Dealers not wanting to do throttle body sync at 600mi?

lhancock

Although I agree that when taking the bike in for the "periodic maintenance" the dealer should be completing (or at minimum offer to complete) all items on the checklist. I also think that a throttle body sync every 4k miles is not really that necessary (along with some other items such as spark plugs at 8000 miles). Of course it would be good to complete everything on the list at the predetermined intervals, but are they 100% necessary? I doubt it.. but I'm not a mechanic...

Other than rough idle, what problems would out of sync throttle bodies cause?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I also think that a throttle body sync every 4k miles is not really that necessary (along with some other items such as spark plugs at 8000 miles). Of course it would be good to complete everything on the list at the predetermined intervals, but are they 100% necessary? I doubt it.. but I'm not a mechanic...
I asked my mechanic about this as well, he laughed and said "those intervals are way overkill, I dont want to take your money for unnecessary parts and service, the intervals for the TB Sync and spark plugs could easily be twice what the manual recommends." 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Although I agree that when taking the bike in for the "periodic maintenance" the dealer should be completing (or at minimum offer to complete) all items on the checklist. I also think that a throttle body sync every 4k miles is not really that necessary (along with some other items such as spark plugs at 8000 miles). Of course it would be good to complete everything on the list at the predetermined intervals, but are they 100% necessary? I doubt it.. but I'm not a mechanic... 
Other than rough idle, what problems would out of sync throttle bodies cause?
  It may hurt your time a bit if your trying to set a speed record out on the salt flats, or if you sit in traffic idiling alot and thats all you have think about. Mines been out of sinc for a while now as I can here it surging slightly under a trailing throttle but it's running great and idling as smooth as a 3 cylinder probably ever will so I'm not going to mess with it until I'm forced to remove that damn tank again.
BLB

Archived