Sargent Seat Email Reply 11/12

ssdan

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Strange they are so slow. Back in 1993 I had a brand new Honda CBR900RR (Fireblade in EU). Checked with Corbin, they told me they did not have one yet but if I would bring them my bike they would use it for the prototype and make it while I waited. At the time I lived in San Francisco so riding to Hollister was no big deal. I got there in the morning, hung out there for about 4 hours (they bought me lunch in their cafeteria and i got to tour the facility and see their cool little bike museum. They finished the seat and I rode back home.

Why does Sargent need weeks or months to do what Corbin did while I waited? Mind you, I have had 3 or 4 Sargents on various motorcycles and was very happy with all of them, but this is silly. The FJ-09 is Yamaha's fastest selling bike!

DocSimple complained: "and every Corbin I have ever sat on felt like a rock!"

Not mine! I ordered 2 weeks ago (from Darrell Stueckel) from Corbin. I told him that I had a very boney ass due to my extreme weight loss from chemo/rad and he said he'd tell production to see if they could do something. They did!! The top layer is very cushy, maybe 3/4"  of "give" - definitely softer than the last 2 Corbins I've had.

Additionally, Corbin offers free adjustments to your seat within, I think, a 60 day period. Just tell 'em what needs adjusting and ship it to them. FWIW, the shipping weight for the seat was 15.6 lbs (about 7 kilos)...

PS: And ohhhh, that new leather smell - YOWZA!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Premium Member
I got this response: Hello Johan
it does take a surprisingly long time actually.
A bike needs to be repeatedly sourced for the various stages of pattern development, which can take time.
Plus there is the development of injection moulds etc, another time-extensive process.
Then, there is testing, re-design, re-testing etc etc.
Quality products take time!
You can follow the latest developments via this webpage: http://bit.ly/20sWah1

If they can't get it together by the beginning of March I'm goin to corbin

Hey, it's your butt.
I don't recommend Corbin unless you do a ride in. Their off the shelf selection always takes inches away from the pillion and adds it to the rider.

The Sargent seat I bought for my gen2 FZ1 was only designed for people under 180lbs. It was worse than stock for my 230+lb frame (other than successfully preventing the dreaded forward slide nut crush). I loved the look of it, but could only ride for 10 minutes before my sitting bones felt bruised. I'm curious how the FJ Sargent seat will be for us clydesdales...
'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Archived