Harsh ride

vrex

Having ridden my FJ through one riding season now, I've got it set up pretty much the way I like it, and am generally pretty pleased with the bike. One thing still irritates sometimes: the suspension seems very harsh over sharp-edged bumps, even though the preload adjuster is on its softest setting. The fact that I only weigh 155 pounds probably doesn't help. Has anyone else felt this, and is there any fix for it?

Have you adjusted the rebound at all? Preload is just for setting sag. Once you've set the sag properly with preload, you'll want to set rebound. This is done with a flathead on the right fork, and on the rear shock.

These bikes do not have compression adjustment, so that coupled with progressive springs don't allow for much adjustment.

My recommendation is to look in the suspension forum on here, and get an idea of what others are doing. Common upgrades are a Penske double clicker rear shock (allows for rebound and compression) and fork internal upgrades to allow for rebound and compression.

• Premium Member
Having ridden my FJ through one riding season now, I've got it set up pretty much the way I like it, and am generally pretty pleased with the bike. One thing still irritates sometimes: the suspension seems very harsh over sharp-edged bumps, even though the preload adjuster is on its softest setting. The fact that I only weigh 155 pounds probably doesn't help. Has anyone else felt this, and is there any fix for it?
Nope, that pretty much sums up the stock suspension. I went Penske and Andrianoni fork cartridges for a much improved ride and great handling on the track also.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I weigh about 170 so can't comment on the fix for your weight. But dialing in preload and rebound should do the trick. I got the andreani cartridges for the forks and ride quality is actually worse on bumpy roads. Great on smooth stuff. There just seems to be too much high speed compression and not enough low speed

• Premium Member
I weigh about 170 so can't comment on the fix for your weight. But dialing in preload and rebound should do the trick. I got the andreani cartridges for the forks and ride quality is actually worse on bumpy roads. Great on smooth stuff. There just seems to be too much high speed compression and not enough low speed
I wonder which fork oil you used, because I am quite happy with my Andreani cartridges. I used BelRay. I also went with the Penske in the back, so I am balanced.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I was able to adjust the stock suspension to get rid of the harshness on the square edges. It was not great but at least it was not jarring. I have also read that after 5-7k miles it softens and smooths out. I suspect thius is due to the fork oil wearing down and thus you could simply go with a lower weight fork oil to get most of that result immediately.

The spring will also break in as well but that has less to do with small, sharp corners. I have just installed the andreanis and have not had a chance to ride yet. I suspect the oil I used is to viscous and will have a response that is somewhat stiffened. I hope to get some ride time next week and do some dialing in. I have read many reviews of the andreanis on both FJ's and Fz's where the peeps where quite happy so it sounds like you need to play with your settings/oil weight.

After doing the install I can see how it would be easy to slide of one fork at a time for the oil change.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
To the OP, Try adding some preload. Mine felt super stiff at the stock settings. I put a zip tie on the fork to monitor how much the suspension was compressing, and found that I was bottoming out immedietely. I know you only way 150, but if you truely have the preload set at zero front and rear, I bet you are bottoming and feeling the hits as harsh suspension. Adding preload made mine smoother. It costs nothing and is pretty fun to play with the settings.
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

Archived