Be very mindful upon taking delivery of new bikes

• Premium Member
Today a friend pointed out to me that my front wheel axle was almost completely spun out.  I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't notice this myself.  Especially when I looked back at photos of when I took delivery 600 miles ago and saw that it has been that way the entire time.  I'll be having a very spirited conversation with the dealer tomorrow afternoon

2ykg7ie.jpg 9s6lc1.jpg

• Premium Member
Holy smokes. Yeah, to take delivery of the bike like that... wow.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
This is unfortunately common. This should be mandatory reading:

linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Let me guess, I bet the front brake lever would go way down after a turn sometimes, right? ( wheel slides over, pushes brake pad out. )

At least it did on mine before I discovered my axle was a turn out. Pinch bolt was tight at least.

That far out...wow! rant.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Let me guess, I bet the front brake lever would go way down after a turn sometimes, right? ( wheel slides over, pushes brake pad out. ) 
At least it did on mine before I discovered my axle was a turn out. Pinch bolt was tight at least.

That far out...wow! rant.gif

Ty

omg yes! it was driving me crazy lol 

• Premium Member
Just back from the dealer. Beyond torquing everything up, they gave the bike its first service and the mechanic ran through the disassembly and syncing with me (it was in sync). They also threw in free rear spindles and a Ram mount for my mobile. So about $300 worth of please dont spread this around lol.  Definitely not worth the danger it put me in but its a decent attempt to make things right.

4143907.jpg  

• Premium Member
I'm really glad to hear you got satisfactory service from your dealer. I wish MY dealer had treated me this well. Sounds like a good business owner / manager there.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Thanks for not plastering the dealership all over the interwebz. It always amazes me when people jump the gun in these situations. People are human; they make mistakes. It's how you resolve those mistakes that defines the quality of service. It sounds like the dealership went above and beyond. I think you should retitle your thread....

• Premium Member
Thanks for not plastering the dealership all over the interwebz. It always amazes me when people jump the gun in these situations. People are human; they make mistakes. It's how you resolve those mistakes that defines the quality of service. It sounds like the dealership went above and beyond. I think you should retitle your thread....
Great first post with no introduction or anything. A mistake like that could cost somebody their life. Are you from that dealership? eyes_zpsjv0eqh58.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Great first post with no introduction or anything. A mistake like that could cost somebody their life. Are you from that dealership? eyes_zpsjv0eqh58.gif
haha I do agree though. I was thinking of updating the title anyway.  The dealer is irrelevant as unfortunately this has happened many places.  The guys I dealt with were more than willing to set things right that's all that counts.

haha I do agree though. I was thinking of updating the title anyway.  The dealer is irrelevant as unfortunately this has happened many places.  The guys I dealt with were more than willing to set things right that's all that counts.
i agree. I had loose bolts all over the front end and falling out on the way home. My situation wasn't as big of a safety issue as yours, admittedly. All I got was a $25 gift card that brought their accessory prices down to about what I could find them online and a "so what" attitude. Sounds like your dealer made a mistake but was willing to admit to it and try their best to fix it. Gotta respect that.

• Premium Member
Sorry you had this experience Lee. Must be very frustrating and hopefully the dealer will ensure the Saturday boy is supervised better when prepping bikes.

I guess one of the reasons we pay higher prices in the UK is that the Yamaha importer has a pretty decent network of mainly solus dealerships. There is a culture of frequent mystery shopper exercises to ensure quality is maintained.

A decade ago we had a number of large multi-franchise, multi-outlet bike supermarkets. Few survive as they could not keep customers and the pile them high, sell them cheap and rely on finance add-ons, servicing contracts etc copied from the car market was a huge flop. Bike buyers will pay a premium for quality and service in the UK.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived