2016 FJ-09 Gathering Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge?

richlandrick

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
The Iron Horse is very nice but its not cheap. Last time I stayed there it was mostly Harleys and a bunch of different types of 3 wheeled things ridden by some fancy lookin folks, and it's also dry county.

The Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso,  N.C. is a very cool spot. They have bunkhouses and camping and their right off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Also Maggie Valley has lots of motels, cabins and camping and there's plenty of resturants and liquor stores there.

From Maggy and Cruso you have more options to ride further north, up through Hot Springs and into the Nolichucky Valley area, or up around Spruce Pine and Little Switzerland. Once you ride those areas you forget about deals gap, unless you like riding in parades that is.

If you need more suggestions let me know, I've been exploring these areas for the last 25 years.

BLB

• Premium Member
The Iron Horse is very nice but its not cheap. Last time I stayed there it was mostly Harleys and a bunch of different types of 3 wheeled things ridden by some fancy lookin folks, and it's also dry county. 
The Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso,  N.C. is a very cool spot. They have bunkhouses and camping and their right off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Also Maggie Valley has lots of motels, cabins and camping and there's plenty of resturants and liquor stores there.

From Maggy and Cruso you have more options to ride further north, up through Hot Springs and into the Nolichucky Valley area, or up around Spruce Pine and Little Switzerland. Once you ride those areas you forget about deals gap, unless you like riding in parades that is.

If you need more suggestions let me know, I've been exploring these areas for the last 25 years.

Also, you might try http://www.scottishwoods.com/  , run bu a Ducati enthusiast, and a friend. Motorcycles are most welcome here! 

• Premium Member

Also, you might try http://www.scottishwoods.com/  , run bu a Ducati enthusiast, and a friend. Motorcycles are most welcome here!
Link to Scottish Woods is dead 

and it's about 2600 miles one way from Seattle to the Iron Horse Lodge, so I'm not likely going to be able to make it

• Premium Member
I'm self employed so I adjust my work schedule around my riding trips because a wise man once told me that's the way your supposed to do it.

So you can count me in on whatever dates you come up with from July through October. I usually do several week long trips up there during these months anyway.
BLB

• Premium Member
I attend the Women's Sportbike Rally, every year, at Deal's Gap. I have visited at Iron Horse and it was a very nice facility, with great staff. It is not cheap though, as mentioned earlier. The places near Maggie Valley and the Blue Ridge Parkway sound good too.

• Premium Member
Link to Scottish Woods is dead 

and it's about 2600 miles one way from Seattle to the Iron Horse Lodge, so I'm not likely going to be able to make it
Try www.scottishwoods.com  without the forward slash. Should work. scottishwoods.com  reasonable rates. 

• Premium Member
I'm in. Aug 26-29 is the weekend I can do. The wife blessed it, too. I might make Aug 25, but it would be late.

Give me the name of a place and I'll make a reservation. There is also TWO in Suches. http://twowheelsofsuches.com

Would like to try to go here: http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com

The Gap is fun, but I'll hit that early and/or Monday morning. Done Cherohala and the Blue Ridge, but not much of anything else. Don't feel like I need to do either on of those for a while. Foothill Parkway is fun, and I'd do it again.

• Premium Member
This is where we stayed the last time we were up in Aprial, it looks like its available for the end of August but that can change quickly. This place has 10 beds, 3 bathrooms, washer & dryer, wifi, fireplace, game room with pool table and a 2 car garage.

This is one of the best area's to stay because everything you need is close buy and thats not usually the case in these parts. It sucks to ride all day and then have to go 50 miles to get some beer or food when you get back.

And from this location you can basically ride out in all directions so you have lots of options to do different roads every day. This is especially nice when the weather gets lousy, if its raining to the north, you just head south. Also its abouts 5 minutes up the hill to the Blue Ridge Parkway and about an hour from the Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap.

You can't beat the deal on these cabins when you split the cost between the group, its even cheaper than a motel and motels suck anyway.

https://www.vrbo.com/381654

BLB

• Premium Member
This is where we stayed the last time we were up in Aprial, it looks like its available for the end of August but that can change quickly. This place has 10 beds, 3 bathrooms, washer & dryer, wifi, fireplace, game room with pool table and a 2 car garage. ...

Looks great, but, IMO, we need a head count of 6 to make it worth it compared to the other campground/cabin site listed. 
Headcount for Aug 25 - 29?  List what NIGHTS you'll be there, please.

Do we need mods to move this to a new thread of its own?

• Premium Member
Yes I agree it needs to be moved, its kinda buried in a regional forum.

Seems there should be a section for trip and event planning but I don't see one.

And possibly renamed to (The Great First Annual Eastern fj-09 Rendezvous) or something like that.
BLB

Archived