FJ-09 in my future,,,

diggerdr

Hello all! I currently own a FJR that is a fine machine for long distance/2 up riding. I am seriously considering a FJ-09 for the shorter rides and solo riding. The 'big girl" does a pretty good job on curvy roads but is a bit heavy. Joined this forum to research the bike and get input from other riders. Wife swears it is a mid life crises.LOL

• Premium Member
I had a 2004 FJR. They are awesome bikes. If you make a couple of upgrades on the FJ09 (wind screen and seat),, here's what will happen. The FJR will be ridden far less, mainly for two up ridding and long trips. The fun factor on the Iighter weight triple is way higher, commuting on it is great and it's great at 1 up touring.

I love both bikes - but I only have room for one and FJ09 is perfect for me.

Does the FJ-09 chew tires if ridden agressively as the FJR does. I am sure that part of the FJR's tire habit is because of weight. And a gruntload of horsepower. Wondering if this would not be as bad on the FJ running the same tires. PR4's on the FJR. Or would Pilot Powers be a better choice? Normally I dont ride hard. But there are times........

• Premium Member
I just put a set of PR4s on the FJ. Not many miles so far, so I can't comment on longevity, but as you can imagine, with the much lighter weight you can expect them to last a long time. Handing is much better compared to stock.

Also a former FJR owner. I'll probably never go back to a heavy sport-tourer again.

Does the FJ-09 chew tires if ridden agressively as the FJR does. I am sure that part of the FJR's tire habit is because of weight. And a gruntload of horsepower. Wondering if this would not be as bad on the FJ running the same tires. PR4's on the FJR. Or would Pilot Powers be a better choice? Normally I dont ride hard. But there are times........
I have run over 28 sets of tires on my FJR.  How many have you, as we could compare mileage?  Which would help you understand my mileage on the FJ. 
This is an new bike, you know?

Tire wear is variable and therefore is too hard to determine without some essential input from you.  If you give some idea of the wear you got on PR3s and PR4s, and Dunlop Roadsmart 2s, etc. I  could give you some idea about the tires I have run on the FJ in relation to those same tires.  These include only the following:  Stock D222 rear and front, (2) Dunlop Roadsmart 2 rear and front, and PR3 rear and PR4 front.

It takes time to do actual road test on mileage.  Anyone that responds without having actually wore out a set of tires is wasting your time.  Maybe ten people could give you a response to tire wear because they actually wore out a rear or front other than the OEMs. If that.

That being said, it appears that I will do approximately 1-1,500 more miles on the rear with a PR3, but that isn't absolute because I haven't finish with it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I've not owned an FJR but I have owned a couple of similarly heavy bikes. These seem to wear the front more rapidly than lighter bikes, presumably as you load the front more when trying to slow the bike and the rear could be waving in the air due to weight transfer :)

It's early days with the Tracer (FJ) but it seems to be following my experience with previous sports bikes and a TDM850, i.e. wear one front tyre to 2 rear tyres.

I found the heavy bikes wore out 2 front tyres for 3 rear tyres. I sometimes changed tyres in pairs for a long trip and had a part worn tyre sat in the garage, which usually got thrown away after it went well past the use by date (5 years according to Continental) as I had changed to a newer model.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I too joined this forum because I lust after an FJ09.
I rented one from Maier in Landshut Germany in July for a 20 day romp in the Alps. Damn I really enjoyed, as they call it over there, the MT09 Tracer! 6f30623681385023286976263c296feb.jpg
I got the red one and my frisking friend got the silver/blue one.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
I too joined this forum because I lust after an FJ09. I rented one from Maier in Landshut Germany in July for a 20 day romp in the Alps. Damn I really enjoyed, as they call it over there, the MT09 Tracer! 6f30623681385023286976263c296feb.jpg
I got the red one and my frisking friend got the silver/blue one.

Did you do a guided tour or was it just point it and see what happens? How much did it cost for the rental? Sounds like a blast! 

I have not had the FJR long enough to get a good baseline on my tire wear. Some other FJR owners seem to chew tires in a hurry. I am going out on a limb here to say the FJ tire wear should not be so bad with the same tires due to the fact it is lighter. I love the Michelins but damn they are pricey. I know if you ask 5 people which tire is better you may get 5 different answers. My solution to the tire question: Buy a bike and find out! The FJR will stay where it is. It is a fantastic machine. Hoping the FJ will be as good. With 2 bikes I may never get the Midnight Maxim reincarnated.

• Premium Member
If you want a cheaper tyre, look at Continental Contimotion - not uses them myselves and unlike my Pan European ST1300 friend, don't worry t00 much about price when it comes to tyres. He doesn't seem any slower when trying to keep up with me and was happy with them on a trip from the UK to the Austrian Tyrol.

of course, he has yet to find out if they last as long as the premium touring tyre like PR4.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
This is a reply to peporter... sorry not used to this forum yet! AND I don't like the black... Changed it...

I found a group on the interwebs... www.alpineroads.com and they were a big help. I did NOT want to do a  guided tour. I have ALWAYS... well since I started riding back in the late 60's wanted to ride the Alps. My wife said, you are not getting any younger and I'm tired of hearing that you want to do this... so GO! So I did! A lot of research later and help from the Alpinroads.com I was off to ride the Alps! They had a map showing the locations of all the passes and so with Garmin Basecamp and the European map set I made my routes!. It worked great! The first 9 days Chris and I were on our own then we met up with a bunch of Finnish riders off the Alpineroads.com forum and rode some of the routes they had and few of our own. When we rode with them we did not ride in one big group which is just the way I like it!
We had a ball and it was truly AMAZING. Only one problem... now I want to go again!

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
This is a reply to peporter... sorry not used to this forum yet! AND I don't like the black... Changed it...  
I found a group on the interwebs... www.alpineroads.com and they were a big help. I did NOT want to do a  guided tour. I have ALWAYS... well since I started riding back in the late 60's wanted to ride the Alps. My wife said, you are not getting any younger and I'm tired of hearing that you want to do this... so GO! So I did! A lot of research later and help from the Alpinroads.com I was off to ride the Alps! They had a map showing the locations of all the passes and so with Garmin Basecamp and the European map set I made my routes!. It worked great! The first 9 days Chris and I were on our own then we met up with a bunch of Finnish riders off the Alpineroads.com forum and rode some of the routes they had and few of our own. When we rode with them we did not ride in one big group which is just the way I like it!
We had a ball and it was truly AMAZING. Only one problem... now I want to go again!

It's easy to get your message lost on just "reply", so click on "Quote" at the top right of the message and what you are replying to will be displayed, and you can answer right below the message.  Is it one of those "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" deals?  How much was the rental of the Tracer?  And, on average, what was the cost of lodging? Did you do any Bed and Breakfasts?  

• Premium Member

It's easy to get your message lost on just "reply", so click on "Quote" at the top right of the message and what you are replying to will be displayed, and you can answer right below the message.  Is it one of those "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" deals?  How much was the rental of the Tracer?  And, on average, what was the cost of lodging? Did you do any Bed and Breakfasts?

Accommodation prices in the Alps vary widely as the stretch from France in the West to Slovenia in the east.

booking.com is a great resource to research hotel prices - Germany & Austria are very cheap compared to France or Switzerland.

I visited Austria last year and we paid about 50 euros per person for half board (bed, breakfast & evening meal) with drinks extra. In France you will pay about 70 euros for a similar standard hotel.

You can book anything from a farmhouse B&B to a 5 star hotel. Many of the winter ski resorts are great summer bases for touring.

If you are going to the Alps for a week or 10 days then I would advocate sticking to one are e.g. Bavaria, French Alps, Italian Alps/Dolomites, Tyrol or Carinthia.

I live in the UK and I have visited much of the Alps from west to East since my first tour in 1994. I ride my own bike so I can help with tour advice but not so much with bike hire prices although this group of hotels offers the hire of BMW bikes at reasonable rates http://www.motorrad-hotel.com/en.html - I've stayed in the Enzian in Landeck and the Weisseespitze which are both excellent places in the Tyrol to base a tour as you can ride in 4 countries in the same day due to the location near the border of Austria with Italy, Switzerland and Germany.

The Silvretta Pass near Landeck in 2010 - I'm on the R1150GS wear the brown jeans.
Silvretta.jpg

and the Dolomites in 2003
MCi%20to%20Dolomites.jpg

and riding the Super Tenere along the Reschen Pass from Italy into the Austrian Tyrol
2014-06-24%2016.41.55.jpeg

• Premium Member

Well in all my figuring... flying to Munich, renting the Tracer and riding for 20 days food, fuel everything. I spent ~ $5,500.00 and I think that is one hell of a deal. Any 10 day guided trip will cost $8,000. The Bike rental for 20 days including insurance miles/kilometers and all was $1,700 euros and at the time the euro was 1.02 so less than $100/day. We stayed in all kinds of places. They have Pensions = which you can get 1/2 board or full.. which means with meals or just breakfast included. We stayed in resorts... The most expensive was a $289/night with breakfast for the two of us and that was in Switzerland. Switzerland was the most expensive since they don't use the euro.
It was the trip of a life time! The guys on the Alpineroads.com want to help... they were great. Next year they are doing there 10th Anniversary trip from Finland and will be riding some of the Italian Alps, French and Spain... all those great Alpine passes. I guess I need to learn how to insert images here... I see the "Insert Image" button but it wants me to put in a url... my photos are on my computer??  Oh well I have almost 1,000 photos. I shot as I rode as I have a point and shoot camera on a lanyard hanging from my neck. This allows me to shot and drop it if I need to and on a couple of passes I did need to drop it. Just hangs there until I can get it and shot again or turn it off... obviously one handed. [/img]

Brick
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Well in all my figuring... flying to Munich, renting the Tracer and riding for 20 days food, fuel everything. I spent ~ $5,500.00 and I think that is one hell of a deal. Any 10 day guided trip will cost $8,000. The Bike rental for 20 days including insurance miles/kilometers and all was $1,700 euros and at the time the euro was 1.02 so less than $100/day. We stayed in all kinds of places. They have Pensions = which you can get 1/2 board or full.. which means with meals or just breakfast included. We stayed in resorts... The most expensive was a $289/night with breakfast for the two of us and that was in Switzerland. Switzerland was the most expensive since they don't use the euro.
It was the trip of a life time! The guys on the Alpineroads.com want to help... they were great. Next year they are doing there 10th Anniversary trip from Finland and will be riding some of the Italian Alps, French and Spain... all those great Alpine passes. I guess I need to learn how to insert images here... I see the "Insert Image" button but it wants me to put in a url... my photos are on my computer??  Oh well I have almost 1,000 photos. I shot as I rode as I have a point and shoot camera on a lanyard hanging from my neck. This allows me to shot and drop it if I need to and on a couple of passes I did need to drop it. Just hangs there until I can get it and shot again or turn it off... obviously one handed. [/img]

Oh, you are soooo right, a bargain indeed! My feeble brain is starting to munch away at the logistics of the thing.....figuring how I could manage a trip like that. As far as your photos go, I recommend you get a SmugMug account and load them up there. That would let you to  edit your pics, and add captions at the bottom of each pic.  Go over to Philsplace dot smugmug dot com and run through some of my galleries just to get an idea of it's potential....the rest of the folks on this forum are welcome to go over also. 

Archived