Dealers not wanting to do throttle body sync at 600mi?

lhancock

• Premium Member
I was a bit leery when I took delivery of my new FJ-09 and the salesperson described the first service as a "glorified oil change".  I called up the service dept and asked them for a price and what work is being done for the 600mi service.  I was told $194+parts and was given the usual oil change / x,y,z point check run down.  When I asked about the throttle body sync the service manager scoffed and said I was the second person to ask that today and he doesn't know where were getting that.  He states the engine syncs the fuel injectors 100's of times a second electronically and it never needs done.  
I then called around to the other few yamaha dealers in the area and asked the same thing.  I was given prices of $238+parts and $250+parts and neither of those included syncs.  One place said including a carb sync would put it between $450-600 +parts.  The last dealer I called stated they "listen" to the bike and only perform one if they feel it sounds like it needs one.  They said they've never seen one that needed it as early as 600mi.  They at least were willing to perform it at my request but billed at 3hrs/ $98per hour.

Is this normal? Are most dealerships just letting you assume they do whats noted for the service intervals? Or just flat out lying about doing it?

I'm not to sure what to do here as I feel the bike might in fact need the sync.  At low speeds ~40mph it bucks around and is far from smooth

Any recommendations for places to have work done in the DC/Baltimore area?  I checked with Glen Burnie Motorsports, Petes Cycle and Hyser

Thanks, Lee

I was told it absolutely should be checked as they are frequently out of sync for the first service. I NEVER have my servicing done at the shop but the guy I spoke with described the process and it sounded like a huge PITA. SO I am thinking it will go in for the first check up and then I will do it myself.

And I was quoted $250 including the sync. Plus i got a $50 coupon from Yammie for taking a survey.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Sounds like you have heard a load of bullcrap Lee.

It clearly states in my UK owner manual to have the throttle sync check done at every service, 600 mile 6k (4k in US), 12k (4k US) etc.

My dealer is pretty good. I am happy they do the service as required - on my last bike they spotted stuff the previous dealer near my previous home had missed.

I've no idea on the labour cost for the 600 mile service. Unlike many UK dealers, my dealer included the labour element of the first service in the purchase price of the bike, so I only paid for the oil, crush washer & filter.

The sync is a pretty easy DIY job but takes time, especially first time as you need to get the tank off plus you need a set of vacuum gauges. There's a "how to". 3 hours for an so called experienced mechanic is taking the piss. He/she should be able to do it in an hour. In the UK, we would have a set time for the job. I'm not sure if this is a European Union requirement or just the practice as it is common in car & bike dealerships to have this type of menu pricing.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Your local dealers are idiots, and obviously haven't even looked at the service schedule. Which clearly shows a throttle body sync at 600 miles. Yes, its a pain in the ass and time consuming. There's only 2 throttle plates to sync, so it's not THAT big of a deal though. Any dealer should be begging you to do it because it means more hours they get to charge for. On the same token, I didn't even check mine at 600 miles as I've heard from several people that they didn't have to adjust anything when they checked.

• Premium Member
I'll bet the sticklers for the manual use the shift points in the manual too :) 
I agree with your dealer. The net is rampant with folks claiming that syncing cures all but it only ever seems to be measured by butt dyno.

I'll sync mine after fueling changes or when I am doing maintenance in that area.
What one would hope is that if a dealer has used a service sheet for the bike and ticked the box to say the recommended procedures have been completed in line with the service manual, then all of those procedures would have been done. Anything else would be dishonest.

Of course, if a dealer offers a choice and an owner chooses a cheaper option one would hope this is recorded properly so that the service schedule is not misrepresented in the future. 

With the reputation of the motor trade I realise this is a rather optimistic notion.

Annoyingly, unlike the TDM850, Yamaha decided to make you remove the tank to check the settings. On the TDM there were rubber hoses connected to the spigots on the carbs. So a check of the carb sync took a couple of minutes. A savvy DIY mechanic could fit some rubber hoses the first time the job is done on the FJ then one could check the balance and only remove the tank to make an adjustment when actually needed.  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Exactly. The TDM is cake - to check sync. The adjustment process was a bit more involved, to be sure. Unfortunately, those carbs needed sync a LOT. That and emulsion tube replacement every 10K.

As a part of a 600 mile look-see the sync would have to be the focal point of the initial service to be worth 200+ dollars. Otherwise, it is truly a glorified oil change. To assume the servicing tech put enough time into the service to check for things like loose fasteners and control adjustments is just wishful thinking. Oil change, tire pressure, a shot of chain lube, a look to see if there are any TSB's affecting that model, then it's off the lift. A lot tech wipes the bike down with some spray-can detailer and a rag that hasn't ever been washed, and its on the ready line waiting for you to over pay.

Dealerships make far more on P&A and service than they do on the sales floor. Additionally, H-D profits more in "motor clothes" sales than they do in the other three departments - combined.

I'll bet the sticklers for the manual use the shift points in the manual too :) 
I agree with your dealer. The net is rampant with folks claiming that syncing cures all but it only ever seems to be measured by butt dyno.

I'll sync mine after fueling changes or when I am doing maintenance in that area.
What one would hope is that if a dealer has used a service sheet for the bike and ticked the box to say the recommended procedures have been completed in line with the service manual, then all of those procedures would have been done. Anything else would be dishonest. 
Of course, if a dealer offers a choice and an owner chooses a cheaper option one would hope this is recorded properly so that the service schedule is not misrepresented in the future. 

With the reputation of the motor trade I realise this is a rather optimistic notion.

Annoyingly, unlike the TDM850, Yamaha decided to make you remove the tank to check the settings. On the TDM there were rubber hoses connected to the spigots on the carbs. So a check of the carb sync took a couple of minutes. A savvy DIY mechanic could fit some rubber hoses the first time the job is done on the FJ then one could check the balance and only remove the tank to make an adjustment when actually needed.  
I do them Every time they are due in the books, almost everyone I have done has been out from the factory, some Suzuki's and Kawasaki's have even had the air bleed screws shut off completely and were way out of balance, I will be adding some good quality vacuum hoses with bungs like my old Fz6 (easiest bike in the world to balance) that I can check them periodically. Will be doing my 1000k service soon so will let you know if they were out. Got 500k's on it already! I'll also see if Yamaha Australia lets you access the Co2 settings so I can richen it up slightly off idle.

• 2 weeks later...
Piece of cake, the hardest part is taking off the body work and tank, even then I was able to do it in an hour from start to finish. To make it easier next time, I placed extended hoses from the vacuum/sync ports out to the right side of the engine compartment under the tank.

I attempted the sync with the airbox on, impossible to get the sync tool in between the intake snorkels, especially between cyl #1 and cyl #2 because the fuel line runs in between the #1/#2 intake snorkels. So I removed the airbox and adjusted the idle air screws to the base and then reinstalled the airbox and double checked the sync, no change between airbox on and airbox off. oh yes, the intake vacuum was off, considerably.

Wessie, great minds think alike "a savvy DIY mechanic"

• Premium Member
My service dept said the mechanics told him if it rides fine then no need at 600 mikes. It's basically up to me and an extra hundred bucks (1 hr. more in labor) so my choice is to have them do it. I'm sticking to the manual and if its required its an extra hundred bucks well spent in my book. I will ask the results of the sync to see if it was spot on it needed a tweak.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

My service dept said the mechanics told him if it rides fine then no need at 600 mikes. It's basically up to me and an extra hundred bucks (1 hr. more in labor) so my choice is to have them do it. I'm sticking to the manual and if its required its an extra hundred bucks well spent in my book. I will ask the results of the sync to see if it was spot on it needed a tweak.

As others have mentioned, no tech can tell if a bike is "spot on" just by listening to it or if it "rides fine". With old carbed bikes, a good ear could hear it. But not with today's FI bikes.

If they are only charging 1-2 hours labor for the break in service WITHOUT the sync, and actually doing everything listed in the book- then charging an extra hour to include the sync is probably reasonable.

If the service is 3-4 hours, then a TB sync better be included.

-Skip

• Premium Member
I agree Skipper. They are charging me two hrs. Labor to do the whole service which to me is reasonable. After that I'll do the basic stuff myself until the big one comes up. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

• Premium Member
O.K. So I had the first service done today including the sync. Came out to with Labor,oil, filter, and washer $290.00 I asked if the sync was off and was told, "Slightly" Well, prior to this service I noticed a slight, "Roughness" or, "Jerkyness" in 2nd. & 3rd while accelerating. It is now smooth as silk. Weather that was part of breaking in or the sync being slightly out, who knows? All I can say she is performing beautifully. There was a check list that showed all that was gone over. So.... a little lighter in the wallet but piece of mind and smoother running puts a big smile on my face. And that is what it's all about... The next services are mine to do till I get to the big one. Life is good...

Most dealer service techs are less qualified than a knowledgeable DIY owner, and the owner actually cares about the bike. The procedure is a pain and time consuming but every Yamaha carb and throttle body I did was very very close and i regret taking half the bike apart to fo it.

My dealer scratched my FJR heavily and failed to attach fuel lines....fired for life.

Your time and money, your bike.

Gotfz always shifts at 3800 rpm per the manual.

• 1 year later...
I had the dealer do the 600 mile service on my first bike. They charged me for 3 quarts of synthetic oil, but there was only 2 quarts in the engine. They said they cleaned and lubed the chain, but a couple days later, I noticed the chain guard about to fall off and saw the the chain was dirty under some white colored grease they put on. The invoice said they checked my air filter, when I checked a few months later, the air box had never been opened. They also dented my rear license plate. 

With my fj-09, I have a Yamaha service manual and have been buying the special tools needed to service it right, including throttle body sync tool, what an easy task that is.. But just one of the vacuum caps is a paint to get to.

I sure felt stupid for trusting those guys at the dealership. If you can read the manual, take the time to understand what you read, and search around some youtube videos, and have some basic skills, you can service your own bike. Not sure I'll do my own valve check, but I know (word of mouth) of a good non-dealer bike mechanic, that I'll probably go to when the time comes. You gotta have some tools and the will to do things for yourself, but it's a way to get to know your bike really well and it's just part of the whole experience. It's not for everyone, but then riding a motorcycle isn't for everyone either.

• Premium Member
Here is a snapshot of the official Yamaha FJ-09 Manual showing the synchronization due at every service interval

Feel free to take it back to your dealer and ask him why he isn't following the Yamaha recommended service. (sorry about the orientation, couldn't get it to show right)

IMG_1182.jpg

Archived