate some of the worry about snagging the drain plug when going over curbs, etc.

• Premium Member
Ok now... Just think about this! The words lowering link means that the bike IS lower! It's a physical impossibility to lower a seat height and NOT decrease ground clearance!

I have installed the lowering links and ground clearance is same. I don't think increasing or decreasing seat height with dog bones affects ground clearance

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

You are wrong my friend The seat height is lower, but it only affects the distance between the swing arm and the seat
You sure about that? Seems to me that if you reduce the distance from the seat to the swingarm then the swingarm has moved, If the swingarm has moved closer to the seat then the ground clearance has been reduced as well. Also why would it be when lowering a bike that the bike will stand up straighter on the sidestand?  
I don't know maybe I am confused.

I am driving it since May. My garage has a bit steep step when i enter and i can only slowly enter so as not to touch down.
I installed the lowering links about a month now and i found no difference in this maneuver . I cant be sure if there is 1 mm difference of course , just saying there is not noticeble one

I have installed the lowering links and ground clearance is same. I don't think increasing or decreasing seat height with dog bones affects ground clearance
Anytime you change dog bones to longer or shorter ones, ground clearance does change, there's no physical way it can stay the same.

• 2 months later...
>> Anytime you change dog bones to longer or shorter ones, ground clearance does change, there's no physical way it can stay the same. Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/2596/increase-seat-height-shorter-bones#ixzz3xyo2E3qc
<<

Absolutely correct. And that is *why* the bike stands up more on the sidestand, the sidestand has not changed length yet its "reach" to the ground has. Think about it...

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived