Oil pan damage-Moded or not, with part numbers

peporter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bruinfj09guy
A question: How many of you that have done the mod (http://fj-09.org/thread/540/low-profile-drain-plug-install) have cratered your oil pan? How many of you that HAVE NOT done the mod have cratered your oil pan?

Don't know how to do a survey or I would do it that way.

Good question. Is the 1/2-5/8" clearance gained really going to prevent damage? It seems to me that most strikes that would reach the stock pan would probably reach the modded pan. Maybe the lack of the centralized point of impact means distributed force and less likely breakage??? 

The little fin they put on there seems like it does more bad than good. I get the they're trying to protect the bolt but instead if the pan gets hit then it'll just punch the fin straight into the oil pan.

I don't know how much of a problem it is for most people though. A lot of bikes should have the same issue... The roads here in CA are in terrible shape though so there are always big dips and valleys with odd mounds sticking up just waiting to hit the undercarriage. Plus goat roads are fun to bomb around on ;)

If its a big diff i might switch pans down the line.... Unless that requires pulling the engine! In a perfect world someone comes up with a simple bash plate and problem = solved.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I wonder if the new pan is also thicker. The 2016 parts fiches are still showing the old model.
What was the part number on the package for the new one?

The oil pan should be replaceable without removing the engine. Possibly without removing the exhaust.

> and they should say "[img style=max-width:100%][img style=max-width:100%]image url goes here"

the quotes are so it will show as these are normally hidden controls for the forum.

shete I don't know how to post the pics.
just the link

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

fixed that top one. let me know if you have any more issues posting the pics!

I want to see pics of this incredibly simple fix that no one at Yamaha thought of when they were adding that dumb fin! B-|
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived